SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 22, 2012, 11:32 AM
Joined Nov 2007
1,771 Posts
Nice looking wing! Do you have any dimensions you could share?

I see you have the servo's mounted pretty far back. Any problems w/ getting the CG forward enough with the weight of the motor AND the Servo's at the back end?

Where IS your CG?

Thanks!
Flyboy Steve is offline Find More Posts by Flyboy Steve
to remove ads between posts
Old May 22, 2012, 08:42 PM
SoCal SlowFlyer
United States, CA, Glendale
Joined Nov 2009
189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy Steve View Post
Nice looking wing! Do you have any dimensions you could share?

I see you have the servo's mounted pretty far back. Any problems w/ getting the CG forward enough with the weight of the motor AND the Servo's at the back end?

Where IS your CG?

Thanks!
Flyboy,

I made this from the original plans (31" wingspan). Here's my previous post:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1492

The servos were place a little behind due to short control rods, but the CG is still about 7-8" from the nose. Since I'm using a 1300 mAh lipo, I did add a little weight (fishing sinker) under the nose. It's really a simple and easy build.

Cheers!

Steve
StevoRC is offline Find More Posts by StevoRC
RCG Plus Member
Old May 23, 2012, 01:24 PM
Flying low is expensive.
United States, CO, Boulder
Joined Jul 2008
2,398 Posts
Hey guys, I need some assistance here... ms.pdiddyg40 and myself are going to start on the build of a ~5 foot bluecore wing for night flying. I'd like to keep the plane somewhat light in order to be able to fly it at night (it's never fun to fly quickly when you can't see the trees, hah)

So I'm trying to spitball for an ideal motor size. I was thinking of making it a tractor prop instead of pusher for the sake of simplictiy. Would a ~1000kv motor in the 75 gram range on a 3 cell do the job? Or am I going to need something a bit more hefty?

thanks for your thoughts.
-P.D.
pdiddyg40 is offline Find More Posts by pdiddyg40
Old May 23, 2012, 04:47 PM
KFC
Blue Foam Master!!!
United States, KY, Hanson
Joined May 2007
2,560 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdiddyg40 View Post
Hey guys, I need some assistance here... ms.pdiddyg40 and myself are going to start on the build of a ~5 foot bluecore wing for night flying. I'd like to keep the plane somewhat light in order to be able to fly it at night (it's never fun to fly quickly when you can't see the trees, hah)

So I'm trying to spitball for an ideal motor size. I was thinking of making it a tractor prop instead of pusher for the sake of simplictiy. Would a ~1000kv motor in the 75 gram range on a 3 cell do the job? Or am I going to need something a bit more hefty?

thanks for your thoughts.
-P.D.
That will be just about right for a good night flyer. I've built a bunch of illuminated wings at that size and that is the setup I use.

AfterDark LED sequencer flight test (2 min 33 sec)
KFC is offline Find More Posts by KFC
Old May 23, 2012, 05:12 PM
Flying low is expensive.
Joined Jul 2008
2,398 Posts
Hey KFC, nice build! I looked at your blog to see if you had any specs for the wing in the video above, but didn't come up with anything. Do you happen to know what motor you're using on that? Would you say you have enough power?

Thanks!
Old May 23, 2012, 07:12 PM
KFC
Blue Foam Master!!!
Joined May 2007
2,560 Posts
Quote:
Hey KFC, nice build! I looked at your blog to see if you had any specs for the wing in the video above, but didn't come up with anything. Do you happen to know what motor you're using on that? Would you say you have enough power?

Thanks!
The motor on that one is a little AXI 2212/16 or something along those lines. Power isn't superb, but it is adequate and it lets me run the lights and the motor off the same 1300 mAh battery. If I were going to make a recommendation for a 5 foot span illuminated wing, I'd go with a TowerPro 2408-12. Excellent power, fairly lightweight, Kv is just right. Nice balance all around.
Old May 23, 2012, 09:00 PM
Flying low is expensive.
Joined Jul 2008
2,398 Posts
For some reason, I'm getting a little power hungry over here. I thought that it would take a >75gram motor with a 35 Amp ESC on a 2200 3 cell to get the job done?

And you're saying that a 50 gram motor pulling 20 amps on a 1300 pack will suffice? That's perfect! I actually have a TP 2408-12 sitting in an unused plane hanging from the ceiling. Maybe it'll get purposed!
Old May 23, 2012, 09:54 PM
Joined Nov 2007
1,771 Posts
With the "thrill" of night landings, you may want to reconsider a pusher rather than a tractor. The prop and motor are more protected in a pusher configuration.
Flyboy Steve is offline Find More Posts by Flyboy Steve
Old May 23, 2012, 10:56 PM
KFC
Blue Foam Master!!!
Joined May 2007
2,560 Posts
Quote:
For some reason, I'm getting a little power hungry over here. I thought that it would take a >75gram motor with a 35 Amp ESC on a 2200 3 cell to get the job done?

And you're saying that a 50 gram motor pulling 20 amps on a 1300 pack will suffice? That's perfect! I actually have a TP 2408-12 sitting in an unused plane hanging from the ceiling. Maybe it'll get purposed!
My 'unlimited power' setup is a Turnigy 2217/16, 25 amp ESC, 3s 1350 mah 25c rhino pack and a 9x7.5 prop, and that one will accelerate going straight up. The lighter you can make it, the less power you have to have to make it fly. None of my rigs weigh much over a pound RTF.
Old May 24, 2012, 03:46 AM
Will work for foam
United States, WI, Muskego
Joined Apr 2005
1,502 Posts
pdiddyg40 - A 2408-12 is rather light for a 60". I built a 54" (heavy for FPV) and did very well with a 2217 motor. Get either 1000 Kv version 2217-16 (Delta) or 2217-9 (Wye) and you should do just fine.
wingnutt is offline Find More Posts by wingnutt
Old May 24, 2012, 07:28 AM
KFC
Blue Foam Master!!!
Joined May 2007
2,560 Posts
Quote:

2408-12 was a typo. my bad. It's actually 2409-18. 180watts and 65g. Run it on 3s with a APC 9x4.5e prop and you will have the perfect combo of power when you need it and slow/floaty when you want to coast. I've built a couple hundred of 'em at this size and this recipe hasn't failed me yet. Sorry for the error.
Last edited by KFC; May 24, 2012 at 07:34 AM.
Old May 24, 2012, 10:00 AM
Flying low is expensive.
Joined Jul 2008
2,398 Posts
Alright guys, those figures make more sense to me. Thanks for all of the help! Just to confirm, is this the motor that you guys are mentioning? http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Outrunner.html

That's more along the line of the size motor that I was thinking about.

That being said, I think that the 2408-12 might be a good candidate for a lift into the 31" wing. It's either that or a 24 gram BW setup. thoughts?

@KFC: You've built a couple HUNDRED of these wings?
Old May 24, 2012, 11:15 AM
KFC
Blue Foam Master!!!
Joined May 2007
2,560 Posts
Quote:
Alright guys, those figures make more sense to me. Thanks for all of the help! Just to confirm, is this the motor that you guys are mentioning? http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Outrunner.html

That's more along the line of the size motor that I was thinking about.

That being said, I think that the 2408-12 might be a good candidate for a lift into the 31" wing. It's either that or a 24 gram BW setup. thoughts?

@KFC: You've built a couple HUNDRED of these wings?
Probably around 150-200 of my own 5 foot version. I use the basic construction method, but I changed almost everything else to fit my own requirements. I use em for everything from FPV to night flying to whatever else enters my head. I've also done 8, 10, 12, and 14 foot variations of this same kind of construction.
Old May 24, 2012, 12:06 PM
Home of "Golf Cart Flying"
Griffin GA
Joined Aug 2008
8,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KFC View Post
Probably around 150-200 of my own 5 foot version. I use the basic construction method, but I changed almost everything else to fit my own requirements. I use em for everything from FPV to night flying to whatever else enters my head. I've also done 8, 10, 12, and 14 foot variations of this same kind of construction.
I know Ive seen 50 of them or more!
pecanpatch is online now Find More Posts by pecanpatch
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Tiggers Big Show
Old May 24, 2012, 04:55 PM
Flying low is expensive.
Joined Jul 2008
2,398 Posts
Alright, well I won't ask you for your trade secrets, but would you mind sharing what bracing you typically use on your 5 footers? I was considering buying two 3 foot carbon tubes to put into the wing, but do you use something more effective?