SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Apr 29, 2011, 11:34 AM
It's gone...
_OZ_'s Avatar
Joined Aug 2004
5,130 Posts
KFC,I love the NASCAR spin-out at the end
_OZ_ is online now Find More Posts by _OZ_
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 30, 2011, 12:28 AM
Registered User
ckreef's Avatar
Danville, GA
Joined Aug 2010
824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OZ_ View Post
KFC,I love the NASCAR spin-out at the end
+ 1,000 I wish I would have seen that in person.
ckreef is offline Find More Posts by ckreef
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2011, 03:20 PM
Registered User
daydreamer's Avatar
colorado
Joined Nov 2003
459 Posts
Man! hobbycity saves you alot of cash. 6 gws props at LHS = $9 one BL motor comparible $40 and 750mah lipo $35 Total $84. Hobbycity $24. Now thats worth the wait in the mail : ) Sorry guys just had to share my Joy...
daydreamer is offline Find More Posts by daydreamer
Reply With Quote
Old May 03, 2011, 06:10 PM
Registered User
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Mar 2010
197 Posts
Have any of you guys tried making an EDF wing yet?
fishon2 is offline Find More Posts by fishon2
Reply With Quote
Old May 05, 2011, 11:54 PM
Unregistered User
Calgary, AB
Joined Jan 2009
51 Posts
Technially not a bluecor wing, as I made this out of Cellfoam 88. All I could find local here. This is my first wing, my first wing build, my first foam build at all really. Been flying an easystar for a few years now and keep seeing these wings and they peak my interest.

One thing I know I made a mistake on was the motor is too far back, making it hard for me to balance with the battery pack having to be so far forward on the nose. I will probably fix that if (more like when) it breaks off. I do also plan on sinking the battery pack and RX into the fuse on the next build, but i was too unsure of CoG for this time...

I set my radio up for elevon mixing and verified proper movement of control surfaces. I set some up elevator trim as I have seen mentioned in a few threads and comments. Only thing left now is to try it I guess...

Any other tips for a first time wing builder/flier? I am not expecting this first build to last long, but I could get lucky and not destroy it on the first launch.

Pics attached

thanks!
steve



sleverage is offline Find More Posts by sleverage
Reply With Quote
Old May 06, 2011, 12:57 AM
SoCal SlowFlyer
StevoRC's Avatar
United States, CA, Glendale
Joined Nov 2009
189 Posts
Nice job! Good luck with the maiden!
StevoRC is offline Find More Posts by StevoRC
RCG Plus Member
Old May 06, 2011, 11:02 AM
Registered User
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Mar 2010
197 Posts
What motor are you using? It looks like a really big batter. You shouldn't have any CG problems, just put the batter as far forward as possible and give the elevons 15% up as the center for your trim.
fishon2 is offline Find More Posts by fishon2
Reply With Quote
Old May 06, 2011, 12:11 PM
Registered User
daydreamer's Avatar
colorado
Joined Nov 2003
459 Posts
Would any one be interested in buying wing cores of this wing. Probably $15+ shipping I've cut a few before but for my enjoyment only. And it was using bead foam , I will cut these with blue foam. Just checking before I try and cut them. I took the original airfoil from my original plan and used it. Daydreamer.
daydreamer is offline Find More Posts by daydreamer
Reply With Quote
Old May 06, 2011, 01:35 PM
Unregistered User
Calgary, AB
Joined Jan 2009
51 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishon2 View Post
What motor are you using? It looks like a really big batter. You shouldn't have any CG problems, just put the batter as far forward as possible and give the elevons 15% up as the center for your trim.
Its a tower pro motor I think. says 2410-9 on it and thats about it. I have a turnigy plush 10A esc for that. the prop in the pics is a busted prop that was just on there temporarily, but normally its a 6x4. the lipo is a 3s 1800

This is stuff I just had around... not really in the budget to buy new things so its a matter of tuning the airframe to match my gear instead of the usual other way around. I have 4 of these motor and esc so it would be nice to be able to use them.

My AUW with that battery is 433 grams...
sleverage is offline Find More Posts by sleverage
Last edited by sleverage; May 06, 2011 at 01:43 PM. Reason: add weight measurements to post
Reply With Quote
Old May 06, 2011, 01:38 PM
Unregistered User
Calgary, AB
Joined Jan 2009
51 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daydreamer View Post
Would any one be interested in buying wing cores of this wing. Probably $15+ shipping I've cut a few before but for my enjoyment only. And it was using bead foam , I will cut these with blue foam. Just checking before I try and cut them. I took the original airfoil from my original plan and used it. Daydreamer.

if you would ship them to canada and could provide pics of an example of your stuff, id definitely consider it. Problem I am running into is a lot of the materials are simply unavailable to me in Canada. Even finding Depron is like trying to find a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow... so elusive. This Cellfoam 88 build I did is not impressive in terms of structural strength so alternatives would be welcomed.

steve
sleverage is offline Find More Posts by sleverage
Reply With Quote
Old May 06, 2011, 04:52 PM
Registered User
daydreamer's Avatar
colorado
Joined Nov 2003
459 Posts
I could do that. It would probably be more exspensive than to ship in the states/ Lower 48. I want to cut some practice ones 1st though. So I know they'll be good. I will post them when all is ok.
daydreamer is offline Find More Posts by daydreamer
Reply With Quote
Old May 06, 2011, 07:06 PM
Chino Renegade oh-gee, yo
Wrench66's Avatar
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Feb 2008
2,578 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleverage View Post
Its a tower pro motor I think. says 2410-9 on it and thats about it. I have a turnigy plush 10A esc for that. the prop in the pics is a busted prop that was just on there temporarily, but normally its a 6x4. the lipo is a 3s 1800

This is stuff I just had around... not really in the budget to buy new things so its a matter of tuning the airframe to match my gear instead of the usual other way around. I have 4 of these motor and esc so it would be nice to be able to use them.

My AUW with that battery is 433 grams...
That motor isn't going to spin fast enough to use that prop on.......the KV is only 900 or so and on 3s those will normally spin a 10-11in prop. You will want a motor in the 1800-2000kv range, and as a bonus the motors will prolly be a little lighter........the 2410-9 is a little over 60grams and the faster, smaller 1800kv I use on my wings are approx 35 to 40grams.

You will love that wing
Wrench66 is offline Find More Posts by Wrench66
Reply With Quote
Old May 06, 2011, 09:56 PM
Unregistered User
Calgary, AB
Joined Jan 2009
51 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrench66 View Post
That motor isn't going to spin fast enough to use that prop on.......the KV is only 900 or so and on 3s those will normally spin a 10-11in prop. You will want a motor in the 1800-2000kv range, and as a bonus the motors will prolly be a little lighter........the 2410-9 is a little over 60grams and the faster, smaller 1800kv I use on my wings are approx 35 to 40grams.

You will love that wing

oh ok... that sucks. it does seem to have some decent thrust on the 3s, probably burn it out if I keep using it the way it is... however being that i have four of them I may just try it with this motor while i wait on an order from hobbyking... since I can't get anything like that local.

I do have the 10x4.7 props that I was using with these motors for a multicopter but I thought it would be ridiculous to cut 10" out of the wing to fit that giant prop :P

this whole motor/prop/battery/esc sizing thing is still new to me so hope I can get a proper motor so I can fully enjoy this thing

THanks Wrench66
sleverage is offline Find More Posts by sleverage
Reply With Quote
Old May 06, 2011, 11:37 PM
Registered User
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Mar 2010
197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleverage View Post
oh ok... that sucks. it does seem to have some decent thrust on the 3s, probably burn it out if I keep using it the way it is... however being that i have four of them I may just try it with this motor while i wait on an order from hobbyking... since I can't get anything like that local.

I do have the 10x4.7 props that I was using with these motors for a multicopter but I thought it would be ridiculous to cut 10" out of the wing to fit that giant prop :P

this whole motor/prop/battery/esc sizing thing is still new to me so hope I can get a proper motor so I can fully enjoy this thing

THanks Wrench66
Here is a thought. Go to hobbypartz and put 64mm edf unit on it. It enhances the planes performance 10 times.
fishon2 is offline Find More Posts by fishon2
Reply With Quote
Old May 07, 2011, 08:44 AM
Registered User
ckreef's Avatar
Danville, GA
Joined Aug 2010
824 Posts
Sleverage, good luck on the maiden. I find the initial flight is always the trickiest until you get it dialed in. Be prepared for a wacky 1st flight. Until it's dialed in it can be a handful. If you can get a helper to move your trim buttons why you control that 1st flight is always helpful especially if it is way off.
ckreef is offline Find More Posts by ckreef
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
QueenBee: 100" EPP wing build & fly thread Pjotrrr Foamies (Kits) 186 Jul 29, 2012 04:21 AM
Bluecor "Arado Projekt" Build Thread jimsky Foamies (Kits) 82 Sep 12, 2009 09:43 PM
ST Model Wing build thread scotta Flying Wings 20 Nov 14, 2005 06:01 PM
"Thunder" experimental wing build thread Ryan Archer Flying Wings 8 Jan 22, 2005 05:06 PM
Overlord Build Thread - My first wing. Bernoulli~Bros Flying Wings 79 Aug 15, 2004 06:50 PM