SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 20, 2011, 10:16 AM
IFO's are planes too
Petersburg, Va.
Joined Dec 2008
432 Posts
I'm sad to report that my 34" Blucor Wing is no more.
Well, it's in two pieces now after it went into a tuck dive and wouldn't pull out.
All is not lost as the gear was undamaged and can be installed into a new airframe. Sounds like an excuse to build etc another one of these wings.
Down to two wings now but I have a 48" on the bench 80% done, so I'm not sweating it.
I'll post pics of it when it's done.
Al.
atone1 is offline Find More Posts by atone1
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 20, 2011, 04:52 PM
Air Crash Expert
Louisiana
Joined Oct 2005
1,212 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atone1 View Post
I'm sad to report that my 34" Blucor Wing is no more.
Well, it's in two pieces now after it went into a tuck dive and wouldn't pull out.
All is not lost as the gear was undamaged and can be installed into a new airframe. Sounds like an excuse to build etc another one of these wings.
Down to two wings now but I have a 48" on the bench 80% done, so I'm not sweating it.
I'll post pics of it when it's done.
Al.
Dude?? What happened ?
My fleet has been diminished as well (I like to crash ).
The big wing has DOSD on board now and my Divinity 2 has been sitting patiently, all alone due to high winds of late. Was just thinking of a 48" build also....great minds think alike ??
Been spending too much time prepping my other flier....powered paraglider (real one, not RC)
sawman is offline Find More Posts by sawman
Old Apr 20, 2011, 06:30 PM
IFO's are planes too
Petersburg, Va.
Joined Dec 2008
432 Posts
Sawman - I came out of a nice loop and the wing wouldn't pull out on the down side of it. I did everything I could think of, in the 5 seconds till dirt nap.
All I know to do now is build another 34" wing so I can figure out why.
The step at the trailing edge right before the elevons could have had something to do with the crash. I didn't bevel the back of one panel so it left me with a 1/4" step on the bottom. The wind was blowing around 14 mph too.
YA, that's it I'll blame it on the wind and not my piloting skills.
The wind?
Old Apr 20, 2011, 07:00 PM
SoCal SlowFlyer
United States, CA, Glendale
Joined Nov 2009
189 Posts
Where do you guys normally set your throws/travel? And any expo?

I had a similar issue that it didn't pull up fast enough; maybe I was too close to the ground...

Steve
StevoRC is offline Find More Posts by StevoRC
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 20, 2011, 10:05 PM
Air Crash Expert
Louisiana
Joined Oct 2005
1,212 Posts
Oh, yes it was most certainly the wind....

Stevo, I constantly have problems with the ground reducing altitude on me. Let me know if you figure out a way around that issue.

I never really "set" the throws. I just get the most I can and make sure the surfaces move freely, then set D/R and expo to tame it down.
Old Apr 20, 2011, 10:27 PM
SoCal SlowFlyer
Joined Nov 2009
189 Posts
I guess I should start using D/R! But before I do, I think I'll try increasing the throws and a bit more expo.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 21, 2011, 09:55 AM
colorado
Joined Nov 2003
459 Posts
I taught myself to fly. So when I 1st set up I used an old Hitec 3 ch radio. Using full throws on all the linkages And now even though I have a Digital radio I still fly like this. It keeps people from wanting to fly your plane It feels unnatural now not to have full throws.
daydreamer is offline Find More Posts by daydreamer
Old Apr 21, 2011, 11:35 AM
IFO's are planes too
Petersburg, Va.
Joined Dec 2008
432 Posts
My radio setup

I fly with the elevator (forward and back stick) on full rate with 60% negative expo. The Lt & Rt stick get put on a DR switch at 50% throws with 60% - expo.
So to do fast rolls I just flip the DR switch and I have full throws Lt or Rt sticks.
After the rolls I flip back to low rates and off we go doing low and fast flybys.
There is something about those flybys that just look so cool with this wing.
Seams everybody flys with different setups on their radios so go with what works best for you.

StevoRc - if your over steering (RT & Lt sticks) your wing then reduced rates on a DR switch will help. You can always flip the DR SW and your back to where you started from. That's one way to ease yourself into it.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 12:29 PM
Flying low is expensive.
United States, CO, Boulder
Joined Jul 2008
2,398 Posts
Wow, I think that I had my first real crash in over a year. It was with my blucore wing becasue it was the only thing I'd fly with the 25-30 mph winds. Yes, It was really windy

It was right after my running practice so I was tired and my mind was elsewhere. I was cold because I forgot a long sleeve shirt and my mind was elsewhere. So basically, I shouldnt have been flying. I guess I had a lapse and wasn't really thinking about flying and I managed to dork it into the ground. The motor ripped lose and the battery was ejected but OK. The airframe looks like nothing happened to it. I love double layers of tape I just need to glue the motor back on and reinforce that area.
pdiddyg40 is offline Find More Posts by pdiddyg40
Old Apr 21, 2011, 05:41 PM
SoCal SlowFlyer
Joined Nov 2009
189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atone1 View Post
if your over steering (RT & Lt sticks) your wing then reduced rates on a DR switch will help. You can always flip the DR SW and your back to where you started from. That's one way to ease yourself into it.
Actually I think I was understeering; that's why I think I couldn't pull up fast enough from a dive. So I'll increase the throws and maybe add D/R if it's too unstable for my newbie thumbs.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 23, 2011, 11:37 AM
colorado
Joined Nov 2003
459 Posts
scored yesterday! Got a Art hobby Felco glider for 40$ came with a airtronics radio, charger, batterys, and a high start. All in great condition. And he trew in a zagi 400 that was set up for slope combat!!!!! It has metal gear servos in it wow! I just need to re build this not hard just a little tlc now to see if if I want to keep it slope or put a motor on it.
Old Apr 23, 2011, 10:43 PM
Air Crash Expert
Louisiana
Joined Oct 2005
1,212 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daydreamer View Post
scored yesterday! Got a Art hobby Felco glider for 40$ came with a airtronics radio, charger, batterys, and a high start. All in great condition. And he trew in a zagi 400 that was set up for slope combat!!!!! It has metal gear servos in it wow! I just need to re build this not hard just a little tlc now to see if if I want to keep it slope or put a motor on it.
Nice score ! Slap a motor on that thing !
Old Apr 24, 2011, 12:03 AM
colorado
Joined Nov 2003
459 Posts
I was thinking the same thing.
Old Apr 24, 2011, 12:50 AM
tree scavenger
USA, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Sep 2006
585 Posts
hey guys
i recently initiated an almost identical build, then found this thread
(tho i must've seen it before maybe?) i'm up to bout pg. 20-something, was trying not to skip ahead, but,, theres a lotta good stuff here, kinda wish i could've incorporated more of it now, as mine wasnt exactly taped-together in 2 hours lol
...gettin pretty close here,
...just wanted to peep-in-n-say hey,
ps- srry bout the recent ground-adventures some have had,, maybe i should'nt rush the maiden eh ?
silentsurfer is offline Find More Posts by silentsurfer
Old Apr 24, 2011, 06:46 AM
Flying low is expensive.
United States, CO, Boulder
Joined Jul 2008
2,398 Posts
I deserved mine, so its okay please, hurry all you want! We want to see your pictures, and a video of your maiden! Your wing looks great so far, keep up the good work. What's your drive train on that thing?
pdiddyg40 is offline Find More Posts by pdiddyg40