HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 26, 2006, 05:45 PM
Arvada, CO
Joined Aug 2004
368 Posts
Build Log
Bluecor Wing Build Thread

Alllrighty then.

Well, I decided that I really needed to post this build. I have tried a lot of stuff in the past couple of years and Iíve settled on a very few designs that are all around great, Iím kind of performance-picky. The one that gets the most flight time for me is one that is not only fun and aerobatic, but it can fly a long time on a charge, in the wind, and take a beating too. Did I mention cheap?

So here it is. This flying wing is one of the best Iíve ever had for all around conditions. And Iíve had a lot. Ezipper, Eraider, Sloflyís, PCW, Unicorn, Zagnuts, Superfly, my own designs, etcÖ.

Disclaimer! this was a general design that someone else had posted some time ago. It was originally made for a speed 400, but I stumbled across the perfect build/set up for this one. Since this has been my hanger staple for so long I just had to post the build. But first, Iím going to show a video of how it actually flies so you can decide for yourself. I guarantee that if you build this one, you will have an absolute ball and there will be no disappointment. Stick with the gear I recommend, even though it is pretty forgiving.

So for those interested, hereís the stats and setupÖ

What: bluecor flying wing
Wingspan: 31Ē
Weight: 10-11 oz.
Motor: 15 turn Cd motor, I use a Lensrc 20mm, but really any CDrom 15 turn motor will work with this setup
Prop: 5x5 zagi (6x4 works too)
ESC: CC10
Battery: TP 1320 3 cell
Servo: 2x HS55
Power: Pulls about 5.5 Ė 6.5 amps

Speed: Zippy
CG: Start at 7Ē or less from the nose, and play around, itís not super sensitive, but it does make a difference if you donít pay attention. It will fly well even if very nose heavy. Donít be too afraid to add a half oz of nose weight, I did to get to 7.25" and found it to be fantastic. (or move the motor farther towards the nose by cutting further.)
Cost: Come on itís bluecor with a CD motor, make three, youíll want three anway
Wind: will fly in 20+mph wind easy, and itís a BIG kick too, the thing will rocket straight up with a strong gust. Wind is very fun. No wind, is very fun.

Flight times: Iím getting well over 20 minutes and I get tired and go home, the last two times I didnít even run down the battery all the way

Durability: Completely bashable, This thing has taken many beatings. Iíve destroyed more than one pack by doing inverted pile drivers and still kept the airframe. I hit a pole today which stopped it nicely, no problem vertical landing. My buddy and I want to do some combat with them. They may not stay looking nice with abuse, but they still perform great. Besides, itís easy to tape.

Time to Build: 2 or so hours total for a first timer, about an hour+ for #2.

Difficulty: Easy as can be, youíll see how crooked I build mine, all the gaps, etc.

Field area: Med Sized park, I fly in a small park and stay on top of it.

Glide: good enough that I want to build a sloper out of it, thatís next though.
scottflight is offline Find More Posts by scottflight
Last edited by scottflight; Mar 26, 2006 at 10:25 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 26, 2006, 05:46 PM
Arvada, CO
Joined Aug 2004
368 Posts
Video

Ok, here's the video, let's see if I can get it to load...it's quicktime sorry, that's all I got on the camera.

Try the videos here...

http://www.putfile.com/scottflight

Also, they are kind of big files... 23mb and 13mb....for those who are interested.
Last edited by scottflight; Mar 28, 2006 at 07:19 AM.
Old Mar 26, 2006, 07:13 PM
Arlington,Texas
Joined Jan 2005
2,239 Posts
Post it on www.putfile.com
bass3587 is offline Find More Posts by bass3587
Old Mar 26, 2006, 09:35 PM
Arvada, CO
Joined Aug 2004
368 Posts
Next Step

Next make an elevon template and cut out two elevons. I make my elevons form blucor and taper from about 2.5Ē wide at the wingtip to 1.5Ē wide near where you cut off for prop clearance. Trim the bottom side edge that mates with the trailing edge of the wing to 45 degrees.

Now cut out the spar spacers. Just make a strip of blucor that goes from a height of 3/8Ē to ľĒ and is as long as the panel.
Last edited by scottflight; Mar 26, 2006 at 09:46 PM.
Old Mar 26, 2006, 09:44 PM
Arvada, CO
Joined Aug 2004
368 Posts
Great now youíve got all the major frame components set up. Make the wing cores next. First trim the leading edge of all 4 panels at a 45 degree angle. Then trim off the trailing edge at a shallow angle. I use a long utility knife as shown.

I use packing tape for just about everything in the build. Now take a strip of packing tape and place it along the leading edge of the one panel. Put the other panel next to it, leading edge to leading edge and press down.
Old Mar 26, 2006, 09:51 PM
Arvada, CO
Joined Aug 2004
368 Posts
Fold the wing over so that you pre-crush the leading edge.

Next hot glue in the spar strip. Glue it about 25-33% from the leading edge all the way down. Close is good enough, really. I think I did 25% in my last one.
Old Mar 26, 2006, 09:56 PM
Arvada, CO
Joined Aug 2004
368 Posts
Now put a strip of tape along the trailing edge and get ready to hot glue. Put some glue along the spar strip and fold over immediately and tape the trailing edge up. Youíll find that the glue will not attach to the upper wing panel for the whole length. Thatís ok. Not so close is good enough. It will bulge some near where the center will be. Cool, now do the other panel.
Old Mar 26, 2006, 10:00 PM
Arvada, CO
Joined Aug 2004
368 Posts
Then you need to tape the panels together. One strip down the middle on both the top and bottom. You can add some tape to the nose if you want. It is best to wait on adding nose tape until after you have painted as the paint will pull off the tape pretty easy.

Trim off the cores where they meet if needed to get them to come together straight.

Check the wing for warp or any crookedness. Try to fix it if you need to.
Last edited by scottflight; Mar 26, 2006 at 10:31 PM.
Old Mar 26, 2006, 10:08 PM
Arvada, CO
Joined Aug 2004
368 Posts
Tape on the elevons. I like to use one long strip and two short ones underneath
Old Mar 26, 2006, 10:11 PM
Arvada, CO
Joined Aug 2004
368 Posts
Next I glue and tape a small scrap piece of blucor on the bottom of the wing to prevent the motor from scooping up dirt on the landings...when I choose to land on the bottom side that is.
Old Mar 26, 2006, 10:16 PM
Arvada, CO
Joined Aug 2004
368 Posts
Next make the cutout for the motor and prop clearance, I like to tape up again after I cut out a big section. I just cut one layer of the blucor for motor mounting. I use a slofly tube mount and tape and hot glue it to the blucor. Works great and Iím sure it saves the motor at times.
Old Mar 26, 2006, 10:19 PM
Arvada, CO
Joined Aug 2004
368 Posts
Next I cut out the servos. I measure about 6Ē down from the nose and 4 inches from the center. Or put them wherever you want. Doesnít really matter that much.
Old Mar 26, 2006, 10:21 PM
Arvada, CO
Joined Aug 2004
368 Posts
For the control horns, my friend Jared has the best solution. Make a couple of ply horns, make a slit in the elevon and epoxy them in. Works great and really strong. Use an exacto knife to form t he holes for the music wire.

Next I like to paint the top side. The bottom I stripe with black polytape