HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 25, 2006, 02:34 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2004
2,020 Posts
Discussion
Wheres the "OUTRAGE" about this...

Ive heard a new law has been passed in a section of California bannning smoking outside. I aslo have a friend in Scottland that told me this type law could be passed over there real soon { in certain areas outside}...so whats the verdict on this one from you guys? By the way im a non-smoker and think smoking is a stinky/disgusting/ unhealthy habit ..but im not sure if this new law is a violation of a smokers/peoples rights..and one has to ask whats the next step if this sort of law becomes popular?
rumme is offline Find More Posts by rumme
Old Mar 25, 2006, 02:39 PM
Go get them Meg!
Cabin 21...
Joined Jan 2001
2,118 Posts
I would think that any such law can only ban smoking outside in public areas. I seriously doubt anyone is going to be busted for smoking on their own property, unless they are in a bar or restaurant that they own.
lrsudog is offline Find More Posts by lrsudog
Old Mar 25, 2006, 02:48 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2004
2,020 Posts
well thats what I meant..public outside places..sorry for not being precise on that one..but anyways,...one must admit..its quite a bold step on the part of our goverment and many will think its edging close to infringing upon ones rights once again ..looks like the tobacco industry better step up to the plate and contribute some big big $$ to the 2008 elections/campaigns..that may stop these new laws being passed.. for a while at least .
Old Mar 25, 2006, 03:13 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,499 Posts
I was just reading up on John Smith and Pocohontas.
King James I back then was seriously opposed to tobacco for anything!
As he said, " a custome Loathsome to the eye, hatefull to the Nose, harmfull to the braine, dangerous to the Lungs".. And this without the long history of the ailments smoking was to bring!
My dad, a smoker, told me the same thing.. and I and my brother never did take up the "Loathsome" habit.
The city of Calabasas here in La-La land has passed that "no smoking outside either" ordinance. Its future will be interesting to observe.
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
Old Mar 25, 2006, 03:53 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2004
2,020 Posts
yes indeed..and just how far will the local police/authoirties l go to enforce the law..things like smoking in your own front yard seems to be fine for now..but what if you lite 1 up and started to walk down the sidewalk or across the street to a freinds neighbors house? Will the police be able to ticket a person thats "enroute" on foot to another place in there area? Sure seems to be a controversial decision to try a new law like this
Old Mar 25, 2006, 03:59 PM
Helena, MT
Joined Feb 2003
2,919 Posts
In VA and TX you can be arrested for public intoxication INSIDE a bar. Police are going into drinking establishments and arresting folks.
LTChip is offline Find More Posts by LTChip
Old Mar 25, 2006, 05:11 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2004
2,020 Posts
Yeah ,I saw that too...
Old Mar 25, 2006, 05:28 PM
Who, ME?
Euclid Ohio
Joined May 2005
319 Posts
This is the camel's nose under the tent. There are now companies that will FIRE you if you smoke and don't quit. Workers in your house can sue you (in theory) for providing an unsafe workplace if you smoke there.

Yeah, I smoke. Yeah, I'm gonna quit. This stuff strikes me overly mean-spirited and punitive, however. Yet another Baby Boomer "I don't like it so you can't do it" thing, IMO. What will be next?
dll932 is online now Find More Posts by dll932
Old Mar 25, 2006, 05:32 PM
Suspended Account
Fayetteville, NC
Joined Dec 2002
2,239 Posts
The DoD pays for health care for service members. Smoking SHOULD be banned for all members of the Armed Forces.
sarge is offline Find More Posts by sarge
Old Mar 25, 2006, 05:58 PM
California
Joined Feb 2005
1,519 Posts
Better give me a warning.I am smoking on a public forum.
freddy warbird is offline Find More Posts by freddy warbird
Old Mar 25, 2006, 06:01 PM
Who, ME?
Euclid Ohio
Joined May 2005
319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarge
The DoD pays for health care for service members. Smoking SHOULD be banned for all members of the Armed Forces.
Well, one makes LOTS of choices to give up certain things when in the military. Hey, do they still say "smoke 'em if you've got 'em?"
Old Mar 25, 2006, 06:01 PM
Helena, MT
Joined Feb 2003
2,919 Posts
Quote:
Should getting in the way of bullets be banned too? They tend to cause more healthcare costs than smokes.
LTChip is offline Find More Posts by LTChip
Old Mar 25, 2006, 06:05 PM
Who, ME?
Euclid Ohio
Joined May 2005
319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTChip
Should getting in the way of bullets be banned too? They tend to cause more healthcare costs than smokes.
Old Mar 25, 2006, 07:16 PM
Colorado Front Range, USA, EARTH, Sol system, Milkyway Galaxy
Joined Nov 2001
2,356 Posts
No outrage here.

My state has voted for a public area smoking ban
that includes parks during events, sporting events
in stadiums and most resturaunts and bars.

I love it.
The Other Dave is offline Find More Posts by The Other Dave
Old Mar 25, 2006, 07:41 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2004
2,020 Posts
I think the irony of this new law is that decades ago smoking was promoted as the "in" thing to do and it was even allowed to be done in places like hospitals. I have a close freind thats in his late 70s that told me his family doctor actually advised him to start smoking {back in the 1950s I believe} as a way to deal with stress/lifes pressures. I wonder how much money the tobbacco industry would be willing to shell out for things like presidential campaigns to try and put a damper on these types of new laws.