SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio

Horizon Hobby's Parkzone Typhoon Modifications Article

Rick Antonio upgrades his Typhoon's servos, tailgear and main wheels, and then shows you how you can add your own look to a replacement Typhoon fuse, plus just how tough and durable this great 3D airplane can be!

Splash

INTRODUCTION

The Modified Typhoon
Servos: HS 81
Tailwheel Support: Closed Loop
Tailwheel: 1"
Main Wheels: 2.5"

So you've owned a few planes and you think you're ready to take a crack at 3D flying, but you don't want to go through the hassles of spending countless hours building, don't want a 'flat plate foamie', nor do you want to break the bank? If that's the case, then the Typhoon 3D is the plane for you!!

The great folks at ParkZone put together a fine 3D Aerobat with EVERYTHING needed right out of the box for about $200 bucks!! Not only did it come Ready To Fly (with minor assembly of course), but it also came very well equipped with a powerful Brushless motor, a LiPo ready ESC and a reusable 72MHz Radio system. Here at RCGroups.com we've already provided an indepth review of the stock Typhoon RTF.

I picked up my Typhoon in early October and since then, I've had countless successful flights as well as a few frightful and disastrous ones. What can I say, I'm not exactly the greatest pilot! During that time, I've done some modifications and addressed a few issues, I thought I would share here.

More Rugged Servos

Typhoon owners have reported that the stock PZ Elevator and Rudder servos are somewhat weak and prone to stripping gears, particularly when doing really aggressive 3D. Both of mine gave up while on the ground instead of during flight. As such, I suggest upgrading to higher quality servos or, atleast positioning the pushrods a notch lower on the servo horns to help reduce stress BEFORE taking flight.

Because of the shorter horns on the Hitec servos, they provide slightly less throws than the stock servos; however, this is hardly noticeable....

On a side note, the longer stock PZ servo horns will NOT fit Hitec servos....

Replacing the Tail Wheel Support...and the Wheels

The Ground Jumped Out In Front of Me....

And here is the end result:

Downloads

Discussion

Old Mar 25, 2006, 11:15 AM
Joined Sep 2004
52 Posts
I really enjoyed the review, but the video sold the plane. The crash and recovery sequence was really funny.
Salt is offline Find More Posts by Salt
Old Mar 25, 2006, 05:28 PM
I want to fly everything!
Hillsboro, OR, USA
Joined Mar 2004
954 Posts
I'm still laughing.

I love the hat cam idea. I can never get anyone to video for me. This is a great solution.
Lance Nordby is offline Find More Posts by Lance Nordby
Old Mar 25, 2006, 08:38 PM
ProBro Eric in Jax
United States, FL
Joined Mar 2006
207 Posts
LOL@ Your Hat-cam. Your one smart dude.
p0stal is offline Find More Posts by p0stal
Old Mar 25, 2006, 09:24 PM
USA, IL, Champaign
Joined Jul 2005
1,038 Posts
Love the review...great video...one correction

I loved the review and have to agree, owning the plane myself, that it is a brute. The video was funny and very well put together, great job! I do have one correction about the tail wheel. The bracket has been offered for some time now by itself. The problem is that Horizon has not put the part in the spare parts list for the Typhoon. I found it by looking at all of the Parkzone parts. The link is here for anyone needing to order these. Also many are having success with the MPI 3" wheels located here .
Phoenex is offline Find More Posts by Phoenex
Old Mar 26, 2006, 04:51 AM
London,England UK.
Joined Jul 2004
164 Posts
rick;loved the vid -any chance you could tell me how you set up your helmet cam as i've been struggling with my own setup-how do you work if the image is in the viewfinder,i mostly end up with 1min of actual aircraft footage-the rest is mostly sky!!!!!!!!
lipolenny is offline Find More Posts by lipolenny
Old Mar 29, 2006, 10:05 AM
Ireland
Joined Apr 2001
4,027 Posts
tail wheel

the shown tail wheel support is made by carl goldberg for those who like to know.
cmulder is offline Find More Posts by cmulder
Old Apr 07, 2006, 11:33 AM
Queens, NY and sometimes Orlando, FL
Joined Sep 2003
329 Posts
Glad you folks enjoyed the review

Sorry I took so long to chime in....

I wasn't even aware it went public until someone PM'd me about it lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenex
I do have one correction about the tail wheel. The bracket has been offered for some time now by itself. The problem is that Horizon has not put the part in the spare parts list for the Typhoon. I found it by looking at all of the Parkzone parts. The link is here for anyone needing to order these. Also many are having success with the MPI 3" wheels located here .

Thanx for the info

I'm guessing this must be a new addition to the parts list since Horizon had told me it was not available separately back when I inquired about it a few months ago

On a side note, I think it would be very difficult to remove the original mount without tearing the tail end of the styro cause it's glued in there pretty good

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipolenny
rick;loved the vid -any chance you could tell me how you set up your helmet cam as i've been struggling with my own setup-how do you work if the image is in the viewfinder,i mostly end up with 1min of actual aircraft footage-the rest is mostly sky!!!!!!!!

Well, I pretty much had to position the camera on the hardhat so that it was level with the view from my own eyes....

And while up in the air, I follow the plane with my head rather than just my eyes so it's always in view....

It's sumthin I still have to work on, especially the actual flying distance since I'm using an ultrawide lens which makes the plane look like an angry bee buzzing around in the distance lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmulder
the shown tail wheel support is made by carl goldberg for those who like to know.

Thanx for the info

I couldn't remember the brand for the life of me lol

Anyhoo, I'd like to thank AnnMarie for helping with the review and making it happen

Rick
98 SNAKE EATER is offline Find More Posts by 98 SNAKE EATER
Old Apr 07, 2006, 12:43 PM
Queens, NY and sometimes Orlando, FL
Joined Sep 2003
329 Posts
Just relized the video was shortened for the review....

Here's the full version (kinda boring lol)

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...+EATER&pl=true

Rick
98 SNAKE EATER is offline Find More Posts by 98 SNAKE EATER