Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 24, 2006, 04:59 PM
fly more...build less
Calgary AB
Joined Mar 2005
153 Posts
Discussion
Piper Cub with flaps

I hope I am not breaking any double posting rules but my last thread asked a question that can only be answered with "that depends..."

I have a piper cub with separate servos operating the ailerons. I am using an eclipse 7 radio with the flapperon function. when I activate the flaps I have heard that the elevator needs to be adjusted with it. Will I need to use up or down elevator when I use the flaps?

Thanks
flossandfly is offline Find More Posts by flossandfly
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 24, 2006, 06:41 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,341 Posts
"That depends".... on which way the airplane goes when you put the flaps down.
Try it and find out.
That's the only practical way.
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 24, 2006, 08:34 PM
Flying RC since 1974
Del Norte, Colorado
Joined Dec 2002
736 Posts
The world wants to know, so when you try it, do tell. Be sure you are up high when you pull the flap lever.

Just out of curiousity, does the Eclipse have a flap switch or a proportional lever?
ctdahle is offline Find More Posts by ctdahle
Old Mar 24, 2006, 11:17 PM
S.A.D. member
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Dec 2004
9,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctdahle
Just out of curiousity, does the Eclipse have a flap switch or a proportional lever?
You can do both - depends on how you set it up.

Flossandfly, in general when flaperons are deployed the plane pitches nose up (increased lift), so elevator down correction is required. But still you will have to experiment at safe altitude. In some cases in general doesn't work or works in reverse.

If your Cub has barndoor ailerons (only at the wingtips) then you might lose aileron control when flaperons are deployed and tip stall the plane. Strip ailerons are less prone to stalling the plane when deployed as flaperons but still can induce a tip stall. The best way to do it is dedicated flaps at the root of the wing (close to the fuselage) - these actually work and do not tip stall the plane.

Ivan
ivanc is offline Find More Posts by ivanc
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 25, 2006, 10:52 AM
Flying RC since 1974
Del Norte, Colorado
Joined Dec 2002
736 Posts
Ivan raises an really important point, if your cub has scale like "barn door" ailerons, flaperons could be a real disaster for exactly the reasons he cites.
ctdahle is offline Find More Posts by ctdahle
Old Mar 27, 2006, 09:04 AM
fly more...build less
Calgary AB
Joined Mar 2005
153 Posts
The eclipse has a landing switch to deploy the flaps or else a knob for proportional control. The knob is hard to get back to exactly neutral so I am not going to use it.

I flew the cub on the weekend and when at '3 mistakes' high I tried out my flapperons. I used the landing function on the eclipse 7 to activate the flaps and tried a slight amount of down elevator with it. It found that I needed up elevator but that could be because I had some down put into it.

The ailerons are near the end of the wings and if that is going to cause me trouble by trying to use them as flaps I may just fool around with them at a high altitude. Next I will try a bit of up elevator with the flaps. One of the reasons I want to try this is because I have never owned a computer radio before. The cub lands just fine without flaps.

Thanks for the help guys, I will post what I find out next flight (hopefully next weekend)
flossandfly is offline Find More Posts by flossandfly