SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 24, 2006, 02:48 PM
AMA #851612
Alameda, CA
Joined Dec 2005
1,617 Posts
Cool
CommonSenseRC RULES!!

Shipping was fast, packs look pro! Just waiting to test them out. This will be my very first time with Lipo...gonna break my Lipo cherry this Sunday!!

Got some questions. I will be picking up a blinky balancer...is this balancer a direct fit with the CommonSenseRC lipo's? Will I need an adapter?

I guess I'll have to read up on the documentation on my Great Planes Electrifly 55amp brushed controller, but does anyone know if it has an auto-cutoff voltage that will save my batteries from being discharged too low?

I have a Triton charger and plan to be VERY careful with these batteries. I understand that you can use the blinky to charge...guess I'll just have to read up on the documentation.

Can't wait to try these out!!
BIGDANO is offline Find More Posts by BIGDANO
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 24, 2006, 06:51 PM
Permanently Banned
San Jose Ca / RSA flyer
Joined May 2003
8,030 Posts
then only slow charge them and verfiy their capacity
hall woo is offline Find More Posts by hall woo
Old Mar 27, 2006, 02:41 PM
AMA #851612
Alameda, CA
Joined Dec 2005
1,617 Posts
Got my Blinky Balancer from a LHS and got to charging all these guys. Only one pack out of the six had a cell that was below 3.2v. I did what the Blinky instructions recommended and charged it at .2 amps for about 30 minutes, then re-tested with the blinky. All 3 cells reported in so I charged normally at 2amps.

Put theses packs in my Sportster this past weekend, running them in parallel and they did just GREAT! I only put about 5 to 7 minutes on them as I'm new to Lipo and didn't want to push them. They came outta the plane barely warm, but I can't say the same for my brushed motor! It's under a cowl so I couldn't check the can heat...of course the hood was pretty hot, but that's to be expected.

So far I give these cells an A. will report more after I've used them a little harder.

Some pics:

Old Mar 27, 2006, 04:16 PM
Who put that TREE there!!
Columbia, MO
Joined Dec 2005
622 Posts
You will be happy with CSRC lipo's if you use them the way they are rated. They perform very well in everything I've flown them in so far and Mike's customer service has been great.
JawaSnack is offline Find More Posts by JawaSnack
Old Mar 27, 2006, 07:57 PM
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined Oct 2004
5,965 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGDANO
Got my Blinky Balancer from a LHS and got to charging all these guys. Only one pack out of the six had a cell that was below 3.2v.
Brand new with a cell less than 3.2 volts? Doesn't sound that great to me. I expect shipping cells to be 3.8 ~ 3.9, all equal.

Bill
ebill3 is offline Find More Posts by ebill3
Old Mar 27, 2006, 08:42 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,834 Posts
If I every get one with cell(s) below 3.7

Cells should be charged in parallel before being assembled into packs.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Mar 27, 2006, 09:40 PM
AMA #851612
Alameda, CA
Joined Dec 2005
1,617 Posts
Yeah, I was a bit surprised...seemed to me they had been on the shelf for a while. I could tell because they use scotch tape to hold down the wire leads and the adhesive from the scotch tape was left behind on the pack when I pulled it, like it does when it's a bit old.

Had the cell not been revivable, I'd be a bit more upset. As it stands, I'm good.

Again, I'll report back after I put these packs through some more paces.
Old Mar 27, 2006, 11:06 PM
United States, KS, Newton
Joined Aug 2005
311 Posts
Anyone using the 2500mha Commonsense Transmitter packs? I've got one coming. Sounded a little dangerous to have that much lipo power in the radio but deceided to give it a try. Hopefully I won't have a fireball on my hands.
Charging with the wall wart...... will that work through the side of my Optic 6 or is it best to remove the battery from the transmitter? Removing it will erase all the old settings though.
ufoman is online now Find More Posts by ufoman
Old Mar 27, 2006, 11:27 PM
Joined Oct 2004
5,965 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufoman
Anyone using the 2500mha Commonsense Transmitter packs? I've got one coming. Sounded a little dangerous to have that much lipo power in the radio but deceided to give it a try. Hopefully I won't have a fireball on my hands.
Charging with the wall wart...... will that work through the side of my Optic 6 or is it best to remove the battery from the transmitter? Removing it will erase all the old settings though.
Are you talking about the CommonSense LiPo for the TX?

DO NOT charge it with the wall wart. You must use a charger designed for LiPos, and better to remove it for charging. See the stickys at the top of this forum.

Bill
Old Mar 27, 2006, 11:34 PM
United States, KS, Newton
Joined Aug 2005
311 Posts
Well if you go to the Commense RC site they sells a wall wart for charging this TX Lipo...but they don't mention if you need to remove the battery. Looks like a low current wart and the fire hazard would probably be low. But still I know Lipos are better charged in a fire safe or box to be safe.

If I have to remove the battery each time to charge and lose settings it kind of defeats the advantages of having a long run battery.
ufoman is online now Find More Posts by ufoman
Old Mar 27, 2006, 11:40 PM
phillyphly
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Sep 2005
1,223 Posts
I could not give an "A" to a pack with a low voltage cell. Even if it balances/ comes back it's either put together wrong or it's a weak cell that'll give in the long run. I've never used common sense RC but if they've got good customer service they might replace it...
e-guru is offline Find More Posts by e-guru
Old Mar 27, 2006, 11:52 PM
Joined Oct 2004
5,965 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufoman
Well if you go to the Commense RC site they sells a wall wart for charging this TX Lipo...but they don't mention if you need to remove the battery. Looks like a low current wart and the fire hazard would probably be low. But still I know Lipos are better charged in a fire safe or box to be safe.

If I have to remove the battery each time to charge and lose settings it kind of defeats the advantages of having a long run battery.
Sorry, my bad. When I saw 'wall wart' I immediatly thought of the regular TX wall wart. Still, I would not be comfortable charging a LiPo in the TX.

I don't know about Hitec - are you sure you loose settings with the battery removed?

Bill
Old Mar 28, 2006, 12:05 AM
Who put that TREE there!!
Columbia, MO
Joined Dec 2005
622 Posts
DO NOT USE THE WALL CHARGER!!!!!

I have one of the CSRC trasmitter lipo's and and so far it has been fantastic!! but I stoped by the lhs and purchased one of the bananna plug to JR radio plugs so that I could chrge the lipo in the tansmitter without taking it out, via the Triton charger ( sure, I could of made onE, but for $6.99 I'll support the LHS...)
JawaSnack is offline Find More Posts by JawaSnack
Old Mar 28, 2006, 12:19 AM
Always right
Chicago
Joined Feb 2003
5,924 Posts
These "budget" packs are the best bang for the bug at the moment, I am thankful for Mike for making it happen.

Having said that - its strange and not normal for the new pack to have a cell thats below its nominal voltage. Watch that pack closely, balance with each charge, if it acts normal then all is good.
Hovertime is offline Find More Posts by Hovertime
Old Mar 28, 2006, 12:26 AM
I Cut Air Into Submission
United States, TX, Irving
Joined Jul 2005
172 Posts
my transmitter lipo from csrc lasted me 10 hrs operating time from a full charge... great stuff ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovertime
These "budget" packs are the best bang for the bug at the moment, I am thankful for Mike for making it happen.

Having said that - its strange and not normal for the new pack to have a cell thats below its nominal voltage. Watch that pack closely, balance with each charge, if it acts normal then all is good.
xrbeast is offline Find More Posts by xrbeast