SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 20, 2011, 01:54 PM
BLANIK213
United States, NY, Phoenicia
Joined Feb 2008
665 Posts
Your vents look great just use a small triangular jewelers file to clean up the openings.Do yourself a favor and glass it with epoxy it will make it resistant to all the little dings and minor hanger rash stuff the bare foam is really soft.
blanik213 is offline Find More Posts by blanik213
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 22, 2011, 11:41 AM
Rochester, NY
United States, NY, Monroe
Joined May 2004
1,883 Posts
Heli3D - be sure you have exit hole 3X the size of intake hole. You'll build up pressure in the fuse and pop the canopy if you have more intake than outflow. Nice Jet, and the speakers in the cooler are very cool. Did you make or buy and if buy where ? I need to be cranking, "They see me rollin', they be hatin'".

OK - not a photo of me, YET at least.

Vinnie
JustGoFly is offline Find More Posts by JustGoFly
Old Jul 22, 2011, 12:00 PM
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2003
49 Posts
thanks for the advice, I was going to add two exit holes on bottom just haven't had time. The cooler I built or am in the process of building. Should be finished with it this weekend. It will rock when done. I'll post pic when complete, a little off topic but will keep thread alive :-)
heli3d is offline Find More Posts by heli3d
Old Jul 23, 2011, 12:32 AM
BLANIK213
Joined Feb 2008
665 Posts
Hey heli3d here's two possible choices for exit vents a pair on either side of the fuse and one more aft of the canopy on top of the fuse.
Last edited by blanik213; Jul 30, 2011 at 12:49 AM.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 10:33 AM
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2003
49 Posts
finally almost finished my twinjet, fixing to mount all the electronics. here are the motors I had laying around and was going to use. Please give me suggestions on props for these. I'm not sure what kind of speed I can get out these motors. ARC-28-47-2 should I get different motors or stick with these?
Old Sep 26, 2011, 11:25 AM
just Some Useless Geek
Chicagoland
Joined Oct 2008
2,543 Posts
The plane looks like it'll be just fine. The cooler, on the other hand...well, I'd be completely shocked if a spectral analysis of its output didn't have several nasty humps in it at the harmonics of the various resonances of the box.

To get an idea of those resonances, just thump the closed, empty cooler hard. You'll hear all kinds of echoing and nastiness. That's what the final sound will contain unless there is adequate stiffening of the cooler walls and damping of the sympathetic vibrations in the plastic.

Audio engineers pull their hair out trying to defeat these kinds of effects in speaker enclosures made for the purpose, and formed of material with mere percentages of the flex and self-resonance of the hollow plastic material from which the cooler is molded. I do not envy heli3d in his/her attempt to create a multi-purpose cooler/speaker enclosure that doesn't sound like a shoe box.
A Useless Geek is offline Find More Posts by A Useless Geek
Old Sep 26, 2011, 02:22 PM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,970 Posts
So I picked up a Twinjet White Eagle and a set of the nice L-motor mounts (from Vinnie at the NEAT Fair)...and the mounts look great but I think I want to go with a light weight set up...mostly because I'm simultaneously building a 1000+W Funjet Ultra that should satisfy the speed cravings.

So I am going to try a pair of 3000kv Blue Wonders with 4.1x4.0 props on 3s- these make almost 250W each and tons of RPM so it should sound cool even if the thrust isn't huge.

Has anyone tried mixing the throttles with the rudder channel? This sounds like it could be extremely cool.

Maybe I'll switch to some Just Go Fly motors down the road...
MRGTX is offline Find More Posts by MRGTX
Old Sep 26, 2011, 11:22 PM
just Some Useless Geek
Chicagoland
Joined Oct 2008
2,543 Posts
You should use the Turnigy version of those motors, MRGTX. Thinner stacks on the stators, tighter magnet spacing, better winds, better bearings, yada yada.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 09:10 AM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,970 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Useless Geek View Post
You should use the Turnigy version of those motors, MRGTX. Thinner stacks on the stators, tighter magnet spacing, better winds, better bearings, yada yada.
Cool! Thanks. I didn't know they offered a 3000kv Turnigy 24g.
The Turnigy version didn't exist when my club bought a small pile of 3000kv Blue Wonders to use in a scratch built foamy speed competition that never shaped up.

I have the 1500kv version of that motor on my Midwest Foam Planes Edge 540...and you're right, it is very hight quality for the price.

So yeah, I may order up a couple if one of mine burns out. FWIW, I have been running the a 3000kv (all silver) Blue Wonder on my Mini Swift (EPP Wing) for a long time and it has held up very well to much abuse on 3s..
Old Sep 28, 2011, 12:35 PM
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2003
49 Posts
that's funny... I guess I need to start a thread on my cooler... guess you don't know how I built it :-) I built a sealed box inside there is nothing going on that your talking about. Here I made this video just for you....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3z5hQXEKoEg

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Useless Geek View Post
The plane looks like it'll be just fine. The cooler, on the other hand...well, I'd be completely shocked if a spectral analysis of its output didn't have several nasty humps in it at the harmonics of the various resonances of the box.

To get an idea of those resonances, just thump the closed, empty cooler hard. You'll hear all kinds of echoing and nastiness. That's what the final sound will contain unless there is adequate stiffening of the cooler walls and damping of the sympathetic vibrations in the plastic.

Audio engineers pull their hair out trying to defeat these kinds of effects in speaker enclosures made for the purpose, and formed of material with mere percentages of the flex and self-resonance of the hollow plastic material from which the cooler is molded. I do not envy heli3d in his/her attempt to create a multi-purpose cooler/speaker enclosure that doesn't sound like a shoe box.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 02:06 PM
just Some Useless Geek
Chicagoland
Joined Oct 2008
2,543 Posts
Yeeeah. Okay. Uhh...I'm sure it sounds just fine to you. I particularly like the flashing blue lights, just like K-Mart.

Can we get back to discussing R/C airplanes now?
Old Oct 05, 2011, 07:07 AM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,970 Posts
So my build is coming right along... I'm going for a light-weight setup on my first attempt with this great looking plane.

The two 3000kv Blue Wonders will make much more power (and RPM/pitch speed) than the stock upgraded speed400 motors... so it should be much better than stock.

If it proves to be boring, I'll order up some motors from JustGoFly.

Has anyone attempted to mix rudder with the throttle(s) on these planes?
Old Oct 05, 2011, 09:58 AM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,970 Posts
Guys-
Does anyone have interest in the stock "White Eagle" motors? They're apparently a hotter wind than the regular Permax400s...

I'd let them go for $15 plus shipping.
Old Oct 06, 2011, 11:40 AM
BLANIK213
Joined Feb 2008
665 Posts
MRGTX you would have a better go at having fun with that white eagle if you use a set of 5x4.5 . The 4.1x4.0 will scream but won't give you any authority in the thrust department a must with the twin jet because of it's size and draggy air frame plus 5x4.5 will have better flight characteristics(power on maneuverability)than with the smaller prop . The 5x4.5's on 3s should work fine with the blue wonder's as far as amp draw goes,you may be able to go 5x5 which is the stock prop size for a little more speed . This would still be considered a light fun TJ .
Old Oct 07, 2011, 10:13 PM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,970 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blanik213 View Post
MRGTX you would have a better go at having fun with that white eagle if you use a set of 5x4.5 . The 4.1x4.0 will scream but won't give you any authority in the thrust department a must with the twin jet because of it's size and draggy air frame plus 5x4.5 will have better flight characteristics(power on maneuverability)than with the smaller prop . The 5x4.5's on 3s should work fine with the blue wonder's as far as amp draw goes,you may be able to go 5x5 which is the stock prop size for a little more speed . This would still be considered a light fun TJ .
Thanks... You are probably right. I will pick up a set of 5x4.5 next time I'm at the LHS. Thanks for the tip! I went with the 4.1" props because. Had them on hand and this motor screams with that prop on my MSComposite Mini Swift.