HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 23, 2006, 01:24 PM
VTX
Joined Mar 2006
45 Posts
Discussion
Picture of servo-activated camera

I am just curious how you have setup your camera with servo triggering.
VTX is offline Find More Posts by VTX
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 23, 2006, 02:12 PM
Smile & wave
Lancing West Sussex
Joined Jun 2005
3,433 Posts
VYX,

I have looked out a few of my servo operated mounts.

Gray.
Gray is offline Find More Posts by Gray
Old Mar 23, 2006, 02:16 PM
Zach
Illinois
Joined Feb 2004
806 Posts
My camera mount is made form a plastic switch box and is suspended under my Slow Stick on a wooden frame made from a paint stick. The cameras shutter button is pressed down by the arm of a HS-55 servo mounted to the top of the box. There is a hole cut in the top of the box to expose the button. The servo arm was slowly sanded to the right shape using a dremel with a sanding drum. Itís somewhat trial and error to get the servo arm just the right shape. You canít tell it in the picture but I glued a piece of 1/32Ē ply to the back of the servo arm to make it thicker. A thicker servo arm gives me better contact with the shutter button and ensures that it wonít miss its intended target. The cameras servo is operated my aileron channel since the Slow Stick is a stick and rudder only plane. If you wonder what the sticker is on the back of the camera mount I used my scanner to get a picture of the back of the camera and glued the picture to the back of the mount so I would know where to cut the holes for access to the buttons and LCD plus it has the added advantage of serving as a label for the buttons.

Hope this helps
Zach
Tail Spin1 is offline Find More Posts by Tail Spin1
Old Mar 23, 2006, 02:33 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,370 Posts
"I used my scanner to get a picture of the back of the camera and glued the picture to the back of the mount so I would know where to cut the holes for access to the buttons and LCD plus it has the added advantage of serving as a label for the buttons."
Great idea!
It's easier than eyeballing and cutting..
Keeping those buttons on the back free from inflight pressures helps the camera actually work!
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 23, 2006, 03:59 PM
VTX
Joined Mar 2006
45 Posts
Is the camera itself cut/drilled/glued or otherwise damaged in the process of being mounted to the frame? I would hate to see that. Tripod mount is the only "natural" anchor point but I wonder if it provides enough support.
VTX is offline Find More Posts by VTX
Old Mar 23, 2006, 11:10 PM
Phoenix
Joined Mar 2003
859 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=120

Easily removable. No alteration to the camera.

I use a nylon 1/4-20 screw in the tripod mount.

Tom
TStokes is offline Find More Posts by TStokes
Old Mar 23, 2006, 11:12 PM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,083 Posts
in worst case, you can hot glue a servo on. it does not damage the camera that way. I also use 1/4-20 nylon screw and include them in my kits. works well.
askman is offline Find More Posts by askman
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 24, 2006, 07:29 AM
I'm Ginger & called Adam
Hereford, UK
Joined Oct 2002
2,901 Posts
I built a plane specifically for 'lookdown' AP for a chap who's an archeologist - we couldn't work out why the pictures didn't seem to be working as well as we thought (we'd modified another plane to have a crude 'lookdown' mount before and it worked fine).

You've probably already guessed - the foam mount was pressing against the 'T' zoom button as the plane moved around and so the photos were quickly all maximum zoom (almost utterly useless for AP when you're looking straight down )

Adam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky Paul
Great idea!
It's easier than eyeballing and cutting..
Keeping those buttons on the back free from inflight pressures helps the camera actually work!
Ginger Adam is offline Find More Posts by Ginger Adam
Old Mar 24, 2006, 02:41 PM
Flying Kiwi
Wellington, NZ
Joined Apr 2005
778 Posts
If you dont want to use the tripod thread find a little plastic box that fits.....a mount can be quickly and cunningly crafted with a knife and hot glue.
booma is online now Find More Posts by booma