SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 18, 2001, 05:25 PM
My cat up close
England
Joined Feb 2001
4,021 Posts
BAC Lightning,am designing twin EDF version,just a few questions!

After some some success with my small Lightning with a 400 with a pusher prop,I am going to push on with a design a little bigger with twin EDF propulsion.
The airframe is expected to be extremely light,with small amounts of carbon fibre and balsa at srategic stressed areas.
I want to use wemotec mini fans,or maybe the eco,depending on feedback ,maybe this project is a little ambitious,but I am determined to succeed.
The smaller pusher model was exact scale in outline(still is!) and flew so well,extremely stable,all moving tail,small sized scale ailerons-fantastic!
I now intend going the 'full 9 yards' and producing a model equipped with lightweight retracts that twist and turn.
I have gathered a lot of data,and hope to use scale inlet ducting,although I realise that cheat ducts may be neccessary.
Can anyone give me some idea of required wing area,model weight,cell types and how many, ESC,and,importantly,motors.I want to go brushless with this model,again,exact scale outlines.
Please let me know if you would like to see photos of my smaller model.
Matt.(Any other helpful advice greatly appreciated....)
bipeflyer is offline Find More Posts by bipeflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 18, 2001, 07:57 PM
Stefano Spalding Baron
Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil
Joined Dec 2000
150 Posts
What about 2 x KP-44 fitted with DMC-20BB motors ?

Or 2 x micro fans ...

It would be a beautiful small jet
cuzolio is offline Find More Posts by cuzolio
Old Jun 19, 2001, 11:58 AM
UK
Joined Mar 2000
1,197 Posts
Oh yea, thats on my to do list.

I suggest the folowing...

1) Choose the fan/motor combination

2) Choose the number of cells

3) Decide on a wing loading that you want.

4) Double the weight of the motors/fans/cells which will give you a rough estimate of the all up weight.

5) now scale up the aircraft to achive the desired wing loading that you want. you should aim for about 18-25 oz/square foot.

You might also want to try scaling the aircraft to fit the fans and cells first and then see what the expected wing loading will be.

I assume that the fans will be placed one ontop of the other (as are the full size engines) Watch out it will burn up the sky.

Also try and scale it to a 'usable' size i.e. 1:10 scale or 1:12 scale etc. This makes getting pilots and scale wheels easier.

Are you planning to use retracts.

One final note...If you have set the cells/motor/fan combination then you can predict the thrust for the fan on my site. I've compiled graphs for all WeMoTec fans you just need to know which fan and the input watts. Goto the FAN DATA section at www.awatson1.fsnet.co.uk

Wait until you see what I'm doing

Doc
Doc Watson is offline Find More Posts by Doc Watson
Old Jun 30, 2001, 01:30 AM
My cat up close
England
Joined Feb 2001
4,021 Posts
Hey thanks Doc,
I've seen what you're up to,wow!
Look forward to more news of the project,
many thanks for all of your assistance here,great!
Am at W&W this w/e to visit 'Fanfare' to releve my self of some hefty sums of money,am going to buy 4 WeMoTec mini's,motors controllers,etc etc.
Cheers,Matt.
bipeflyer is offline Find More Posts by bipeflyer
Old Jun 30, 2001, 06:02 PM
crazy builder
United States, CA, Santee
Joined May 2001
222 Posts
hey great sounding model. remember the original lightnings were fast flyers and had a dam high landing speed so dont be suprised if its a handfull to fly! good luck and let me know when thew kit/plan is available as i want one!!
flying_pig is offline Find More Posts by flying_pig