HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 23, 2006, 12:45 AM
Going Home
Mighty Midwest
Joined Apr 2004
760 Posts
Discussion
Need recommendations on the Cox Wings Micro P-47 Thunderbolt ARF

I ordered this plane about two weeks ago and Cox says that it's been shipped and is on its way.

For those that are familiar with it, are there any recommendation you have about how to get the most out of it..batteries, servo's, ect!
Starguard is offline Find More Posts by Starguard
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 23, 2006, 10:34 AM
Who put that tree there??
Austin, TX
Joined Jun 2003
100 Posts
Check here for some excellent ideas:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=438256

I have the P-40, and picked up several ideas from that thread. One thing that surprised me was how hard it is to find a battery that is a good match - I ended up with a TP 2s 730 pack, and had to gouge out some foam to get it to fit. However, it balances nicely with that pack.

Beyond that, look into a micro antenna, and a small receiver (Bergs fit nicely). I know some people are trying brushless, but it seems like the stock motor and prop are a really good match. I used a Castle Creations Pixie 7P - got it on sale at LightFlightRC .

Cutting a battery hatch and using magnets to hold it on is also an awesome idea - I used some magnets out of a GB motor, but there are probably smaller / cheaper magnets available.

Finally, I made ailerons, and used GWS pico servos - smaller than the HS-55's but larger than the Blue Arrows, and available just about everywhere.

Good luck!
bratcher is offline Find More Posts by bratcher
Old Mar 23, 2006, 11:57 AM
ooops
Dekalb,Illinois
Joined Oct 2003
1,452 Posts
Or do what I did with my P-51 and Spitfire. Use the Cox batteries and servos. Worked out great. That and a GWS esc and rx.
StCalvin is offline Find More Posts by StCalvin
Old Mar 23, 2006, 04:54 PM
Who put that tree there??
Austin, TX
Joined Jun 2003
100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StCalvin
Or do what I did with my P-51 and Spitfire. Use the Cox batteries and servos. Worked out great. That and a GWS esc and rx.
Good point - it's hard to pass up a Pixie 7p for $20 though
bratcher is offline Find More Posts by bratcher
Old Mar 23, 2006, 08:31 PM
ooops
Dekalb,Illinois
Joined Oct 2003
1,452 Posts
Very true. I try to leep in mind that thisis $20 fun plane. No sense putting pricey guts in it. That goes in my Nemesis =)
StCalvin is offline Find More Posts by StCalvin
Old Mar 23, 2006, 08:53 PM
überprüfen Sie Ihre sechs
Central Utah
Joined Feb 2005
480 Posts
as you will gather in all the cox mini threads, they do really well with the 450 mah etec 2 cell lipo and weight still needs to be added to the nose (about 6 grams) ailerons make them turn real nice and keep the servo up forward of where the rudder servo would be, you do need a dremel and a little savy, but it will turn out nice.
czechyour6 is online now Find More Posts by czechyour6
Old Mar 23, 2006, 11:10 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Oct 2004
46 Posts
I have the spitfire variant that I have fitted a rewound A/C World Cd rom motor in. Has excellent performance on a polquest 20c 300 mah 2s cells.
Using 2 Hyperion Ultra-Micro 3.7g Servo with full span ailerons and a
Hitec Receiver 6Ch Electron. Running a 5 inch prop it draws around 5.5 amps and easily cruises around on 1/3 throttle. Have also flown it with a etec 2s 1200mah pack, which while it still flies okay it tends be a little heavy and brings on a bit of a tip stall problem.
Great little aircraft and one of my favourites!
:-)

Cheers
aquilaproject is offline Find More Posts by aquilaproject
Old Mar 24, 2006, 04:01 AM
Future NFL Champs
High Ridge, Mo USA
Joined May 2002
1,657 Posts
You just missed out on HL's crash sale. They were selling Blue Arrow pico receivers for $12 w/ crystal.

I used three Blue Arrow micro servos and a Blue Arrow receiver. Power is from a DIY cdrom motor, cc10 and a 3S lipo pack.
Fiasco is offline Find More Posts by Fiasco
Old Mar 24, 2006, 04:13 AM
Future NFL Champs
High Ridge, Mo USA
Joined May 2002
1,657 Posts
You just missed out on HL's crash sale. They were selling Blue Arrow pico receivers (4.5 g) for $12 w/ crystal (I ordered 4 of em).

In my Cox F4U used three Blue Arrow micro servos (3.6 g) and a Blue Arrow receiver (4.5g). Power is from a DIY ac world cdrom motor, cc10 and a ThunderPower 2S 730 (31.92g)

My AUW is 5 1/2 ounces. I'm installing pull-pull ailerons. Static thrust is very impressive!
Fiasco is offline Find More Posts by Fiasco
Old Mar 25, 2006, 12:44 AM
Going Home
Mighty Midwest
Joined Apr 2004
760 Posts
Thanks Guys
Starguard is offline Find More Posts by Starguard