HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 28, 2001, 10:41 PM
Real Men Fly Pink Planes...
United States, TX, Rockwall
Joined Jun 2001
8,080 Posts
My First EDF Which one...

I am about to pruchase my first EDF kit...any recommendations?
I have thought about the microA10 or the Kyosho F-16. I also like the Viking kit from EAM. I plan on flying it in the field infront of my house.

I have not flow for several years, but used to fly regularly and have a Zagi to recrash my skills.

Thanks
Kirby
kepople is offline Find More Posts by kepople
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 28, 2001, 11:07 PM
Folsom,Ca,USA
Joined Apr 2001
992 Posts
Kirby,
I'm not an EDF guy, but I have seen 3 examples of the Kyosho T33 fly, totally stock, and they all flew well. Easy hand launch, loop from level flight etc..

I have read that the F16 does not fly as well and, I believe, is no longer made.

Hope this helps
Dave
DaveW is offline Find More Posts by DaveW
Old Jun 28, 2001, 11:57 PM
canada
Joined Sep 2000
478 Posts
The comet is on sale for US$ 99.00 I got one of those but haven't flown it yet. You still need two Speed 480BB RACE motors and Graupner impellar and ESC..
chrisc is offline Find More Posts by chrisc
Old Jun 29, 2001, 12:23 AM
EDF all the way!
Gilbert, Az
Joined Jun 1999
7,934 Posts
Go with the T-33 from Kyosho. Only $99.00 with fan and motor.
Good Luck!
bruff is online now Find More Posts by bruff
Old Jun 29, 2001, 12:37 AM
Newnan GA USA
Joined Jun 2001
37 Posts
I have been looking at getting my first Ducted Fan airplane.

I fly a Kyosho Ferias alot right now, so I may consider the T33 since I am very pleased with the design and quality of the Kyosho product I already have.

I have also looked at this one: [url = http://www.ezonemag.com/articles/1997/escream.htm ]The BGM Electro-Screamer.[/url]

It seems to be the more logical choice for a first ducted fan.

Its about $125 for plane, fan and motor, plus it looks to be a great model. Looks like it would be the easiest to rebuild in the event of a crash. I like the way the drive unit mounts above the plane, this gives it less of a chance of being broken by a less than perfect landing. I would be willing to bet that it is more stable than the T33. But that is just my humble opinion.

[This message has been edited by planematt (edited 06-29-2001).]
planematt is offline Find More Posts by planematt
Old Jun 29, 2001, 01:43 AM
Los Alamos, NM, USofA
Joined Nov 2000
3,120 Posts
I would give some thought to your second one too. If you get the right set up, you can move onto the second EDF with a minimum of additional expendature.

This is sort of like getting your first radio; a four channel is cheaper initially, but a six channel offers more flexiblity over the long run so really ends up costing less, but with a higher initial investment.

Just some food for thought. (Psst, if you're thinking about getting into twins, I'd recommend the Wemo Mini 480 size. I can't say why right now, you'll have to take my word for it.)

For your first EDF, the T-33 is hard to beat.
Daren

[This message has been edited by Daren (edited 06-29-2001).]
Daren is offline Find More Posts by Daren
Old Jun 29, 2001, 07:59 AM
Ready for a Vacation!
Atlanta, GA
Joined Dec 2000
383 Posts
Take a look at the Flash E-74 from either Tim McDonough (www.tim.mcdonough.net) or EAM (www.eam.net). Its more expensive, but I think its worth every penny. My driveout cost was $435 w/o receiver. Its $260 for the kit w/motor and fan, $42 for the esc, about $50 for the battery, and it takes three servos. I now have 4 flights on mine and I'm VERY impressed with the performance, and with 2000NiMH cells you can 6 minutes of full power flying. If you have the extra $ go for the Flash. I'm sure a couple of others will chime in about the Flash.
Andrew
AndrewK is offline Find More Posts by AndrewK
Old Jun 30, 2001, 01:42 AM
Joined Jun 2001
8,080 Posts
thanks for the suggestions. I have fell in love with the A10 Mini from KA models. www.kamodels.com.

The sight says "a novice can fly it". I have some flying expierience, but it has been a while.

THanks for your help
Kirby
Old Jun 30, 2001, 01:43 AM
Joined Jun 2001
8,080 Posts
SOrry the question about the A10 was ...

Good or bad idea?