HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 22, 2006, 06:54 PM
aka RAMTech-RC
Chandler, AZ
Joined Aug 2005
516 Posts
Discussion
NiMh battery for Spektrum radio

OK, I love my Spektrum radio, but the Nicads are klling me. Can I use any of the NiMh battery packs that fit in the JR radios? I'm almost sure, but don't want to waste $35 if the new pack is not right.
TopFoam is offline Find More Posts by TopFoam
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 22, 2006, 07:12 PM
FPV Enthusiast
New Brunswick, Canada
Joined Nov 2004
1,871 Posts
Yes, you certainly can. I'm using a 2200 mAH NiMH pack in my DX6 right now - just 2x2x2 config. CheapBatteryPacks had them for $24 US including the JR connector - but they don't have it listed any more - they must have run out of the connectors.
martinic is online now Find More Posts by martinic
Old Mar 22, 2006, 10:22 PM
MRD
MR DAD
Lawrenceville, Ga.
Joined Feb 2005
254 Posts
2500mah

Wall mart has 2500 mah energizers that can be recharged and radioshack has the battery holder. Batts $18.00 Batt holder $1.19 You can recharge the batts with your old wall wort are charge with a nimh charger at about 500mah. Everything will fit inside the batt compartment.
MRD is offline Find More Posts by MRD
Old Mar 22, 2006, 10:41 PM
aka RAMTech-RC
Chandler, AZ
Joined Aug 2005
516 Posts
OK, I have alot of 2500 engergizers, but I always had to take them out to charge. This is my first radio with a charging jack. Can I just cut the charging cord from teh wall charger, and use my Pirhana charger?
Old Mar 22, 2006, 10:59 PM
St. Pete, FL
Joined Feb 2006
292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinic
CheapBatteryPacks had them for $24 US including the JR connector - but they don't have it listed any more - they must have run out of the connectors.
I got one of the packs and it is working great. Charges up fine with the wall wart (but it takes 30+ hours at 50mA.)

However, CheapBatteryPacks had a problem with the connector that, fortunately, I spotted before installing the pack. The connector polarity was actually reversed! I discovered this by first carefully inspecting it and comparing against the stock Nicad. (Sometimes, being a little bit paranoid can help.)

I contacted CheapBatteryPacks and Mike quickly checked into it and soon confirmed that a very few of the packs had been built with the wrong connector. Evidently, this was because of a mistake by their supplier. A few of these were shipped, and I was one of the luck few. Mike offered to ship a replacement postage paid and indicated that other customers were being contacted.

I decided to fix the problem myself by gently prying the tiny plastic tabs on the connector to release the two internal contacts, and just swapped them around. Good as new.

My guess is that the supplier for the connectors has not yet delivered the correct ones and that that is why CheapBatteryPacks is not now shipping the pack. This is purely speculation on my part, however.

In any event, the pack does very well. After charging it was very cool to leave the Tx on for 8 hours until it finally started its beeping. After a few cycles, I expect even more capacity to be reached.

--Van
van-c is offline Find More Posts by van-c
Old Mar 23, 2006, 07:56 AM
Ohio
Joined May 2003
2,083 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRD
Wall mart has 2500 mah energizers that can be recharged and radioshack has the battery holder. Batts $18.00 Batt holder $1.19 You can recharge the batts with your old wall wort are charge with a nimh charger at about 500mah. Everything will fit inside the batt compartment.
Hi mrd,

I couldn't get my Radio Shack 8 cell battery holder to fit the battery compartment of my Spektrum DX6. How did you get yours to fit? Any pics will be helpful as well. The battery connection is the JR white plug which isn't on the Radio Shack battery holder.

TIA,

Ed
no stick is offline Find More Posts by no stick
Last edited by no stick; Mar 23, 2006 at 03:50 PM.
Old Mar 23, 2006, 10:17 AM
The Northeast Kingdom, Vermont
Joined Jun 2004
5,170 Posts
Individual cells in battery box

Guy's,

The idea of using individual cell in a spring loaded battery is an accident waiting to happen. With 9 contact points in that battery box the potential for resistance to build up is very high, any potential savings will go down the tubes if you crash. how many times have you had to shake a flashlight to get it to work, and thats with only 3 points of contact in a 2 cell light

Regards,

Pete
pilotpete2 is online now Find More Posts by pilotpete2
Old Mar 23, 2006, 10:22 AM
Silver Spring , MD
Joined Jul 2002
308 Posts
Can it use a 3-Cells Lipo?
localbuyer is offline Find More Posts by localbuyer
Old Mar 23, 2006, 07:53 PM
Orlando Fl
Joined Apr 2003
100 Posts
Yes, but you wont find any which will fit in there. I have a 2500 MaH NiMH from RCtoys which works well and fits inside and charges up from the wall wart. It came with the correct plug so if you want to fast charge it and can hook it up, you can do it outside the case
Peter Wales is offline Find More Posts by Peter Wales
Old Mar 23, 2006, 08:10 PM
aka RAMTech-RC
Chandler, AZ
Joined Aug 2005
516 Posts
Do yo have a link to RCtoys?
Old Mar 23, 2006, 08:10 PM
aka RAMTech-RC
Chandler, AZ
Joined Aug 2005
516 Posts
Never mind. www.rctoys.com
Old Mar 23, 2006, 08:16 PM
aka RAMTech-RC
Chandler, AZ
Joined Aug 2005
516 Posts
Couldn't find it.
Old Mar 23, 2006, 09:58 PM
Guz
Gutless wonder
Tempe, AZ
Joined Dec 2005
3,134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotpete2
Guy's,

The idea of using individual cell in a spring loaded battery is an accident waiting to happen. With 9 contact points in that battery box the potential for resistance to build up is very high, any potential savings will go down the tubes if you crash. how many times have you had to shake a flashlight to get it to work, and thats with only 3 points of contact in a 2 cell light

Regards,

Pete
Most flashlights have really, really weak springs in them. That is why you end up arcing and pitting the batteries, and you have to shake the flashlight. Have you ever had to shake a MagLite??? Doubt it, those cells are pinched in there nice and tight.

A decent AA cell holder has some really storng springs in them. Have never had an issue with them. Actually I personally prefer to use them, because I can pop out the individual cells and put them a charger that monitors/charges each cell sperately. You can find dying cells easily, and each cell gets a full charge.

Just search for an alkaline dry cell holder that has the right plug, JR right? Then you're done.
Guz is offline Find More Posts by Guz
Old Mar 23, 2006, 10:08 PM
Ohio
Joined May 2003
2,083 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Wales
Yes, but you wont find any which will fit in there. I have a 2500 MaH NiMH from RCtoys which works well and fits inside and charges up from the wall wart. It came with the correct plug so if you want to fast charge it and can hook it up, you can do it outside the case
Hi Pete,

Found one for you. Here you go for a 3S Hyperion Lipo 1500 mAh that will fit the Spektrum even with a Deans micro connector.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=470

Ed
Old Mar 23, 2006, 10:13 PM
Ohio
Joined May 2003
2,083 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guz
A decent AA cell holder has some really storng springs in them. Have never had an issue with them. Actually I personally prefer to use them, because I can pop out the individual cells and put them a charger that monitors/charges each cell sperately. You can find dying cells easily, and each cell gets a full charge.

Just search for an alkaline dry cell holder that has the right plug, JR right? Then you're done.
Hi Guz,

Since Mr Dad did not respond to my question about AA cell holder fitting in the Spektrum battery box, I will ask you. Have you put a AA cell holder in your Spektrum Tx and if so tell us how you did it?

Ed