HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 22, 2006, 01:40 PM
Wanna play, ya gotta pay.
Glendale, Arizona
Joined Nov 2005
291 Posts
Cool
Now VIDEO of my SS with the new wing design

I am by NO means a plane designer nor a wing designer....I'm an Interior designer.(no really). I just thought that if the big wing on an SS helps it float well ,why then a bigger wing would help it float better. Heck I don't even know if FLOAT is the word I'm looking for... So if any of plane builders out there can tell me if I made a big mistake or not I would appreciate some input.. I have not flown it yet as it is very windy out today but I did toss it across the front yard and it flew very nicely. http://media.putfile.com/slow-stick-vid-new-wing_0001

Please checkout the vid. Thanks guys for all your comments, help and support
Italian Stallion is offline Find More Posts by Italian Stallion
Last edited by Italian Stallion; Mar 24, 2006 at 11:46 PM. Reason: adding video
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 22, 2006, 01:48 PM
Are you one of these
loveland colorado
Joined Nov 2003
399 Posts
It should be able to drag up some AP equipment easly, more wing should let it hang in the air with less effort.
rcboatnut is offline Find More Posts by rcboatnut
Old Mar 22, 2006, 02:22 PM
Beam me up Scotty
Central Ohio
Joined Dec 2002
550 Posts
The fuse length, horiz.stab, elevator, vert stab and rudder were all sized to match the original wing, all of these should really be enlarged by a corresponding amount but I would at least lengthen the fuse a few inches and then maybe you can get by with the original size tail feathers. Just my 2cents.

Joe
Vette is offline Find More Posts by Vette
Old Mar 22, 2006, 02:25 PM
Rich Hill Missouri 64779
Joined Nov 2003
8,394 Posts
It looks like you're ready for a test flight, try it out. I'd like to know how it goes.
Keep us posted.
quailbird is offline Find More Posts by quailbird
Old Mar 22, 2006, 03:19 PM
Smile & wave
Lancing West Sussex
Joined Jun 2005
3,441 Posts
Hi I S,

As you have increased the aspect ratio (span) of the wing the moment arm to the tailplane should also be increased. (the distance from the trailing edge of the wing to the tailplane)
You may have control problems but try it and see. If we donít try out something new we will never learn!

Good luck,

Gray.
Gray is offline Find More Posts by Gray
Old Mar 22, 2006, 04:43 PM
Electric Airplane Junkie
United States, CA, San Mateo
Joined Jun 2000
5,597 Posts
If the new wing is heavier, the original vertical fin and rudder is not going to control the new wing, harder to turn and might not track as well. The original rudder is a bit small for the original wing anyway.
I would extend the length of the fuse and enlarge the vertical components. The elevator seems to be big enough. If you do nothing, you might see delayed reaction ot rudder commands. The original wing "floats" fine, I have 10 minutes theraml flight with power off on a good day, with my camera and stuff, the total weight is 25oz.

Brian, an EAJ
bhchan is offline Find More Posts by bhchan
Old Mar 22, 2006, 05:38 PM
Wanna play, ya gotta pay.
Glendale, Arizona
Joined Nov 2005
291 Posts
So then if the original SS was designed on percentages, then mathematically I would need to make the fuse 12" longer.....Thats not bad I guess...It would look better than it does now.
Italian Stallion is offline Find More Posts by Italian Stallion
Old Mar 22, 2006, 06:15 PM
Beam me up Scotty
Central Ohio
Joined Dec 2002
550 Posts
I extended my fuse 4 or 5 inches easily by installing a new stock length fuse then I cut off the old fuse between the tail wheel and the Horiz stab. leaving the tail feathers attached to the short piece of old fuse. I joined the two fuse pieces just ahead of the horiz. stab. by installing a hardwood core the full length of the now extended fuse. A couple of small screws on each side of the joint and the fuse is stronger now than it ever was.

Joe
Vette is offline Find More Posts by Vette
Old Mar 22, 2006, 06:47 PM
Mesa, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
1,848 Posts
Here's a thread for you. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=407532

Here's my oversized slowstick. http://www.littleplanephotography.com/personal/SSXL/
bsoder is offline Find More Posts by bsoder
Old Mar 22, 2006, 06:55 PM
php web app engineer
Cool, CA
Joined Feb 2003
415 Posts
how was the test flight?
hemna is offline Find More Posts by hemna
Old Mar 22, 2006, 09:25 PM
FLY3OY
Virginia
Joined Aug 2003
283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhchan
If the new wing is heavier, the original vertical fin and rudder is not going to control the new wing, harder to turn.... you might see delayed reaction ot rudder commands.

Brian, an EAJ

Brian nailed it and what he stated above is exatcly what you will experience.
LuftAdler is offline Find More Posts by LuftAdler
Old Mar 22, 2006, 09:59 PM
SIU Aviation
Wheeling, Illinois
Joined Dec 2003
5,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuftAdler
Brian nailed it and what he stated above is exatcly what you will experience.
Funny you mention that. I went to a magpie wing, from the stock wing. Bigger, heavier AUW, and I went to balsa tailfeathers. The balsa tailfeathers were about 50% the size of the stock ones. It does just as good a job. IMO, the size of the stock tailfeathers are plenty big enough if you've got the throws.
Kyle G. is offline Find More Posts by Kyle G.
Old Mar 23, 2006, 02:01 AM
Studies the wind
United States, CA, Yountville
Joined Nov 2004
1,524 Posts
Wow! There is a lot of agreement that the fuselage should grow. I concur. I found it necessary to add 5 inches when I tried to use my Lazy Bee wing on it. It has a longer chord than normal and the TE almost hit the stab. Didn't fly well that way!! fish
ghoti is offline Find More Posts by ghoti
Old Mar 23, 2006, 02:03 AM
Studies the wind
United States, CA, Yountville
Joined Nov 2004
1,524 Posts
Italian Stallion, I forgot to say, I like that wing a lot. It is very close to the vision, living in my skull, for a different SS wing. Thanks for sharing. fish
ghoti is offline Find More Posts by ghoti
Old Mar 23, 2006, 07:15 AM
The Netherlands, Utrecht, Amersfoort
Joined Oct 2004
2,193 Posts
Others maybe correct, but from the pictures, your wing looks much like the wing that Steelhead (48 inch / 121 cm) offers. I have not heard from others that extended the fuse and/or needed different tailfeathers.

Anyway, your wing looks great!
CrashingDutchman is offline Find More Posts by CrashingDutchman