SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 21, 2006, 01:35 PM
Sponsored by Team Me
Montgomery, IL
Joined Aug 2005
7,133 Posts
Discussion
Esky King owners thread:

OK, there is a build thread, a tail vibe problem thread, but how about a thread for those who are actually having some good luck with the heli? Well here it is, I might be the only one on it, show us some pics , tell us what your setup is , tell us your setup tricks on what works and what doesn't.

Ray's Esky King current config: (as of 05-30-06

AM-300L BL motor 8T pinion
4 HS-55 servo's
Electron 6 Rx
Otter 35 AMP ESC
Hitec Optic-6 Tx
Zoom HH Gyro (using remote gain)
Apex 1320mah 3-cell 15C LiPO's
Trex canopy (cut down to fit)

Run time 10min (could go more but I don't want to beat the LiPO's)

Pitch setting and throttle curve settings: Stock pitch setting -3<-->+10 for normal mode -10<-->+10 idle , throttle curve for normal 0,25,50,75,100 and throttle curve for idle 100,85,70,85,100

Expo: -30% on all channels , normal and idle

Blades: Stock Blades

Aftermarket: (what aftermarket...lol..) Helidirect super landing gear

Problems during setup / flight:

-Stock Esky servos: As of late the Esky servo's are junk I had 3 set stip out on me I finally moved everything over to HS-55's.

-boom holder / setscrew: well after months of use the setscrew finally gave way leading to a loose boom, I drilled a small hole in the boom and re-inserted the setscrew but this time around I used some blue locktite save your self the trouble and include this as one of your setup steps.

-Tail pitch slider was way to stiff had to work it and oil it go get it to slide freely

-Clutch for tail gearbox was way to tight had to loosin so that the tail shaft would spin freely upon contact with solid objects without stripping the gears.

-Tail drive was very stiff at first this was cured after a few flights when everything "set in " a bit of bearing lube helped as well.

-Mounting my zoom gyro with the label facing up made the heli go crazy mid flight had to mount the gyro with the lable facing towards the front of the heli and the problem went away.

-Tail blades were to tight to straighten out on their own which caused tail vibes, half a turn on the blade holder screws fixed the problem.

-Motor screws became loose after a few flights used locktite to fix the problem

Update note for below, I am using a trimmed down trex canopy now, all the room in the world.

-3-cell 1300mah LiPO's were to fat to actually mount the packs into the canopy the canopy so I have my packs riding on the outside of the canopy. (note this might be better with the stock motor since being outside the canopy helps them run a bit cooler)

Transmitter Settings:

-negative shift 120 DEG swash on Tx, note that the swash moves up to create positive pitch unlike the CP2 that swash moves down to create positive pitch. During setup I used a lazy susan to preset my gyro , on the zoom gyro I'm using about 64% gain set via the remote gain on channel 5. For the first few flights you may want to set at least 30% negative expo while you are getting the heli trim and maybe -50% on the rudder channel while you are tweaking your gyro.

Flying:

My king is like a larger more stable version of my CP2 , once trim I would say it will hover at least twice as long hands off compared to my CP2 when it's tuned as good as I can get it. This also holds true when you step outside, the larger blades and extra weight seem like just enough to make a differance with a bit of wind blowing though I havn't tried flying in winds above 8MPH after all it still is a micro. On my stock setup I can cruise around just like I can on the CP2 the heli never feels heavy on the stock motor but beyond a loop or a roll I wouldn't expect to much out of the stock config I have yet to tach the head but I imagine that the head speed is about the same as the CP2's , I also find that going from the 4 in 1 on my other heli's to a HH gyro on this heli that I have to break my habit of flying the tail I seem to overcorrecting things when I should just let the gyro do it's job overall I'm very please with the king my build was under $300.00 for everything , let's hear what you guys have to say..

cheers,
Ray
raynet11 is offline Find More Posts by raynet11
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by raynet11; May 30, 2006 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Updates to config and problems / fixes:
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 21, 2006, 03:09 PM
Sink stinks
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Apr 2005
4,554 Posts
My King:

400DH
CC Phoenix 25
Futaba GY240
Electron 6 Rx
TP 3S 1320 Prolite
4 Esky servos

Flight: Well, I've had this thing for three months now and have gotten in hardly ten minutes of hovering. The tail vibration is just horrible. I'm giving it one more chance today with a new tail boom but I have a feeling I'm going to be buying CRB's belt conversion when it comes out. I don't want to give up on it because the head design seems great and I've already poured a lot of money into it.
Montag DP is offline Find More Posts by Montag DP
Old Mar 21, 2006, 03:28 PM
Sink stinks
Joined Apr 2005
4,554 Posts
Okay, well I'll be darned. I just tried flying with the new tail boom and it's a lot better. I think the strong buzzing vibrations may actually be gone. It was kind of windy, though, and the battery needed to be recharged, so it was hard to tell just how it was handling. I'll have to keep looking into it.

Here's a picture of my tail setup. I am using a non-stock tail gearbox shaft, 2 2mm ID ball bearings, a makeshift collar, and the gear is actually glued to the shaft.
Old Mar 21, 2006, 03:47 PM
Sponsored by Team Me
Montgomery, IL
Joined Aug 2005
7,133 Posts
I hope it pans out for you I really do, you have had your king for longer then I have and to own a heli for this long and not get a flight on it... grrrr... once you actually get this bird flying it's one sweet heli, well compared to the CP2 anyway. My vibes were just from the tail rotors being to tight sounds like yours was a direct result of the boom if that fixed it. I did have the one bearings come loose out of the tail gear housing while I was testing my gyro setup, I pulled the shaft out and cut an extra little piece of pastic to add to the spacer on the shaft that they had made to short and that fixed that problem (forgot to mention that one) other then that she is very very smooth now, I just hope she holds up when I convert her to brushless, man that reminds me I still have to tach the head on the stock motor for you guys, I would like to get the RPM's up a little higher in idle when I go to brushless but nothing to drastic I just want a bit more umph when I start working on some 3D.

cheers,
Ray
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Storage:
Old Mar 21, 2006, 09:20 PM
"I passed on the kool-aid"
Waco, TX
Joined Jan 2004
3,884 Posts
Mine has been doing fine so far. I have noticed some vibes in the tail around half throttle but that is only when I do not have the main blades on. I ran it up today with the blades installed to half throttle while holding it down (stupid) and did not notice any vibrations. I have flown it about 30 minutes total and like it so far. It does feel heavier and not as tossable as my BCP but there is also alot more potential and control. I still need to set up the curves better but for the moment it is sufficing.

My setup is pretty much like everyone elses:

Phx 25
400DH
3S TP 1320 PL's
3 Esky servos from the BCP and 1 HS-55 on tail
Gy 240
Heli direct super landing gear
Electron 6
papasmurf is offline Find More Posts by papasmurf
Old Mar 25, 2006, 05:54 PM
Sink stinks
Joined Apr 2005
4,554 Posts
I got my first real flight with the King today, and I have to say I like it a lot. It is very smooth and "feels" a lot bigger than my CP2. I guess that's because it actually is a lot bigger than my CP2; weight is up to 450 grams with the helidirect landing gear and mods I've done. Headspeed at hover is about 2300 rpm.

The good thing is that after ordering a new tail boom assembly, doing a couple of mods, and lubricating all the gears, the tail vibrations are all gone now.

At the end of the flight one of the cyclic servos started jittering all around, so I had to stop. I'll try just replacing it to make sure it's the servo that's the problem and not anything else.
Old Mar 25, 2006, 09:36 PM
Hanahan SC
Joined Oct 2005
117 Posts
Montag

What canopy is that? Sure looks different than the one that came with my King.
SCELECFLYER is offline Find More Posts by SCELECFLYER
Old Mar 26, 2006, 01:21 PM
Sink stinks
Joined Apr 2005
4,554 Posts
It's the stock canopy. I took the stickers off and painted it.
Old Mar 26, 2006, 04:49 PM
It's Prime Time for Slime Time
Joined May 2004
1,723 Posts
Montag-
What were the mods that had to do and prices? Especially to eliminate vibes? I'd like to get a king or cool. Is the Cool just bigger or something? How do these birds compare to say a shogun V1 or an original TREX or TREX X?
b7gwap is offline Find More Posts by b7gwap
Old Mar 26, 2006, 05:02 PM
Sponsored by Team Me
Montgomery, IL
Joined Aug 2005
7,133 Posts
Montag,
Sweet pics I'm glad you finally have her up, just a few flights and you won't look back at your CP2 well you still may but it's nice that the wind doesn't beat the king up as bad as the CP2 I'm still looking for a BL solution for mine how did your 400DH do as far as climb out?

cheers,
Ray
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 26, 2006, 05:02 PM
Sink stinks
Joined Apr 2005
4,554 Posts
b7gwap: The thing that really fixed the vibes was simply buying a new tail boom assembly. I did some other things too. I changed out the tail gearbox shaft, removed the slipper clutch from the tail, and used 2mm ID bearings in the tail so that the shaft actually rode directly in the bearings. I also made sure the antirotation gear (the smaller one on the main shaft) ran straight and true; I actually had to order a new one because the first one was pretty bad. All the mods I did were very cheap, they weren't bling or anything.

My King was ordered back in December, and newer owners seem to have had better luck with the tail, so there's a good chance you won't experience the problem at all.

The King and Cool are the same except for size; the Cool compares to the Shogun in size and the King is a little smaller. It's in between the Shogun and the Blade CP, about Hornet size I guess. The tail gears are much more durable on the King and Cool then on the Hornet or Shogun, though. If you are going to order one now I would suggest the King because it has better parts support at the moment.

Raynet11: The 400DH is all you need for good climbout and a lot more. I would suggest an 8T pinion with it; I got mine from rchover.com.

I flew again today with a new servo and it's great. There's no more jerking and it's very smooth and stable. It was pretty windy so I just did a little hovering, but so far, so good. Next time I fly it'll be a lot more and I'll get to test out my idle-up settings.
Last edited by Montag DP; Mar 26, 2006 at 06:03 PM.
Old Mar 26, 2006, 05:41 PM
Sponsored by Team Me
Montgomery, IL
Joined Aug 2005
7,133 Posts
Just went and had my 3rd flight today man I love this heli but I have to get some serious power, I'm going to order up that 400DH I'll trust your advice on the motor I can't wait till the bling hits the street for this heli , I have to go fly my FP2 while I'm waiting for my TP-1300 to charge up, the FP2 seems like such a toy now...
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 28, 2006, 07:53 AM
Sponsored by Team Me
Montgomery, IL
Joined Aug 2005
7,133 Posts
Well I'm I took the plunge and ordered up the bits and pieces to make my king brushless , no more smoking hot motor and cooked lipo's, I also ordered up a few of the E-PRO 15C 1320mah lipo's that should be more then enough juice to feed the king and I can use my old 8C's for my CP2 (if I ever decide to fly it again ) for an ESC I'll be using a great planes silver series C-25, I like the silver series since it doesn't have a hard cutoff it wavers the motor when it get's low you can then throttle back to about 1/2 throttle for 2min or so which should give me plenty of time to get her down. For the motor I actually ordered up 2 motors the 400DH and the AM-300L, I plan on trying the 300L first since it is a smaller motor I figured if none of this works out I have all the gear I need to slide everything into a MX-400 or a trex but my fingers are crossed I am very pleased with how the king handles in the air up to this point aside from the stinky stock power system, I also should be able to bump up the pitch curve from +7 to +10 I bought this heli to start my 3D training hopefully it won't let me down ..

cheers,
Ray
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 28, 2006, 08:56 AM
No Dear its not a new one
Joined Nov 2001
2,505 Posts
Hey guys, I havn't been flying my King much since I got the MaxiR going, but I was using a couple of Electric Power 3S 1320's I got on sale and they worked great, just something to keep in mind, they seem to have a few more sellers with agressive pricing in the swapshop sometimes. Also I have an extra NIB JGF 400DH if anyone needs one pm me, I'm setting up a backup MAxiR and will be selling off all the King/Cool stuff here shortly.
hotairflyer is offline Find More Posts by hotairflyer
Old Mar 28, 2006, 10:28 AM
Sponsored by Team Me
Montgomery, IL
Joined Aug 2005
7,133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotairflyer
Hey guys, I havn't been flying my King much since I got the MaxiR going, but I was using a couple of Electric Power 3S 1320's I got on sale and they worked great, just something to keep in mind, they seem to have a few more sellers with agressive pricing in the swapshop sometimes. Also I have an extra NIB JGF 400DH if anyone needs one pm me, I'm setting up a backup MAxiR and will be selling off all the King/Cool stuff here shortly.
That must be some heli you got there if my king blows up when I put the BL on I'm sure you will see me in the MaxiR forum.. lol... If I didn't have a trex in my sights I might take that king and cool off your hands for you, I'll have to see how well the king does once I actually get enough juice in her to actually throw it around if I really like how the king handles I still might buy them from you for spare parts, if anything else it will make a nice heli for my backyard, I would feel a bit nervous flying the trex out back, my yard is big but it's not that big.. If I get the 400DH in her and the drivetrain goes south on me I might be selling my king as well but my fingers are crossed the airframe has been very good to me thus far..
RCG Plus Member