HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 30, 2002, 04:01 PM
Austin, Texas
Joined Jun 2001
908 Posts
What to do with my new geared Endoplasma motor?

I bought this motor from Shawn Palmer today (great guy), anyways i was wonder what planes are ideal for this setup? Also will it need CP cells? If so i guess i would also need like a 40 amp speed control. Shawn mentioned using it in a E3D any more info i could get on that idea would be appreciated. Ive never played with anything bigger than a speed 400 can motor that is why im asking alot of questions. Also any special maintence i need to preform on this thing or is it just lubing the bearings? (or bushings for that matter, not sure what it has) Any help is appreciated thanks guys!!!
JStory is offline Find More Posts by JStory
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 30, 2002, 06:14 PM
Naperville, IL USA
Joined Nov 2000
1,886 Posts
Do a search for Endoplasma or just endo and you'll get various ideas.

The "official" Gary Wright set up is the Great Planes GD600 gearbox (available from Tower Hobbies) with a 10t pinion (available from New Creations) along with 10 cells and a 12x8 prop. Additionally, you should download the E3D manual from gwmp.net and see the bits in there about setting the motor advance.

Mitch
Mitch G is offline Find More Posts by Mitch G
Old Jun 30, 2002, 11:24 PM
Folsom,Ca,USA
Joined Apr 2001
992 Posts
And be careful!!

If your only experience is S400, treat this one with great respect!

An S400 will cut your finger if your screw up, this one will cut it right off!

Stay away from the prop when the pack is connected!

A friend flys that combo in an E3D, and it really does hover at a little over half throttle!

Can't help on maintenace much, but I oil bearings in gearboxes and motor after each days flying and have have never had to replace one.

Brushes should be replaced when about 1/2 worn for max motor life on any motor.

DaveW
DaveW is offline Find More Posts by DaveW
Old Jul 01, 2002, 12:56 PM
Involuntary Beta Tester
Joined Jan 2002
8,288 Posts
Having seeing how you flew your plane on Sunday morning I would get the E3D, your're ready for it. The E3D is guaranteed to fly well with that setup as long as you get the 4.6 gear ratio. Having gone through a e conversion of the Sig LT25 using a Turbo 10 I think it's safe to say that these type of brushed motors are good for lively flight if the plane is under 4lbs. The E3D has been engineered for lightness and AUW is around 3.5 lbs I'm planning on getting one as soon as I pay off the new bed we bought and the SEFF trip.

Surf through the Sport Planes section for other models. I doesn't hurt to do plenty of research before you part with your money.

Kelvin
kelvin is offline Find More Posts by kelvin
Old Jul 01, 2002, 02:20 PM
AMA 697691
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Aug 2000
7,946 Posts
Use it to fly a 5lb airplane.

For more details, go here.

Click here for a larger image.
Greg Covey is online now Find More Posts by Greg Covey
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Greg's Web Hangar
Old Jul 01, 2002, 05:12 PM
Austin, Texas
Joined Jun 2001
908 Posts
Thanks guys i will look into it. Im not sure what im going to do yet. I went ahead and bought the motor becasue i knew i would need it eventually and i got a good deal. Thanks for the complients Kelvin maybe one day i can show you some real acrobatics when i get a decent plane. Right now though i need to get my Simple 400, Zagi and Crazy Max (hey it will do some great tricks) ready and flying.
JStory is offline Find More Posts by JStory
Old Jul 02, 2002, 06:17 AM
Rehab is for quitters
West Middlesex, PA, US
Joined Jun 2001
4,853 Posts
There are some guys running the endo in SPAD's. Those all coro planes. They are using 10 cells and a 50 amp esc. Performance is right up there with gas engines. I have a Dogfighter spad that
I am throwing in an Olympus belt drive and speed 600. Weight
should be around 50 oz or so.

Dave...
LuckyArmpit is offline Find More Posts by LuckyArmpit
Old Jul 02, 2002, 08:17 AM
United States
Joined May 2000
5,153 Posts
The 4.6 ratio, 10 cells, and 12X8 is, as someone said, the "official" low-buck E3D setup,.. high performance on a low budget. however, the reasoning for that prop was the gear ratio I could obtain with the little $15 gearbox. There are other setups for that motor that are better,.. if you don't mind spending more for the gearbox than the motor . If you really want thrust, and don't care about speed,.. 8.0 to one and an 18X10 APC "E" prop,.. 9.6 to one and a 20X11 APC "E" prop. If you have something a bit sleeker like a sport/pattern type,.. and want some more speed in exchange for thrust,.. the GD600 with 10 tooth pinion (4.6 ratio), but with an 11X10 instead of the 12X8. That gives just under 3 lbs thrust but the pitch speed goes up from the low to mid 50's, into the low 70's. there are other combinations that work really well also, but all of these I've actually flown so I "know" them well.
GWRIGHT is offline Find More Posts by GWRIGHT