Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 20, 2006, 05:49 PM
Herndon, VA
Joined Feb 2006
174 Posts
Question
Maryland Local Hobby Shops

Im really sorry if this isnt appropriate for this thread. I could find any section that was really appropriate so... here it goes.

So far I've had to buy all my parts online cause I cant find a local hobby shop that carries rc planes and its killing me. It takes soooo long to get anything done this way.

I live in Columbia, Maryland (Howard County). Its pretty much right between Washington DC and Baltimore. Does anyone know of a LHS with planes in the area?? The Columbia Mall has a little, but it's a hobby shop... in the mall... pathetic (for rc planes at least).

At this point, I'd be willing to drive a considerable distance. Being able to browse around and ask questions would be a miracle right now.

Thanks,
Aspencer80
aspencer80 is offline Find More Posts by aspencer80
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 20, 2006, 06:10 PM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,260 Posts
You're not missing much..Mosy LHS's don't know too much when it comes to new electrics...And, you'll most likely spend money on something you don't need or doesn't work properly for your application....or, they won't have what you need in stock.
Forums like this and the internet hobby shops are a godsend for serious e-modelers.

Now and then...here and there... there are exceptions...Good luck on your quest!
Kenny Sharp is offline Find More Posts by Kenny Sharp
Old Mar 20, 2006, 07:55 PM
United States, DE, Lewes
Joined Dec 2005
398 Posts
Try te following link

http://www.gpahobbies.com/

Never been there - but it's not too far from you.

A guy I used to fly with is/was the manager (Ron Stahl)

Erle

BTW - let me know what they are like(if you get there)- I do get down that way in the summer (our boat is on the MAGOTHY)
werlec is offline Find More Posts by werlec
Old Mar 20, 2006, 09:21 PM
Herndon, VA
Joined Feb 2006
174 Posts
Wow. Website looks promising. 37 minutes away, certainly worth a trip. Thanks a million.
aspencer80 is offline Find More Posts by aspencer80
Old Mar 20, 2006, 09:26 PM
St. Mary, Maryland, United States
Joined Dec 1996
8,289 Posts
Dougs is another option http://www.dougshobby.com/, probably 2 hours from you in St. Mary's County. Excellent LHS, as far as electrics go it's a little thinner. Pretty wide range of E-flite outrunners and such. Batteries are spotty, a couple ESC's, decent range of low end chargers...
Chris True is offline Find More Posts by Chris True
Old Mar 20, 2006, 09:28 PM
St. Mary, Maryland, United States
Joined Dec 1996
8,289 Posts
Oh yeah, we have a really nice model airfield a few miles away. If you are driving down and want to fly before or after drop me a PM. 620 feet of nice grass runway.
Chris True is offline Find More Posts by Chris True
Old Mar 20, 2006, 09:40 PM
Annapolis, MD
Joined Aug 2004
130 Posts
How about Hobbytown USA in Burtonsville, just off of RT 29 North?

Then there's Hobby Works next to Harbor Frieght on Rt 1 in Laurel.

...almost forgot about the Hobby town in Glen Burnie, up by the mall on Rt 2 north.

All have a small selection of electric stuff, but they'll do in a pinch.

GPA (Rt. 3 south in Crofton) isn't too bad for glow/gas - they're weak with electrics too (but they do have some brushless and Lipos). However, their pricing and attitude is typical of the "we're the only guy in town" stores.

Hope this helps,

-Joe
ProBroJoe is offline Find More Posts by ProBroJoe
Old Mar 21, 2006, 06:55 AM
Owings, MD
Joined Nov 2004
241 Posts
Actually I think GPA is the best in the area for electric stuff. They've been making a real effort to stock more lipos, ESCs, motors, etc. They also have a good selection of park flyers on the shelves. Much better than Doug's Hobby Shop (which by the way has moved further south to Hollywood, MD). Last time I was in Doug's they had only about 2 electric ARFs on the shelf, no brushless ESCs, no lipos.
rhagen is offline Find More Posts by rhagen
Old Mar 21, 2006, 06:59 AM
Owings, MD
Joined Nov 2004
241 Posts
Also, it's not really local, but if you ever get over to the Virginia side by Dulles Airport stop by Hobby Hanger. They are all RC and have a fantastic selection of electric stuff as well as gas/glow and helicopters. The back room is stuffed to the rafters with kits and ARFs. I have to leave my credit card at home when I go there!
rhagen is offline Find More Posts by rhagen
Old Mar 21, 2006, 07:16 AM
Elkridge, MD
Joined Sep 2005
305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProBroJoe
How about Hobbytown USA in Burtonsville, just off of RT 29 North?

Then there's Hobby Works next to Harbor Frieght on Rt 1 in Laurel.

...almost forgot about the Hobby town in Glen Burnie, up by the mall on Rt 2 north.

All have a small selection of electric stuff, but they'll do in a pinch.

GPA (Rt. 3 south in Crofton) isn't too bad for glow/gas - they're weak with electrics too (but they do have some brushless and Lipos). However, their pricing and attitude is typical of the "we're the only guy in town" stores.

Hope this helps,

-Joe
I live off of 108

These are good! I have been to all of them - the closest is probably the one in Burtonsville. The guy is real nice too and willing to help.

Do you belong to a club or have a field to fly at yet?
Bigfoot21075 is offline Find More Posts by Bigfoot21075
Old Mar 21, 2006, 08:41 AM
Annapolis, MD.
Joined May 2005
166 Posts
I'm in annapolis and

I have to tell ya. The three shops that I go to regularly are GPA, HobbyTown in Glenn Burnie and Hobby Works in Columbia. Most of my purchases are online.
raptor046 is offline Find More Posts by raptor046
Old Mar 21, 2006, 10:04 AM
Annapolis, MD
Joined Aug 2004
130 Posts
I dunno guys, I guess I'm just spoiled with the selection (and great prices) online. If I need balsa, CA, props, fuel, or the occasional piece of hardware I'll hit the local stores, but for the big $$$ purchases, I'll go online and wait the two or three days it takes to get it.

-Joe
ProBroJoe is offline Find More Posts by ProBroJoe
Old Mar 21, 2006, 11:40 AM
Jaded Flyer
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2004
2,025 Posts
The Dougs Hobby shop in waldorf just closed down recently they shifted all operations to their other store much much further away.

I've seen but never been to gpahobbies. They the previous responses are correct, it's probably just best to order online. There's another in Landover area but it is VERY overpriced compared to what dougs was.

How many marylanders are there on the site?
mcharles13 is offline Find More Posts by mcharles13
Old Mar 21, 2006, 11:43 AM
Ship first, Improve often
Virginia
Joined Apr 2005
5,008 Posts
My wife is unlucky I guess. I'm only 15 minutes from Hobby Hanger in Chantilly Virginia. I can only think of one time I've gone there and they didn't have what I was looking for. I only fly electrics.

Their prices can be a little high though. They currently have Hitec HS-55's for around $22 -$23 but you can get them online for less than $15 each. If I need something now I always go there cause they have it. If I can wait I just order online.
L0stS0ul is offline Find More Posts by L0stS0ul
Old Mar 21, 2006, 12:51 PM
Frederick Maryland USA
Joined Jul 2004
1,042 Posts
Hobbytown in Frederick is not terribly far from you. Has a decent and slowly growing selection of stuff, but maddingly inconsistent in keeping up their inventory so it is sort of hit or miss for what you might need. Like many hobby stores RC cars are the main thing but a couple of the staff have a passing knowledge of airplanes.
However, if you are going to make a road trip out of it go to Hobby Hanger in Virginia. By far the best selection I have ever seen at a hobby store plus folks who know their stuff. Usually takes me a couple of hours to get out of there. Worth the trip.
Duetto is offline Find More Posts by Duetto