HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 29, 2002, 10:10 PM
DLG Addict
Peachtree City, GA
Joined Nov 2001
241 Posts
# of back to back Eco8 flights

Hi all,

I was wondering how many consecutive flights you do with your Eco8s (no breaks between flights). I have a Phasor 30/3 bl motor w/ Jeti 40-3P controller. When I flew around with my canopy off, I never had an over-heating problem. After 3 consecutive flights, my heli shut off abruptly (luckily I had it hovering aboout a foot off the ground). The ESC didn't seem too hot, but the motor was untouchable. I have heat sink fins on the motor, but I think the canopy isn't allowing it to cool properly. I was wondering if anyone has modified their canopy to fix this or have any other suggestions. I'm not exactly sure what happened....it was almost like the BEC cut power to the motor because when I returned the throttle to off and gave it power, the heli started back up

Thanks,

Eric
ebrown is offline Find More Posts by ebrown
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 29, 2002, 10:18 PM
United States, FL, West Palm Beach
Joined Jun 2001
2,213 Posts
Hello Eric

Three consecutive flights for any helicopter is bad, including nitro helis. Give the heli and your self 5-10 mins or rest before you fly; it is better for your learning and your electronics.

Oh, dont use the BEC on your controller, it has a cutoff. I remember on the HL site that you are supposed to leave the switch off and plug in an RX pack.

As for cooling, I have seen canopies with a hole right above the motor and in front of the part of the canopy and covers the end of the pack. You can also add a PC cooling fan and that should help your motor stay cool.

Carlo
Eco8gator is offline Find More Posts by Eco8gator
Old Jun 29, 2002, 10:45 PM
Powered by ThunderPower
United States, FL, Cocoa
Joined Sep 2001
4,197 Posts
Quote:
I was wondering how many consecutive flights you do with your Eco8s (no breaks between flights).
None that are back to back.

Like Carlo said, it's just not "good" for your electronics. Right now I'm using your same ESC/motor combo on my Eco 8 but with no heatsink. Although my motor & ESC only get warm after a single flight, I still let it rest for at least 10 minutes before flying again.

All right.. maybe 5 minutes if I'm in a hurry . But that's only because this setup doesn't get my motor burning (only warm) and I only fly two consecutive flights at a time (now that I got my Logo10).

If I do three consecutive flights, then I definitely let the motor cool down to almost ambient temperature or 10+ minutes in between each flight.

Good luck!

Chachin..
Chachin is offline Find More Posts by Chachin
Old Jun 29, 2002, 11:19 PM
DLG Addict
Peachtree City, GA
Joined Nov 2001
241 Posts
Thanks guys,

I kind of thought you were going to say that.

Carlo,

Just so you know, when using my motor/esc setup, I have not experienced any problems with the BEC. The BEC doesn't cut out until the heli doesn't have enough juice to fly.

Chachin,

You should have seen Gary Wright fly his logo20 at SEFF. That is an impressive ship. He preformed an auto at the end that was quite impressive. Wish I would have made a video of the demo.

Thanks again,

Eric
Old Jun 29, 2002, 11:21 PM
DLG Addict
Peachtree City, GA
Joined Nov 2001
241 Posts
Oh, BTW

Have you guys considered installing a Hacker C40 in your ECO (or any other hacker)?
Old Jun 29, 2002, 11:27 PM
Joined Jun 2001
2,213 Posts
Eric

It really depends on the flying situation; if your just hovering you BEC is fine.

Here is a situation:

You have to bail out and you nail the collective. Note you are about you have have already been flying for about half of your pack. The load of the motor makes the voltage drop momentaraly to the cutoff and your ESC shuts off.

This actually happened to me, but I was using my Kontronik in airplane mode when it happened. Lucally I had the auto gear installed and I wasnt too high and I got my heli level.

Carlo
Old Jun 29, 2002, 11:34 PM
Joined Jun 2001
2,213 Posts
Hello

I have a B50-11L comming and it looks like it is going to be a hell of a motor for the Eco 8. I am really going to let it rip with this motor installed.

I know from other sites that the B50-14L is a good all around(basic flight and acro) motor.

Im pretty sure that the B50-11L to 15L are all very good motors for the Eco 8(which one depends on pack used and pinion). Also, the B50-18S is a good motor for the Eco 8 according to Kontronik and other who use the motor. I have read that the B50-14S-19S are good motors for the Eco 8(which one depends on pack used and pinion).

Personally I think the B40-xx are too small for the Eco 8.

Here is a lot of motor test data in various helicopters including the Eco 8. It is definitally worth looking over.

http://www.dokidoki.ne.jp/home2/tohrus/motorindexE.html

Carlo
Old Jun 29, 2002, 11:47 PM
DLG Addict
Peachtree City, GA
Joined Nov 2001
241 Posts
Yeah, I can see that happening. It seems like the voltage has to get pretty low before the BEC cutout with the Phasor and Jeti. For example, when I was learning to hover, you could nail the collective (when the battery was getting low) and it would not cut out. The heli is virtually unflyable when the BEC does finally cutout. What kind of battery do you use for your RX? I wonder if anyone else is using the Phasor/Jeti combo and not using a battery for the RX?
Old Jun 29, 2002, 11:52 PM