HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by target, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 19, 2006, 10:35 AM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,763 Posts
Discussion
New plane- Mini-One XL

I bought another new plane; when will it end?

Thanks to Larry out in MO; he mailed the kit on a Saturday, and I had it on Tuesday. THAT'S FAST!!

Anyway, it was just a $50.00 kit, quite the bargain. It's K&A's Mini One, a very small, low wing, aileron/elevator sloper. It has forward swept wings, with high taper, and should be a "blur" on the rolls.

I find it amusing that I've bought other planes, costing over 10 times as much, that I still haven't made my maiden with! I've already started construction:

Fuse is built, and 3oz glass twill went on last night. The wings were sheeted night before last with West Systems, and now have a pine LE and the balsa tip blocks, and balsa sub TE drying with PU glue. I love that stuff, so sandable!

Will post pics later.

T
/seonline/pdf/WEB_6-8_Mini-1XL.pdf
target is offline Find More Posts by target
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 04, 2006, 09:55 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,763 Posts
Pics as promised. Almost done!

All up weight is 12.5oz, with the following:
4 cell AAA NiMH pack,
Hitec's new 05S single conversion Rx,
hs85mg for ailerons,
hs55 for elevator.

NO NOSE WEIGHT!
Last edited by target; Apr 16, 2006 at 01:04 PM.
Old Apr 16, 2006, 01:16 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,763 Posts
Well, the maiden was HAIRY ! ! ! ! ! !

Apparently, the instructions, and the plans had the OLD CG on them, when the model had a straight TE, with a swept LE...NOT a straight LE, and swept forward TE!

What does that matter, you ask? HoHo!
I had to add 1-7/8oz of lead to the nose, and on a 10 oz plane, that's a lot!

The maiden at Fermin whent likke this:
Bill L launches, plane balloons up and behind us. Add down elevator....
Plane is now in a vertical dive above us. I'm not enjoying myself right now. I manage to get out in front of the slope, and add some down trim. Plane either tucks completely, or balloons and stalls....
Ten minutes transpire with everyone laughing hysterically.
I end up landing the plane safely in the landing zone across the street at Fermin. Whew, that was HAIRY!

I decided to take the plane, and some lead to 3T to remaiden. I started with 1oz of laed, and keep adding to it, til I have 1-7/8oz on there. The CG has moved forward nearly and inch...
Flies MUCH better, but I can tell that this plane likes more lift than this place has to offer.
Upcoming projects include:
Installing a 4-pin deans connector to the wing-mounted aileron and elevator servos,
Installing a "switchjack" (gasp!) into the fuse, since the plane doesn't use a hatch.
More CG tweeking at Fermin.

Jury's still out on this one.

T