Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 19, 2006, 12:02 AM
Rwarner1976
Akron OH
Joined Feb 2006
5 Posts
Discussion
2 Brushless motors on one ESC!

this will work but i have my doubts lets see what happens.
I think it may be caliper time
Rwarner1976 is offline Find More Posts by Rwarner1976
Last edited by Rwarner1976; Mar 19, 2006 at 03:34 PM. Reason: Crazzy
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 19, 2006, 11:14 AM
Tweaker
Corona Del Mar
Joined Sep 2005
6,904 Posts
Most all ESC's made today ARE sensorless. The first brushless motors had the sensors actually in the motor, lots of wires and weight. The new ESC's now get their feedback timing right from the motor's windings while running.

I would never have believed that any sensorless controller would work with 2 motors, but I have read in these threads that it can work, IF the motors are identical. As I recall they practically had to be hand wound exactly the same, and even then it is risky.
RemE is online now Find More Posts by RemE
Old Mar 19, 2006, 11:48 AM
Joined Jul 2005
140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarner1976
Just reading thru all the GWS forums and Found your ? on the ESC vr's motors I will say this it may be possable I have the EDf A-10
and decided to go brushless I got a Tower Pro ESC 30 A Speed control
and 2 Hacker E3-49's and bench tested befor install of course!
Even thou i had plenty of current as the motors only draw 6-12 amps each
I made sure wires were the same size with in a fraction it made no diffrence
timing came to play no matter how i programed it one would run other would
rock switching back and forth befor finaly faulting after 1-2 min
the FET's take a beating from the motor thats not Working Lotsa heat!
I had to get 2 ESC's but you may get a sensor less ESC and it may work but
im betting it won't due to the three phase FET setup, And the magnetic flux motors create and with induction the FET dont like it' Both start at first but shortly after start 1 sec or less M1- turns M-2 maybe off time causing Flux back to the FET on the induction side to M-1 generates Heat M-2 stops and starts to rock ( back and forth) between fields while M-1 turns and vise versa! It was a mess that cost me around $140.00 just so you know what may happen but if you or any one gets it working i would love to hear how and the setup used.
As RemE points out, modern brushless motors are "sensorless." The microcontroller in BL ESC's sense a voltage called back electromotive force (BEMF). Each BL motor generates it's own BEMF. When the motors are in parallel these 2 different signals combine and may lead to erratic motor operation. Using 2 BL motors on one controller can and has been done. A controller for each motor is a safer way to go.
iam_a_wreck is offline Find More Posts by iam_a_wreck
Old Mar 19, 2006, 11:49 AM
Rwarner1976
Akron OH
Joined Feb 2006
5 Posts
Re:

Well i got the hackers at the same time same place same motors!
they are 2 pole
At least for me it didn't work and i tryed 4 dif motors and 3 ESC's
tower pro 30 A - Jeti 18A-3p- other was a cheepy i spent around
400.00 on this and have ESC's i dont need LOL YOU= NEED ONE?
Rwarner1976 is offline Find More Posts by Rwarner1976
Old Mar 19, 2006, 01:00 PM
Lafayette, Louisiana & North West Arkansas
Joined Jan 2006
104 Posts
here ya go

they run two motors on one esc with wonderful results :

http://www.m-a-e.com

btw, i have been flying the slick extreem...with SUPER INCREDIBLE FUN AND SUCCESSFUL RESULTS!
Kasperwing is offline Find More Posts by Kasperwing
Old Mar 19, 2006, 02:07 PM
United States, OH, New Franklin
Joined May 2004
450 Posts
I suspect the problem is with the two pole motor. I'm not familitar with these motors but I'll bet there is some pretty strong cogging. It will take a lot of current to get them going. Might just be too much for your controller. I have a GWS DC3 with two hand wound GB motors using a 15 amp TP controller. They start each and every time. Occasionally one will stutter for a split second at start up but always starts.

You might try to program your esc for a hard start if you can. Play around with easing into the throttle vs slamming the throttle. One way might work better than the other.

LOL
trashbug is offline Find More Posts by trashbug
Old Mar 20, 2006, 11:57 AM
aka RAMTech-RC
Chandler, AZ
Joined Aug 2005
514 Posts
I use 2 GWS 2205 brushless motors on my P-38. Castle Creations T-bird 18, works good for me.
TopFoam is offline Find More Posts by TopFoam