HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 18, 2006, 10:59 PM
Everett
ca.
Joined Mar 2006
38 Posts
Discussion
the spektrum radio system

sorry for sounding like an idiot but iam kinda new to the rc plane world whats rudder expo mixing and evelon does that mean u cant have a rudder? plus does anybody no if u can buy a battery pack for the remote or atleast use rechargable batteries in it
pbguy is offline Find More Posts by pbguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 19, 2006, 02:48 AM
Future NFL Champs
High Ridge, Mo USA
Joined May 2002
1,657 Posts
The spektrum controller includes a battery that is rechargeable and a AC adapter to plug the controller into the wall the charge the battery.

Expo (exponential) is a setting that allows you to set control throws to that when you move the stick near the center control surfaces move very little. As you move the stick farther to the extremes the control surfaces start moving faster relative to the stick.

Elevon is a mix of elevator and aileron. It doesn't prevent you from having a rudder too.
Fiasco is offline Find More Posts by Fiasco
Old Mar 19, 2006, 03:18 AM
Joined Mar 2006
134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbguy
sorry for sounding like an idiot but iam kinda new to the rc plane world whats rudder expo mixing and evelon does that mean u cant have a rudder? plus does anybody no if u can buy a battery pack for the remote or atleast use rechargable batteries in it

Be carefull with this radio. I have had two crashes in the last two weeks because the rx lost the signal from the tx. After the crash I cycled the tx off and back on and all functions came back. I couldn't effort any more lost planes so I returned the radio.
WhenPigsFly is offline Find More Posts by WhenPigsFly
Old Mar 19, 2006, 06:55 AM
Future NFL Champs
High Ridge, Mo USA
Joined May 2002
1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhenPigsFly
Be carefull with this radio. I have had two crashes in the last two weeks because the rx lost the signal from the tx. After the crash I cycled the tx off and back on and all functions came back. I couldn't effort any more lost planes so I returned the radio.
When you lost signal, were you pointing the antenna of the Spektrum radio towards your airplane by chance?
Fiasco is offline Find More Posts by Fiasco
Old Mar 19, 2006, 11:02 AM
Everett
ca.
Joined Mar 2006
38 Posts
thanks for the help do u think is is worth buying i heard some good stuf and some bad stuff.
Old Mar 19, 2006, 11:16 AM
Joined Mar 2006
134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiasco
When you lost signal, were you pointing the antenna of the Spektrum radio towards your airplane by chance?
The first time I was flying a mini edge about 50 feet up doing some rolls as it past overhead and just kept going without control for about 200 feet until hitting a tree, was it pointing at the plane? I don't know it happened pretty quite. The second plane, an easy glider was inverted maybe 150 feet up and it lost control and crashed into a baseball diamond fence. On this crash I likely wasn't pointing toward the plane. Tis technology is a good idea but for now it has to many problems. I'll stick with my 9CA with changable frequency because this cost too much money total loss $680 plus time to fix everything
Old Mar 19, 2006, 12:43 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,759 Posts
Interesting.

Yours is the first report I've seen of problems with the Spektrum. Since you had the problem with two planes I would deduce it is probably a radio problem. Was it the same receiver both times? I'll also assume it was 'bound' properly and that you ruled out the obvious, like bad ESC's, connections, and batteries.

We have several at our field and have had no problems at any time. We even had a couple of lab rats (Sandia National Lab) come out and try to spoof the systems with some interesting electronic gear and fail. In short we've done just about everything we could to mess up the radios and have failed. This is at a field where we frequently can't fly with a 9c due to interference from local radio transmitters.

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Mar 19, 2006, 07:42 PM
Everett
ca.
Joined Mar 2006
38 Posts
whats the best place to buy one
Old Mar 19, 2006, 07:49 PM
Everett
ca.
Joined Mar 2006
38 Posts
i tried my local hobby shop. they dont have them
Last edited by pbguy; Mar 19, 2006 at 07:54 PM.
Old Mar 19, 2006, 09:26 PM
Joined Mar 2006
134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by portablevcb
Interesting.

Yours is the first report I've seen of problems with the Spektrum. Since you had the problem with two planes I would deduce it is probably a radio problem. Was it the same receiver both times? I'll also assume it was 'bound' properly and that you ruled out the obvious, like bad ESC's, connections, and batteries.

We have several at our field and have had no problems at any time. We even had a couple of lab rats (Sandia National Lab) come out and try to spoof the systems with some interesting electronic gear and fail. In short we've done just about everything we could to mess up the radios and have failed. This is at a field where we frequently can't fly with a 9c due to interference from local radio transmitters.

charlie
Same TX different receiver. And both planes have at leat 30 flights each on my 9C with no problem everything the same except the RX. I just wanted to dedicate the 9C to my Heli's but that didn't work out. Checked RCgroups after I had my problem and found several reports of the same happening to others.
Old Mar 19, 2006, 10:28 PM
ncb
A&P
Parker, Colorado
Joined Jan 2004
440 Posts
On my first flight using the Spektrum I had a similiar experience. Luckily it happened on the ground before take off. I turned on the tx and then connected the battery to the esc. Everthing was online and a moment later it was dead. The servos had power because the were humming but no control. I unplugged the battery and connected it again. All was fine and like an idiot I flew the Switchback. Everything was fine for two flights. I'm not too convinced yet. I sold my Hitec 5X5 to my buddy. I'm thinking I should have kept it.
ncb is offline Find More Posts by ncb
Old Mar 19, 2006, 10:39 PM
Auburn Ga.
Joined Feb 2004
2,068 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbguy
whats the best place to buy one
Tail Rotor Hobbies
770 868 4451

$180.00 Shipped

Milton
Milton is offline Find More Posts by Milton
Old Mar 19, 2006, 11:41 PM
Joined Mar 2006
134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton
Tail Rotor Hobbies
770 868 4451

$180.00 Shipped

Milton
IMHO your better off with a 6XA for the same money and well proven technology.
Old Mar 20, 2006, 01:47 PM
Ouch...
Simpsonville, SC
Joined Aug 2005
141 Posts
I've had mine for a several weeks now with zero issues. I have it setup on 3 planes, a Slow Stick, and two fast wings a 48" and a 30". On all three I can fly them out to a speck and no problems at all. With the wings I can loop and roll any which way and they have never lost a signal. I love it as do several local guys flying them.
frvrngn is offline Find More Posts by frvrngn
Old Mar 20, 2006, 02:31 PM
Joined Mar 2006
134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frvrngn
I've had mine for a several weeks now with zero issues. I have it setup on 3 planes, a Slow Stick, and two fast wings a 48" and a 30". On all three I can fly them out to a speck and no problems at all. With the wings I can loop and roll any which way and they have never lost a signal. I love it as do several local guys flying them.
To clarify I have about 15 flights on the Mini Edge and nearly as many on the Easy Glider before this issue came up using the Spektrum radio. After the first crash I felt it was the receiver and purchased another one and put it into the easy glider. Based on my extented research it was a loss of contact between RX and TX and all the setting went to failsafe when both planes crashed. After both crashes cycling the TX and waiting about 5 seconds returned all functions like normal, well except for the stripped servo on the EG caused by the crash and the completely destroyed motor and gearbox on the Mini.

Havimg flow RC planes since 1978 I can honestly say that I have not had this many problems with any other radio system, and that is going back to the days when I has flying blue/white. Boy I'm getting old