Closed Thread
Old Mar 18, 2006, 10:13 PM
Administrator
United States, OR, Corvallis
Joined Nov 1998
5,425 Posts
Discussion
Please note that we now have a Sailplane Events forum

We've created a forum for Sailplane Events and moved several sticky threads from this forum to the new location.

I hope that the new forum will be of use to users of the Slope area in particular, which is really thriving.

You can find the new forum at the following URL: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=388

Jim
jbourke is offline Find More Posts by jbourke
Administrator
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 18, 2006, 11:22 PM
Feeling FrSky
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Feb 2003
20,091 Posts
I don't understand how this is better?

The whole point of stickying event threads in the Slope forum is so that people browsing the Slope forum will actually see the thread and come to the event.

Conceptually, putting event threads in their own "ghetto" doesn't seem to help promote attendance, especially when threads that were once stickied here are no longer stickied there. Putting all the events into one place means that you've basically re-created the jumbled mess of the event listings in Model Aviation, which I never find particularly useful or relevant.

Please don't make us check more places to get this important information; the Slope forum thrives because we have centralized almost all relevant content here. The existing system to date of having event threads stickied for a few months prior to the event and then a few days post event (for posting pictures and stories) was working just fine--please don't break it!

Thank you,

Steve
surfimp is offline Find More Posts by surfimp
Old Mar 18, 2006, 11:39 PM
iWeasel
Santa Barbara, CA
Joined Feb 2005
1,096 Posts
Jim,

I have to agree with my compadre Steve. Many slope forum users only check this forum regularly, myself included. It's very rare that I have time to paruse other forums in detail, because there is so much good stuff to read right here. Our great content might be the biggest obstacle to more wide-spread use of the site by Slope regulars.

Maybe keep the stickies here, but in a collapsable method that would make the forum more presentable???

--Jon
jludwick is offline Find More Posts by jludwick
Old Mar 18, 2006, 11:42 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
29,119 Posts
Agreed 100%.

ian
Daemon is offline Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 18, 2006, 11:48 PM
blah...
United States, OR, Bend
Joined Jun 2005
2,932 Posts
And a fourth motion......

I have "slope" in my favorites and I rarely look elsewhere...

Don
THUREN is offline Find More Posts by THUREN
Old Mar 19, 2006, 12:10 AM
Der Haifisch!! R.I.P.
Fallbrook, California, United States
Joined Jul 2003
2,226 Posts
Mr. Bourke no offense, but did you take a poll of people in the slope forum? I am going to go out on a limb and say that they would not have been in favor of moving sticky threads to a Sailplane events forum.... I know I like being able to see everything I need in one forum.. I rarely read other forums except for DS...

BD
BeeDee is offline Find More Posts by BeeDee
Old Mar 19, 2006, 12:24 AM
That Freeking Laird Guy
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Feb 2002
9,240 Posts
I'm with them. I sure don't need another forum to weed through. Move em back, please.....
TFLG is offline Find More Posts by TFLG
Old Mar 19, 2006, 12:27 AM
Embrace the suck
Joined Nov 2004
4,269 Posts
One more for the way things used to be.

Nauga,
a creature of habit
nauga is offline Find More Posts by nauga
Old Mar 19, 2006, 12:29 AM
Planet CRAZO
Joined Feb 2006
149 Posts
I 100% agree
had to click again just to get to my favorite thread.
I have a feeling the powers that be(the man) don't care what we think.
we who subscribe to slope are s t out of luck.
for all those who have a problem, where do we go to pitch our gripe?
PUT IT BACK THE WAY IT WAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Fly-Con is offline Find More Posts by Fly-Con
Last edited by Fly-Con; Mar 19, 2006 at 12:32 AM. Reason: because
Old Mar 19, 2006, 01:37 AM
Der Haifisch!! R.I.P.
Fallbrook, California, United States
Joined Jul 2003
2,226 Posts
Easy there Fly-Con... We are talking directly to the "man".. He is reasonable, as long as you are respectful...

BD
BeeDee is offline Find More Posts by BeeDee
Old Mar 19, 2006, 01:51 AM
Seattle, WA
Joined Aug 2005
692 Posts
I appreciate the effort and willingness of the Administrator to try to improve things - I really do!

But I've got to chime in and also voice my opinion against this sort of thing.

Part of the reason is that slope-soaring is still seen as a "splinter group" by a lot of soaring enthusiasts out there. Thermal events are much more wide-spread and have a completely different following. Lumping slope events in with thermal ones makes it harder to find them; and since the planes are often quite different, it probably won't promote too much cross-attendance or anything like that.

So in summary: Thanks, but no thanks... The effort really is appreciated; but if there's any way to put things back the way they were - that would be my vote!

Take care,

--Noel
NWade is offline Find More Posts by NWade
Old Mar 19, 2006, 03:00 AM
Oceanside CA
Joined Dec 2004
4,046 Posts
I really don't have time to go back and forth between two forums... and what about those of us with dial up (not me thankfully)? I don't ever remember people complaining about the way it was before??? Most of the "improvements" being done lately seem to have crossed the line between "efficient" and "over-engineering"
Mr. Innocent is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Innocent
Old Mar 19, 2006, 04:18 AM
Free as a bird now.
United States, FL, Punta Gorda
Joined May 2002
6,690 Posts
Dito.
Brian Courtice is offline Find More Posts by Brian Courtice
Old Mar 19, 2006, 07:49 AM
No Plane - No Gain
Platteville, CO
Joined Jan 2005
1,773 Posts
Add me to the list. I rarely ever check into other forums.

Besides, I don't fly my sailplanes off the slope, only gliders.

-TomO
TomO is offline Find More Posts by TomO
Old Mar 19, 2006, 11:41 AM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2000
8,535 Posts
Yeah, I agree, put them back....
Arbo is offline Find More Posts by Arbo
Closed Thread