HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 18, 2006, 04:28 PM
Hold my beer.....
Fredericksburg, TX
Joined Aug 2005
963 Posts
Rant
Anyone else having problems with Align 35A ESC's?

So I spent a crapload of money to upgrade to the SE - I love Trex's so I figured this would be the ultimate version....... I have yet to have a flight where something does not go wrong.

Had some glitching issues, but was able to get that ironed out. Then I had the 35A ESC that came with the kit go skitzo on me - governer mode just freaks out after a few minutes of operation. So I throw in a new one I bought from someone here on RC Groups who had bought it new and never used it. I was flying around and the governer had a hiccup and then the motor went silent. Since I had a Medusa BEC, I was able to auto it down undamaged - as soon as it landed I heard the ESC reboot. Upon closer inspection I could see two of the mosfets had exploded on the red phase.

So here's the situation - I have three T-rex's and a couple thousand dollars of equipment I can't fly because I have been stealing parts off the other ones so I could enjoy this new SE. I have modified these ESC's by cutting the shrinkwrap around the heatsink so it actually works as well as cutting the postive wire on the servo lead for use with the Medusa BEC - can I return them? Who do I call? Man this is getting old.........
sharky47 is offline Find More Posts by sharky47
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 18, 2006, 04:58 PM
Registered Perpetual Noob
Joined Feb 2006
328 Posts
Hmmm, seems strange you keep burnin the ESC. Check solder connections, maybe motor. I wish you luck
Kill_A._Byte is offline Find More Posts by Kill_A._Byte
Old Mar 18, 2006, 05:06 PM
Old new guy
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Sep 2004
3,152 Posts
Odd that it would fail but all things are prone to it. Personally I've had great experiences with them. The CC35's gave me more grief.

I doubt they can be returned, especially after being modified but the person that you purchased them through would be the best place to ask.
TheX is offline Find More Posts by TheX
Old Mar 18, 2006, 06:09 PM
But Honey..It was only $$
United States, WA, Blaine
Joined Dec 2004
1,295 Posts
I had a much more enjoyable experience with the Align compared to my CC35's.

There will always be some bad one's unfortunately, but that's part of this electronics business.
kookboy is offline Find More Posts by kookboy
Old Mar 18, 2006, 06:33 PM
/bin/ksh
USA, GA, Savannah
Joined Nov 2005
3,363 Posts
In keeping with the other thread you started about your trex SE, I think you may have a setup problem. (motor/gear combo) When using governer mode it is important to have your throttle curve at 85% or more (ie 95.90.90.90.95), and fly only in idle1 and 2. Spool up in normal though.

Also governer may not work right if your rotor speed is not sufficient and/or poor battery discharge capability.

I would try setting up in non governer mode just to check things out.
Steve_C is offline Find More Posts by Steve_C
Old Mar 18, 2006, 06:43 PM
X-Ikarus
United Kingdom, North York
Joined Feb 2003
1,715 Posts
Just seen this post
It would tend to confirm a MOTOR problem.
see my post in your other thread.
Reflex1 is offline Find More Posts by Reflex1
Old Mar 18, 2006, 07:01 PM
Hold my beer.....
Fredericksburg, TX
Joined Aug 2005
963 Posts
Motor problem huh - great, now I have to spend another $150 to replace stuff I have already paid for......
Old Mar 18, 2006, 07:08 PM
/bin/ksh
USA, GA, Savannah
Joined Nov 2005
3,363 Posts
Sharky, your at post 666... throws wholly water on your rex.
Steve_C is offline Find More Posts by Steve_C
Old Mar 18, 2006, 07:15 PM
Hold my beer.....
Fredericksburg, TX
Joined Aug 2005
963 Posts
Not any more!

Seriously though, guess I will see what my LHS guy can do with his distributer about getting me fixed back up.....
Old Mar 18, 2006, 07:37 PM
Cumulus Altimus
KELLER TEXAS
Joined Feb 2002
3,666 Posts
maybe its us in texas only cuz i also had no luck w/ align esc,but never w/cc35/25/or10.so i just fly with 35 solved my heating problem.
ben
FASTBEN is offline Find More Posts by FASTBEN
Old Mar 18, 2006, 08:27 PM
Joined Feb 2006
9 Posts
Esc

i had trouble and fried 4 Align ESC's (2x25A and 2x35A) then bought a Quark 33A and i am loving it.

its worth the extra but i am still figuring out how to set it up fully but the basic settings in "heli" mode are great
helirascal is offline Find More Posts by helirascal
Old Mar 18, 2006, 09:05 PM
Its all fun
Australia, NSW, Forster
Joined Oct 2004
7,210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helirascal
i had trouble and fried 4 Align ESC's (2x25A and 2x35A) then bought a Quark 33A and i am loving it.

its worth the extra but i am still figuring out how to set it up fully but the basic settings in "heli" mode are great
Without being unkind, the odds against factory faults in 4 in a row must be huge.. perhaps your next statement might be relevant "but i am still figuring out how to set it up". Are you sure you weren't doing something wrong?
Tonystott is offline Find More Posts by Tonystott
Old Mar 19, 2006, 12:29 AM
California
Joined Feb 2005
1,519 Posts
I hate the Align controller!

What the heck is the fifth program for?
♪♪♪♪♪ ♪♪♪♪♪ ♪♪♪♪♪ ♪♪♪♪♪

♪♪♪♪♪
♪♪♪♪♪
freddy warbird is offline Find More Posts by freddy warbird
Last edited by freddy warbird; Mar 19, 2006 at 01:21 AM.
Old Mar 19, 2006, 07:32 AM
Beaver Falls PA
Joined Jan 2006
17 Posts
Go check out the stickies... Trex build videos / Tutorials - FREE
There are videos there and one cover the setup. Very informative. It will tell you about the fifth tone.

Thanks again finless for the videos

Bill
willyj934 is offline Find More Posts by willyj934
Old Mar 19, 2006, 01:52 PM
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Oct 2002
1,024 Posts
I have over 100 flights on an Align 35A ESC using a 450T...I'd buy another in a minute!
Blackbird is offline Find More Posts by Blackbird