HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
This thread is privately moderated by Jim OHaver, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 18, 2006, 12:54 PM
Joined Nov 2004
110 Posts
Trader Rating: 5
Sold
Merlyn Cross Country Vintage Sailplane RTF

This might as well be the prototype from the original construction article in Model Aviation many years back. It's difficult to photograph, simply because of her sheer size, but I've tried to do her justice with a couple of photos. I also have the original magazine (intact) with construction article (a few pages of which I have scanned and posted for info [please note that of the two models featured on the cover of the magazine, this offer concerns only the Merlyn (that's the one standing on her nose with her tail in the air). As to the other model, you're on your own negotiating re availability, current condition, and/or price, about none of I am making any representation whatsoever ] I have the original Merlyn plans, intact. The Merlyn is Ready to Fly, lacking only Receiver installation. Stabilator and Rudder are driven by Airtronics 94102 servos; spoilers are driven by Atx 94454s, mounted internally in wings. All are on "old style" Atx connectors, but, if that is a problem for you, I can rewire everything to whatever you want. Rx battery is one year old 500mah nicads, perfectly good. Requires only 3 channels, and I will include a useable Rx/Tx (Futaba AM-narrow band) radio (which is what I flew it on) if you want a radio dedicated to this airplane from approximately the same vintage (don't be shy aboutAM radios--they work fine!). Finish is monokote over framework and paint over wood. I got it in one of those "hand-me-down" deals, and I've flown it a few times. It's nostalgically majestic, but just not my style. There's about $100 of very nice wood in it, even if only salvage value! I hate to think about cutting it up for the wood in it, but it's taking up valuable space in my shop, so I hope someone has a passion for these kinds of things. It will require about 15 lbs to ship when crated (the airframe with ballast weighs just a bit over 10lbs), and finding a suitable box will be difficult, but I will pay for all shipping costs if a deal can be struck. $140 as is (no Rx/Tx); $190 with Rx/Tx and absolutely RTF. Somewhere in between if you want me to do work on it before sending. My asking price assumes about $25 in freight and costs of fabricating some kind of shipping container, so seems pretty reasonable to me. I will be out of town for the next ten days, so don't be put off if you don't get an immediate reply, but I WILL respond to questions and queries for more info about the model (as long as you confine your queries to the Merlyn!).
JGO

04/09/06 update. The Merlyn is sold. I guess I priced it too cheap. JGO
Jim OHaver is offline Find More Posts by Jim OHaver
Last edited by Jim OHaver; Apr 09, 2006 at 11:53 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 18, 2006, 01:28 PM
Support www.usf3jteam.com
Chicago IL
Joined Apr 2004
924 Posts
Trader Rating: 45
Thats HUGE, whats the span?
little flyer is offline Find More Posts by little flyer
Old Mar 18, 2006, 02:16 PM
Don't cut the Yellow Wire
Ridgewood ,NJ
Joined Jan 2000
3,528 Posts
Trader Rating: 295
pm sent..... I can give it a good home here
dr.E is online now Find More Posts by dr.E
Old Mar 18, 2006, 02:50 PM
Joined Nov 2004
110 Posts
It is built to the maximum FAI size; span is about 153", Area about 2100 SqIn.
JGO
Jim OHaver is offline Find More Posts by Jim OHaver
Old Mar 18, 2006, 06:23 PM
Don't cut the Yellow Wire
Ridgewood ,NJ
Joined Jan 2000
3,528 Posts
Trader Rating: 295
Sold
dr.E is online now Find More Posts by dr.E
Old Mar 18, 2006, 07:10 PM
No substitute for aspect ratio
Norwalk, CT aka the Nutmeg State -- I just can't seem to find any %$#@! nutmeg here?
Joined Nov 2003
2,260 Posts
Trader Rating: 157
Sweet deal! I always miss the good stuff! I'll got #2 in line should something happen -- hey, you never know.
SPasierb is online now Find More Posts by SPasierb
Old Mar 18, 2006, 07:20 PM
Oceanside, Ca.
Joined Oct 2003
34 Posts
Trader Rating: 140
Please make me number three in line!
rcdude01 is offline Find More Posts by rcdude01
Old Mar 19, 2006, 07:08 PM
United States, MI, Portage
Joined Nov 2003
88 Posts
Ray Hays brought this to my attention!
So for the quoted price I gues I'm #4
LOL
Ken Bates
kenb is offline Find More Posts by kenb
Old Mar 20, 2006, 04:19 PM
USA, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Sep 2003
56 Posts
Trader Rating: 176
Merlyn for sale

...add me to the list. I owned Kenny's metalic brown and tan version for a time...did my LSF Level 4 with it on the Lake Michigan Coast...great, great sailplane...luck guy.
Mike Fritz
be69ar is offline Find More Posts by be69ar
Old Mar 24, 2006, 07:47 PM
United States, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Apr 2003
1,586 Posts
Trader Rating: 9
Ken and Mike,

Guess you'll just have to build your own Merlyn from the Sky Bench kit I'm coming out with later this spring. Maybe we could have a one of a kind Merlyn fly off at Wood Crafters 2007.

Ray Hayes
Skybench.com
Home of Wood Crafters 06
Ray Hayes is offline Find More Posts by Ray Hayes
Old Mar 24, 2006, 09:42 PM
Thiells,N.Y
Joined Jan 2002
427 Posts
Trader Rating: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.E
pm sent..... I can give it a good home here