Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 18, 2006, 06:16 AM
Joined Jun 2005
339 Posts
Discussion
Best way to cut and shape styrofoam?

What is the best way to cut and shape Styrofoam? Recently I built pontoons for my GWS Pico Cub with recycled Styrofoam and did it by roughly cutting the Styrofoam with a knife, then covering the cores with a sheet of wax paper. I then used a warm iron to give the cores a pontoon shape. Afterwards, I removed the wax paper and covered them with ultra coat. Plane flies well and the balance came out perfectly. Once the ice is off the lake, I'll try a ROW. Any suggestions to cutting and shaping Styrofoam?
georgefromvt is offline Find More Posts by georgefromvt
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 18, 2006, 06:32 AM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,692 Posts
I'm afraid I'm not following what you did. You were ironing the styrofoam while it had wax paper on it? Was it melting? How were you shaping it? How hot was the iron? Didn't the wax melt?
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Mar 18, 2006, 08:30 AM
Joined Jun 2005
339 Posts
The wax paper kept the styrofoam from sticking to the iron. By having a layer of wax paper between the iron and the styrofoam, I could melt melt the styrofoam enough to give it a smooth surface and shape. After I finished with the iron, I peeled off the wax paper and covered the pontoons with ultracoat. It worked pretty well.
Old Mar 18, 2006, 08:47 AM
Tampere, Finland
Joined Nov 2004
4,177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgefromvt
By having a layer of wax paper between the iron and the styrofoam, I could melt melt the styrofoam enough to give it a smooth surface and shape.
Never heard of that before, but if it works...

I have not done much with foam yet but hot wire is the usual thing for making wings.
There is a thread somewhere here about making a styrofoam plane with knife, balsa plane and sand paper.
perttime is online now Find More Posts by perttime
Old Mar 18, 2006, 08:50 AM
Ireland
Joined Apr 2001
4,027 Posts
hot wire

the classic way to cut polystyrene is using a hot wire.
what you do is build a "bow" withe a metal wire wich is heated by a electrical curent.

must say i like the idea of smoothing the surface of foam with wax paper / iron , never thought of that

edit; it apears more then one where replying at the same time
cmulder is offline Find More Posts by cmulder
Last edited by cmulder; Mar 18, 2006 at 08:51 AM. Reason: uodate
Old Mar 18, 2006, 07:06 PM
Dismembered Member...
Niagara Falls/Toronto area
Joined Dec 2003
4,536 Posts
One of the better threads on hot wire foam cutters. Lots of info here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=287621

Brad
arx_n_sparx is offline Find More Posts by arx_n_sparx
Old Mar 18, 2006, 08:12 PM
Don't look at me like that....
United States, AR, McDougal
Joined Aug 2005
2,785 Posts
Sounds like you found a winner in forming styro. Keep practicing and you'll only get better at it..Pilot
62pilot is offline Find More Posts by 62pilot
Old Mar 20, 2006, 12:37 PM
Dallas Texas
Joined Oct 2004
917 Posts
An electric fillet knife can be used to cut most types of foam. It works better than a regular knife, but not as well as a hot wire.
rockin' roller is offline Find More Posts by rockin' roller
Old Mar 20, 2006, 12:44 PM
Curiouser and curiouser
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Oct 2005
2,061 Posts
I've not heard of an electric fillet knife. Is it heated or is it like an electric carving knife that is kind of like an electric hedge trimmer (ooohhh, there's and idea - well maybe to be reasonable, how about a sabre saw with a knife blade)

Walt
Kokopeli is offline Find More Posts by Kokopeli
Old Mar 20, 2006, 12:58 PM
Survival is Attitude!
Hallsville Texas
Joined Aug 2005
2,235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgefromvt
The wax paper kept the styrofoam from sticking to the iron. By having a layer of wax paper between the iron and the styrofoam, I could melt melt the styrofoam enough to give it a smooth surface and shape. After I finished with the iron, I peeled off the wax paper and covered the pontoons with ultracoat. It worked pretty well.
Let me get this right-when you pulled the wax paper off the styro was smooth like Blucor? I know whenever I have overheated styro, the balls just get bigger and uglier.
Skonkworkstexas is offline Find More Posts by Skonkworkstexas
Old Mar 20, 2006, 01:22 PM
Figbash
Farmington Hills, MI
Joined Jan 2006
12 Posts
Another way to make them would be to build a hollow structure out of Blucor fan fold foam. You could cut out a few formers for the shape and then either wrap the foam around them or glue flat pieces to them. Low temp hot melt glue is my adhesive of choice. By making your pontoons hollow instead of solid foam, you would save a significant amount of weight.

I just built a fuselage last night using this technique and it worked out great. As long as you keep the skinned side of the foam on the outside of the bends, it will fold 180 degrees back on itself without tearing.

Tom
Figbash is offline Find More Posts by Figbash
Old Mar 20, 2006, 01:26 PM
Joined Mar 2004
5,237 Posts
Band sawa or jig saw custs foam nicely. Simple sanding after is all that is needed. There's a great thread about cutting pontoons somewhere...
rutat is offline Find More Posts by rutat
Old Mar 20, 2006, 03:38 PM
Dallas Texas
Joined Oct 2004
917 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjbite
I've not heard of an electric fillet knife. Is it heated or is it like an electric carving knife that is kind of like an electric hedge trimmer (ooohhh, there's and idea - well maybe to be reasonable, how about a sabre saw with a knife blade)

Walt
I'm sorry Walt, I mean an electric carving knife. We just used to use them exclusively for cleaning fish, and making fillets out of them. The sliding blades cut foam much more cleanly than an ordinary blade.
rockin' roller is offline Find More Posts by rockin' roller
Old Mar 20, 2006, 07:04 PM
Joined Jun 2005
339 Posts
My cub flew great!

I was able to get a couple of ROGs in yesterday before the wind came up. It flew great and doing touch and goes on the snow was flawless. Balance seems fine and I am anxious for spring to come so I can get some ROWs in once the ice is off the lake. Here in Northern Vermont, spring doesn't come till May!

Using a warm iron to shape styrofoam worked well for me. Thanks for all the advice.
Last edited by georgefromvt; Mar 21, 2006 at 05:42 AM.
Old Dec 14, 2007, 07:20 AM
Joined Dec 2007
1 Posts
Cutting Strofoam

[QUOTE=georgefromvt]

http://www.thecraftplace.com/store/m...Product_ID=327
cesareDH is offline Find More Posts by cesareDH