HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 17, 2006, 11:31 PM
USA, CA, Vacaville
Joined Sep 2005
28 Posts
Question
F5e ?

I just bought this plane from e-bay thats been in storage for 10 years.One of the only markings it has on it is AURA 1 There are some wodrs on the in side of the fuse i think its French. But i was just worndering if any one has ever heard of such a thing? I,m still kind of new to the hobby but I think i have have a power system picked out that will make her scream.
Mega Motor 22/20/3
Phoenix 45amp ESC
Thunder Power 2650 5s2p 15c-20c 18.5v
8.5x5 Prop
M Bentley is offline Find More Posts by M Bentley
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 17, 2006, 11:57 PM
Pittsburgh,PA.,USA
Joined Mar 2006
22 Posts
Yes, it was made in France. I have two Aura II's, don't remember the difference? The I's foam core wing? Mine have a hollow wing carbon spar. I have an Astro FAI 60 in one (1200watts), and an Astro FAI 15 (400 watts) in the other one.
These were made just before the large gearboxes & large props. Nose too short for anything over 12" or so.
They used I think? RG 14 airfoil, best under 100 mph. Of course you can still dive them straight down at higher speed (motor off) and have FUN whistling bye<g>

With your setup it will be a FUN airplane. Great flyer, just not competitive these days.
Richie Simpson is offline Find More Posts by Richie Simpson
Old Mar 18, 2006, 12:38 AM
USA, CA, Vacaville
Joined Sep 2005
28 Posts
Alright sounds great thanks. Do you where i can get any type of specs. for this plane?
Old Mar 18, 2006, 12:39 AM
Joined Aug 2004
757 Posts
M Bentley, when you told me about the plane I did a lot of internet looking for "aurora". Not Aura. I misheard you. You are in the perfect place for professional recommendations on power setup. If you put photo and dimensions so people can judge speed and type of plane it'll probably help. PS If weather good I'll be out at around 10 am hopefully. Erik.
jetdryvr is offline Find More Posts by jetdryvr
Old Mar 18, 2006, 01:43 AM
Pittsburgh,PA.,USA
Joined Mar 2006
22 Posts
I'll have to remember where? But i can probably come up with something. Richt now I can't even remember who I bought mine from! ( I seem to remember around $5 or 600.00)It was at a KRC event, before the move to the airport. My second one I bought used from Bill Griggs. I am sure I have the "spec" sheet it came with, no real instructions as I remember, just reccomended throws, &CG. I had to saw off the nose to get the 60 in there I remember. They were mentioneed in some magazine once, I may? have that also, just need time to find/remember where it may be. I'll get back one way or another. Perhaps this weekend sometime.
Old Mar 18, 2006, 02:04 AM
Pittsburgh,PA.,USA
Joined Mar 2006
22 Posts
Duh.. I t just came to me... ( I suffer from CRS) Sledgers International of NJ is whom I bought my first one from. They were made by M.A.P. in France. This was around 1993 -94 I think? Don't know if either is still in business. Unt<g>
Old Mar 18, 2006, 02:41 AM
Belgium, Flemish Region, Oosterzele
Joined Dec 2001
5,498 Posts
MAP/France is correct . Owner J. Petignaud , is no longer making them. In Germany Fritz Geist , also no longer in this business, was distributing them.
WimH is online now Find More Posts by WimH
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: That elusive thermal...
Old Mar 18, 2006, 03:20 AM
Spoooooon!
San Fernando Valley, California, United States
Joined May 2003
3,791 Posts
pcalc says your system pulls over 80 amps. Prob closer to 90 amps. Can that mega handle 1000 watts?
TheTick is offline Find More Posts by TheTick
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Energic
Old Mar 18, 2006, 03:26 AM
Belgium, Flemish Region, Oosterzele
Joined Dec 2001
5,498 Posts
Here's the Belgian team @ the Australia WC in 1994 with Aura 4, so the 1 is from before those days...:

WimH is online now Find More Posts by WimH
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: That elusive thermal...
Old Mar 18, 2006, 01:12 PM
USA, CA, Vacaville
Joined Sep 2005
28 Posts
Wow thanks for the knowledge and the pic. That is the plane its to bad they are no longer made. I looked at the specs for the mega and it showed 70 amp max draw so i guess I need to reconsider my power plan.
Old Mar 18, 2006, 06:37 PM
Pittsburgh,PA.USA
Joined Oct 2004
10 Posts
Well I screwed up something trying to upload two scanned images of the cg & aileron specs on the Aura II, will try again.
Rich Simpson is offline Find More Posts by Rich Simpson
Old Mar 18, 2006, 06:40 PM
Pittsburgh,PA.USA
Joined Oct 2004
10 Posts
Aura II scans
Rich Simpson is offline Find More Posts by Rich Simpson