HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 17, 2006, 03:55 PM
Outcast outlaw
As far away from RCGroups and the AMA as possible!
Joined Aug 2004
6,601 Posts
Discussion
GWS P-51 Mustang Build Questions

Okay gang... As I do with all my GWS builds (here is my last one), I'm starting a build thread on the GWS P-51.

This one is sort of tricky, because I'm building it for someone else... I want to make darned sure I do this one right the first time!

Please tell me all the tricks of the build. For example, is the suggested CG correct? How much of the battery compartment must I dig out to fit in a Thunder Power 2100 mAh 3s LiPo, and to get the battery to balance the airplane properly? (It looks like the battery compartment ends abruptly in the motor mount stick, so there's no room to move it forward!)

I've already noticed several differences in the P-51 build than I'm used to:
1) The aileron linkages are on the bottom of the wing (instead of the top).

2) The wing screw is on the leading edge of the wing (instead of the trailing edge). How does this affect battery placement?!

3) The air scoop looks like it must be cut in half to install the wing. Fiberglassing this area (as well as the exhaust pipes, and the leading edge of the wing near the fuselage) is going to be tricky.
Just like my last build, this build will be fully fiberglassed. It will be powered by the "Himax Hemi" Himax 2025-4200 motor, with 5:67:1 gearbox, 9x7.5 prop, and 3s 2100 mAh LiPo. Also, the cowl will be removable -- held on with rare earth magnets -- just like my ME-109.

The owner wants a specific paint scheme -- Miss America. I'm wondering if anyone here has applied covering material to fiberglassed styrofoam... I sure don't want to melt the styrofoam with the sealing iron...

So, school me!
Red 61 is offline Find More Posts by Red 61
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 17, 2006, 10:50 PM
I've half a mind...
New Delhi, India
Joined Jul 2005
2,600 Posts
Interesting, Red, I just started mine yesterday as well. I'm not going to glass mine. I had glassed my first Corsair and it just added too much weight for my personal liking. Now I take the kit out of the box, sand off the pin marks and give it a coat of WBPU right off. Then I cut off the control surfaces and spray a water based primer. Then I start building.

To update you on as far as I got, I've cut out the battery compartment to accomodate two different kinds of batteries, a 2200 mAh 3s no name Lipo and a regular 910 mAh 3s Kokam. I'll post some pictures later today.

For covering, you've got to understand that regular Monokote requires a lot of heat and you're just going to melt the foam underneath before it sticks. You might want to look around for low heat covering material, I think it's Coverite, not too sure what brand you'll get in the US. There is guy out of Chile who's done his Formosa in film covering, he posted a few posts in this forum.
docrob is offline Find More Posts by docrob
Old Mar 17, 2006, 10:57 PM
Excellence is Expected
Aurora, Colorado
Joined Nov 2005
3,736 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by docrob
Interesting, Red, I just started mine yesterday as well. I'm not going to glass mine. I had glassed my first Corsair and it just added too much weight for my personal liking. Now I take the kit out of the box, sand off the pin marks and give it a coat of WBPU right off. Then I cut off the control surfaces and spray a water based primer. Then I start building.

To update you on as far as I got, I've cut out the battery compartment to accomodate two different kinds of batteries, a 2200 mAh 3s no name Lipo and a regular 910 mAh 3s Kokam. I'll post some pictures later today.

For covering, you've got to understand that regular Monokote requires a lot of heat and you're just going to melt the foam underneath before it sticks. You might want to look around for low heat covering material, I think it's Coverite, not too sure what brand you'll get in the US. There is guy out of Chile who's done his Formosa in film covering, he posted a few posts in this forum.
Yes, it is Coverite who has a low temp film for foam. It is also light. The product is called MicroLite Film. It tacks on at 158-176F (80-90C) and shrinks at 230-248F (110-120C), and weighs only 0.6oz sq yard.
MakMov is offline Find More Posts by MakMov
Old Mar 17, 2006, 10:59 PM
Outcast outlaw
Joined Aug 2004
6,601 Posts
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red 61
I'm wondering if anyone here has applied covering material to fiberglassed styrofoam... I sure don't want to melt the styrofoam with the sealing iron...
Click the link.
Old Mar 17, 2006, 11:00 PM
I've half a mind...
New Delhi, India
Joined Jul 2005
2,600 Posts
Quote:
Click the link.

Did that after I posted. Dang!!!
Old Mar 17, 2006, 11:05 PM
Outcast outlaw
Joined Aug 2004
6,601 Posts
LOL -- no problem. I know a few things -- I just don't know enough!

Thanks for educating me -- that's exactly what I'm asking for.
Old Mar 17, 2006, 11:11 PM
Excellence is Expected
Aurora, Colorado
Joined Nov 2005
3,736 Posts
Quote:
LOL -- no problem. I know a few things -- I just don't know enough!

Thanks for educating me -- that's exactly what I'm asking for.
FWIW:

Coverite does not recommend microlite for foam, but Tower Hobbies advertise it as a "great covering for foam." in their catalog.
MakMov is offline Find More Posts by MakMov
Old Mar 17, 2006, 11:17 PM
I've half a mind...
New Delhi, India
Joined Jul 2005
2,600 Posts
Quote:
There is guy out of Chile who's done his Formosa in film covering, he posted a few posts in this forum.
Found it...right here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=490886
Old Mar 19, 2006, 11:45 PM
Outcast outlaw
Joined Aug 2004
6,601 Posts
Thank you for the link -- however it does not give me much information!

I guess the answer is, "It is possible. Try covering a scrap piece of styrofoam at several different heat settings until you don't melt the styrofoam."

So... How much scrap styrofoam comes in a GWS P-51 kit again?
Old Mar 20, 2006, 01:50 AM
I've half a mind...
New Delhi, India
Joined Jul 2005
2,600 Posts
Quote:
So... How much scrap styrofoam comes in a GWS P-51 kit again?
LOL, true, but I normally don't depend upon GWS scraps. There's normally some chunks of packing foam lying around most households. Those would serve the purpose pretty well. The other option is, if you're as bad a flyer as I am, you could use the debris from your previously crashed planes to experiment with
Old Mar 20, 2006, 03:02 AM
Pickin' an a Flyin'
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Apr 2004
1,917 Posts
Foam cooler! Cheap, and useful until you butcher it. Or you could just cover the lid
Wufnu is offline Find More Posts by Wufnu
Old Mar 20, 2006, 09:49 AM
Outcast outlaw
Joined Aug 2004
6,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wufnu
Foam cooler! Cheap, and useful until you butcher it. Or you could just cover the lid
Yeah, actually, I was thinking the same thing... ...and I have one we never use out in the garage, on top of the freezer. I wonder if my wife would miss it?
Old Mar 21, 2006, 12:30 AM
Pickin' an a Flyin'
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Apr 2004
1,917 Posts
Minnow buckets, as well. There are two in the garage!
Wufnu is offline Find More Posts by Wufnu
Old Mar 21, 2006, 09:47 AM
Outcast outlaw
Joined Aug 2004
6,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wufnu
Minnow buckets, as well. There are two in the garage!
Maybe in YOUR garage...
Old Mar 21, 2006, 04:42 PM
Bellevue, WA
Joined Feb 2005
959 Posts
wow Red, looking forward to your build thread. I started mine a while ago and right now I'm about 50% done. Should be 70% done when I'm done today, but I really like your removable nose design. I don't have any real good cutting tools to do that cleanly, but I can appreciate your good design.

I'm not looking forward to cutting that scoop. Weird how that is because my Alfa worked fine with the scoop in place.
Travy is offline Find More Posts by Travy