HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 17, 2006, 02:43 PM
Joined Jan 2005
139 Posts
Discussion
Advice on stepping up from the Blade CX

Hi all,

I know there have been similar threads out there on this topic but I have a few specific requirements that might also apply to many others and I think that justifies a new thread:

What would be a good next heli after the Blade CX (assuming I put some time in on a good sim).

My requirements would be:

1) Outside flying: I have no intention or need to fly inside since I dont' have enough room in my house so the heli should be able to handle a respectable amount of wind, say 5-7 mph or even 10 mph once I am skilled at flying. Really calm days are too rare where I live to bother putting money into something that needs under 3mph wind to be usable outside (like my CX)

2) I'm doing it myself: I don't know know anybody who flies helis so I have no expert friend of club member who can help me set up and trim my heli. I'll be doing it all myself with help from these user forums.

3) My nearest hobby store with helicopter parts in stock is 80 miles away so local availability of replacements parts is not a factor. I will be buying everything on line.

I know many will say "buy a T-rex" so I will anticipate that by asking:

Is the t-rex a good choice given that my only hands on experience so far is with a co-axial and given that I will have to set up the whole myself?

What less expensive alternatives do people recommend that meet the conditions above.

Thanks for your input!!
mdelling is offline Find More Posts by mdelling
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 17, 2006, 02:58 PM
Money Spender
Minnesnowta
Joined Oct 2005
233 Posts
I would suggest the Blade CP or a Lite Machines helicopter only because they're durable and easy to repair.

I personally went from a 30 size gasser to a lite machines because of the cost factor, I also didn't have local setup or training support. The Lite Machines gave me the confidence I needed. I then took a 4 year break from helis and re-entered the scene the winter with the purchase of a Blade CP and absolutely glade I did
1LO64 is offline Find More Posts by 1LO64
Old Mar 17, 2006, 03:20 PM
Joined Nov 2005
830 Posts
Esky Honey Bee CP2. Very similar to the Blade CP but comes with symetrical blades, LiPo and Bell Hiller head. Can be bought a lot cheaper too. I got one NIB for $155 w free shipping off eBay. Recently they see to be in short supply (Chinese New Year fallout?) but are starting to show up again.

Here's one for $177 delivered on a "buy it now".
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Another just went for $160 delivered on an auction.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Mike
Mike abcd is offline Find More Posts by Mike abcd
Old Mar 17, 2006, 03:26 PM
Money Spender
Minnesnowta
Joined Oct 2005
233 Posts
Good links
1LO64 is offline Find More Posts by 1LO64
Old Mar 17, 2006, 03:27 PM
It's Prime Time for Slime Time
Joined May 2004
1,723 Posts
Or, dude, jsut get a raptor thirty. You want wind resistance, there's nothing better than a slimer. It meets all of your STATED citeria, although you may have implied, perhaps by thread placement, that you wanted an E-heli. CP2s and Blade CPs are squirrely dogs, buddy. Coming form a CX you'll be on a steep learning curve. Not to say it can't be done, and some people have that heli knack. A raptor thirty or a TREX (not so much) are much closer in stability to your CX than a BCP or HBCP2. They will fly nothing like it, bu they have a similar lack of twitchiness found in most CP FP micro machines. Also, TREXes and 30 size slimers end up costing about the same new. And again look at ebay, being careful.
Cheers and good luck,

Austin
b7gwap is offline Find More Posts by b7gwap
Old Mar 17, 2006, 04:46 PM
Joined Jan 2005
139 Posts
Guys,

Thanks for the input so far and let me add that although I posted this in the micro heli section I wasn't looking for only micro heli answers so the comments on the raptor and t-rex are appreciated.
Old Mar 17, 2006, 05:09 PM
Joined May 2004
1,723 Posts
mdelling-
No problem buddy. I have also heard nothing but good things about the HB FP2, as far as FP machines are concerned. Seriously though? As fun, convenient, and cheap as the little guys are, there are few things cooler than listening to the dirty air blade slap of a slimer's 1175mm rotor disk as you bury that cyclic in a steep forward climbout. JMHO. PS I got my entire Rappy setup for under 500 bones with a little help from my cousins E and Bay. TIFWIW
Cheers
Austin
Old Mar 17, 2006, 09:27 PM
Joined Jan 2005
139 Posts
how well do the honeybee cp2 and blade cp fly outside in some wind?
Old Mar 17, 2006, 09:31 PM
Joined May 2004
1,723 Posts
10 mph max, in my opnion. Hovering can be tough if it's gusty. doable, though