SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
Old Mar 17, 2006, 09:36 AM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2000
8,535 Posts
Discussion
Quote of the Day

I saw this quote and just thought it was a great one.

"What is a moderate interpretation of (the Constitution)? Halfway between what it says and halfway between what you want it to say?"

- U.S. Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia

(can be found here: http://www.boston.com/news/local/mas...a_critical_of/ )
Arbo is offline Find More Posts by Arbo
Old Mar 17, 2006, 10:53 AM
Go get them Meg!
lrsudog's Avatar
Cabin 21...
Joined Jan 2001
2,118 Posts
Of course, Scalia is an activist Conservative judge who found his agenda constantly foiled by moderates like O'Connor.

Absolutists are the enemy of reason.
lrsudog is offline Find More Posts by lrsudog
Old Mar 17, 2006, 12:07 PM
Time for me to Fly...
Mr. Wiz's Avatar
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrsudog

Absolutists are the enemy of reason.
.....But it goes good with orange juice....Hick-up....
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
Old Mar 17, 2006, 12:34 PM
Registered User
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined Nov 2000
6,284 Posts
I prefer tomato juice a dash of hot sauce and a celery stick

BM
BillM is offline Find More Posts by BillM
Old Mar 17, 2006, 01:14 PM
In Development Now
Indiana_Geoff's Avatar
Joined May 2005
448 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrsudog
Of course, Scalia is an activist Conservative judge who found his agenda constantly foiled by moderates like O'Connor.

Absolutists are the enemy of reason.
Reason is rarely moderate. It is either right or wrong.
Indiana_Geoff is offline Find More Posts by Indiana_Geoff
Old Mar 17, 2006, 02:19 PM
Go get them Meg!
lrsudog's Avatar
Cabin 21...
Joined Jan 2001
2,118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana_Geoff
Reason is rarely moderate. It is either right or wrong.

That's baloney. Two perfectly "Reaonable" and reasoning individuals can come to different conclusion even when starting with the same facts.
lrsudog is offline Find More Posts by lrsudog
Old Mar 17, 2006, 02:27 PM
Time for me to Fly...
Mr. Wiz's Avatar
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana_Geoff
Reason is rarely moderate. It is either right or wrong.
Why would you say that? Either I've misunderstood your point completely or that's one of the most ridiculous claims I've seen here on these boards.

Wiz
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
Old Mar 17, 2006, 02:29 PM
Time for me to Fly...
Mr. Wiz's Avatar
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillM
I prefer tomato juice a dash of hot sauce and a celery stick

BM
That's good too. TGIF and all that.

Wiz
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
Old Mar 17, 2006, 02:46 PM
In Development Now
Indiana_Geoff's Avatar
Joined May 2005
448 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Wizynajtys
Why would you say that? Either I've misunderstood your point completely or that's one of the most ridiculous claims I've seen here on these boards.

Wiz

If you use reason to arrive at a viewpoint, should you then compromise on that decision to moderate your extreme opinion?

From dictionary.com

Quote:
reason, intuition, understanding, judgment
These nouns refer to the intellectual faculty by which humans seek or attain knowledge or truth. Reason is the power to think rationally and logically and to draw inferences: “Mere reason is insufficient to convince us of its [the Christian religion's] veracity” (David Hume). Intuition is perception or comprehension, as of truths or facts, without the use of the rational process: I trust my intuitions when it comes to assessing someone's character. Understanding is the faculty by which one understands, often together with the resulting comprehension: “The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men of zeal, well-meaning but without understanding” (Louis D. Brandeis). Judgment is the ability to assess situations or circumstances and draw sound conclusions: “At twenty years of age, the will reigns; at thirty, the wit; and at forty, the judgment” (Benjamin Franklin). See also synonyms at cause See also synonyms at mind See also synonyms at think.
Compromise and moderation is not about getting at the truth. It's about "splitting the difference" so that to opposing viewpoints are satisfied or mollified. When one uses reason to arrive at truth, any action based on less than that truth compromises the reasoning used to get there.

Actually this quote applies to this topic quite well, "“The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men of zeal, well-meaning but without understanding”. When one makes a decision without understanding you are choosing to ignore the truth. When one ignores the truth, one is merely making decisions on a whim. That is a danger to all.
Indiana_Geoff is offline Find More Posts by Indiana_Geoff
Old Mar 17, 2006, 02:48 PM
In Development Now
Indiana_Geoff's Avatar
Joined May 2005
448 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrsudog
That's baloney. Two perfectly "Reaonable" and reasoning individuals can come to different conclusion even when starting with the same facts.
Yes, that can happen. But should we always split the difference since one or the other might be right?
Indiana_Geoff is offline Find More Posts by Indiana_Geoff
Old Mar 17, 2006, 03:02 PM
Time for me to Fly...
Mr. Wiz's Avatar
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana_Geoff
Reason is the power to think rationally and logically
Moderation and rational, logical thought are not mutually exclusive. Extreme viewpoints on both sides of an issue can many times be equally wrong. Remember the old saying that anything is good as long as it's taken in moderation?

The truth isn't always an extreme viewpoint.

Wiz
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
Old Mar 17, 2006, 03:03 PM
Time for me to Fly...
Mr. Wiz's Avatar
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana_Geoff
Yes, that can happen. But should we always split the difference since one or the other might be right?
Right and wrong are a matter of perspective. What's right for you may not be right for me......true?

Wiz
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
Old Mar 17, 2006, 03:24 PM
In Development Now
Indiana_Geoff's Avatar
Joined May 2005
448 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Wizynajtys
Right and wrong are a matter of perspective. What's right for you may not be right for me......true?

Wiz
So if that is the proper viewpoint... On any issue lets get a couple different viewpoints then split the difference? Fair enough for you?
Indiana_Geoff is offline Find More Posts by Indiana_Geoff
Old Mar 17, 2006, 03:25 PM
Go get them Meg!
lrsudog's Avatar
Cabin 21...
Joined Jan 2001
2,118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana_Geoff
Yes, that can happen. But should we always split the difference since one or the other might be right?
The answer is no, and if you had read my original response to MtnGt and scalia's position, you would have understood that without asking, or mistating my position. You are confusing a moderate decision with compromise.

BTW, such as you describe is a logical fallacy. As such, I could hardly advocate it as a valid way to reach a reasonable conclusion, now could I?
lrsudog is offline Find More Posts by lrsudog
Old Mar 17, 2006, 03:26 PM
Go get them Meg!
lrsudog's Avatar
Cabin 21...
Joined Jan 2001
2,118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Wizynajtys
Right and wrong are a matter of perspective. What's right for you may not be right for me......true?

Wiz
No, that is false. There is no mutability of truth.
lrsudog is offline Find More Posts by lrsudog
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Quote of the day - "Whoops" alan_scott Life, The Universe, and Politics 0 Jun 18, 2006 09:54 AM
Cool Quote of the Day Bandikoi Humor 0 Jan 30, 2003 10:59 AM
Quote of the day.. Sparky Paul Life, The Universe, and Politics 0 Jun 30, 2002 11:07 AM