HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 17, 2006, 08:59 AM
Portland Intl, Oregon, United States
Joined Jul 2003
1,154 Posts
Discussion
Yet Another Raptor Build Thread

I had been looking for a small sloper to take with me on trips when I heard about the Raptor from Future Slope Designs. I emailed Paige and was lucky enough to be chosen as one of his testers.
I will not go into a full blown build thread as there are many of them already started but I will post some pics of my build and a few coments along the way.
First off I would like to say that the instruction that came with the kit are very well thought out. I think even a beginer could build this plane with little problems and questions. It is a very well put together kit, the parts all go together well and everything needed is included.
I am not going to do any kind of modification on my Raptor as I see other have done, mine will be bone stock.
Building the wing was very easy and quick, simply shape the tips and slice the wing where the 1/64th in ply spars go. Then slip the spars in place and CA them, glue the wing halves together glue on the sub trainling edges and its done. I used the designers method of spakling the wing to make it smoother. That is the only time comsuming part, waiting for the spakle to dry. I did two coats as recomended and it really made the wing come out smooth.
The fuse goes together as quickly as the wing does. Simply sand it to shape by rounding off the edges. I glued the fuse longerons in by cutting slots in the same manner as the wing spars, insterting them into the slots and glueing them in. I glued the foam bottom panel on with 3M77 spray glue.
Here are a few pics of my RAPTOR as it stands now. I will have to go to my LHS this weekend to get some covering material and then I can start the covering.
A6INTRUDER is offline Find More Posts by A6INTRUDER
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 17, 2006, 09:03 AM
Joined Jul 2003
1,154 Posts
Raptor buildq

And here are more pictures showing the fuse and how my Raptor stand as of this morning.
Old Mar 17, 2006, 09:54 AM
"Will crash for food."
California
Joined Feb 2006
863 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A6INTRUDER
And here are more pictures showing the fuse and how my Raptor stand as of this morning.
Looks great! I apprecite the "stock" build...I look forwad to your choice of coverings.

-Paige
PLA0242 is offline Find More Posts by PLA0242
Old Mar 17, 2006, 11:44 AM
United States, PA, Ephrata
Joined Dec 2005
509 Posts
Anyone ever have trouble with the spackle loosening and then have loose covering over this area? I didn't use any spackle yet but I'm considering it. Don't wanna use it if after an impact on a rough landing it comes loose.

Mike
bikeman is offline Find More Posts by bikeman
Old Mar 17, 2006, 11:53 AM
It could happen...
Torrance, California
Joined Jan 2004
7,537 Posts
Most of the spackle gets sanded away so you still have a good covering to foam bond. You're not trying to put a layer of spackle on, just fill the gaps and sand the rest off.
InTheLift is offline Find More Posts by InTheLift
Old Mar 17, 2006, 12:26 PM
"Will crash for food."
California
Joined Feb 2006
863 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheLift
Most of the spackle gets sanded away so you still have a good covering to foam bond. You're not trying to put a layer of spackle on, just fill the gaps and sand the rest off.
Exactly!

I might add that thinning out the light weight spackle also helps to get it between the openings in the foam...greater bond...or James....James Bond.

-P
Last edited by PLA0242; Mar 17, 2006 at 01:15 PM.
Old Mar 17, 2006, 12:28 PM
No slope for richardo
Seattle, WA
Joined Jun 2005
2,195 Posts
Hey A6, what are the wing cores in the back of the pic for? Got a bunch of 'em back there...
Endless Sloper is online now Find More Posts by Endless Sloper
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 17, 2006, 12:30 PM
It could happen...
Torrance, California
Joined Jan 2004
7,537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Sloper
Hey A6, what are the wing cores in the back of the pic for? Got a bunch of 'em back there...
And they appear to be set up for a twisty winger...maybe even vac bagging??? Another round of your sweet little pitchy?
Old Mar 17, 2006, 03:28 PM
It could happen...
Torrance, California
Joined Jan 2004
7,537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLA0242
I might add that thinning out the light weight spackle also helps to get it between the openings in the foam...greater bond...or James....James Bond.

-P
I'm working on a write up to send your way Paige...also post it here likely. In it I mention that I'm used to taking the spackle straight from the can, but tried the thinning method...I too am building per instructions. I made comments that the thinned spackle is better at getting into the smaller holes. You learn something new everyday!

Raining in LA now. Should be a good way to keep me on track to finish my build...clearing by Sunday, but pretty sure I'm tied up with kids stuiff, but IF there is time I'll try for a maiden then!
Old Mar 17, 2006, 03:31 PM
ALL IN !
Carlsbad, California, United States
Joined Feb 2004
2,786 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Sloper

Maybe they are the Ultron wings ???
Louied is offline Find More Posts by Louied
Old Mar 17, 2006, 03:52 PM
It could happen...
Torrance, California
Joined Jan 2004
7,537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louied
Maybe they are the Ultron wings ???
Thanks Louie...you just destroyed my fantasy of owning a Pica...
Old Mar 17, 2006, 06:56 PM
"Will crash for food."
California
Joined Feb 2006
863 Posts
[QUOTE=InTheLift]I'm working on a write up to send your way Paige...also post it here likely. In it I mention that I'm used to taking the spackle straight from the can, but tried the thinning method...I too am building per instructions. I made comments that the thinned spackle is better at getting into the smaller holes. You learn something new everyday!

Raining in LA now. Should be a good way to keep me on track to finish my build...clearing by Sunday, but pretty sure I'm tied up with kids stuiff, but IF there is time I'll try for a maiden then! [/QUOTE

Sounds good...how's the build going?

I am anxious for someone to post a Flight Test thread on the Raptor. All of the build threads are going to be helpful in making a better kit and plane for that matter. But when you come right down to it, it is how the Raptor flies that counts...

Curious minds want to know.

-Paige
Old Mar 17, 2006, 06:56 PM
Joined Jul 2003
1,154 Posts
Hi GUYS,

Yes those are the Ultron wing cores.
I am steadily bagging them up for Brian.

sorry they are not Pica cores, but that may come around again too.....

TIM
Old Mar 22, 2006, 09:40 AM
Joined Jul 2003
1,154 Posts
Still building my Raptor

Just thought I would add a few pics to my Raptor build thread.
I have been busy with the Ultron wings so building on my Raptor is going slowly.
I got the wing covered and the fuse is taped and ready for covering.
Its hard to tell in the picture, but the colors are yellow, silver, and black.

I will be using a Berg4, with 4 2/3 AAA cells and the a couple of cirrus servos that I had laying around. Getting really excited about flying this little guy and hope to have it flyable by this weekend.

Still, as before, Paiges instructions are great and the build is very easy.
Everything just fits together so well and the Raptor is a great looking little plane too.

TIM
Old Mar 22, 2006, 10:18 AM
Nucking Futs
Southern Killafornia
Joined Jan 2005
1,626 Posts
Looking good. There might have to be a Raptorfest coming up soon, eh? How cool would that be?

RJ
I'm Rick James is offline Find More Posts by I'm Rick James