Click here to watch Amsterdam-Tug
Kmot is online now Find More Posts by Kmot
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 19, 2006, 04:35 PM
Micronaut
Palmdale, CA
Joined Dec 2005
120 Posts
For those of you building the Amsterdam, the video shows performance with the stock plastic (nylon) prop and a 540 motor. I get about 45 minutes runtime out of a 3000 mAH battery pack.
Micronaut is offline Find More Posts by Micronaut
Old Mar 19, 2006, 06:37 PM
Cheif Bottlewasher
Canada, NS, Sydney Mines
Joined Sep 2005
3,181 Posts
hi
nice boat seems to handle well, how was the difficulty,and the overall kit quality.and where did you get it?
.im in no way a pro but it seems that she could use a little more ballast,she seemed to be bobing around a little.or is that just the way she "sits".

chris
more coffee is offline Find More Posts by more coffee
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hi!
Old Mar 22, 2006, 03:16 PM
Micronaut
Palmdale, CA
Joined Dec 2005
120 Posts
Chris,

Thanks for the comments. The ballast may be a little light: I still have some weight (fittings, lifeboats, etc.) to put topside. Of course, that could raise the CG and cause more bobbing when I get done.... Part of the reason you see so much waterline amidships is due to the wake.

I got the kit from Model Expo a few years ago at a bargain-basement price. Still see them on eBay for reasonably good deals. Overall quality is fair, but it is a lot of kit for the money. The brass is good, fittings are fair, wood tends to the grainy side. This is my first big wood kit, and as I'm used to plastic, resin, and photo-etch, my assessment may be a little off. The most difficult thing about this kit has been getting all that grainy wood to look like metal. I've used umpteen (technical term!) coats of sealer, and still have had to fill some voids with fine grain putty. I'm sure part of that is my lack of experience in large-scale wooden models. Generally though, it is a pretty easy kit to build. Hope that helps, and feel free to email/ask if you have more questions.

ERic

BTW, a quick Google search seems to turn up a pretty consistent $245 price
Old Mar 22, 2006, 03:53 PM
McAlester
Joined Nov 2004
1,370 Posts
Eric,
That's a pretty 'fair' assesment of the 'Amsterdam' kit. Certainly not the 'best' quality of wood, but there are also some much worse. A gallon of filler and a ton of sandpaper are very handy things to have around - lol. Looks good so far!
- 'Doc
LtDoc is offline Find More Posts by LtDoc
Old Mar 22, 2006, 07:04 PM
Cheif Bottlewasher
Canada, NS, Sydney Mines
Joined Sep 2005
3,181 Posts
hi all

thanks alot for the info micronaut.
i know the feeling trying to get the wood to look right. on calypso i used 2 1/2 to 3 cans of min wax spray varnish, primer then more spray varnish. that wood was grainy and very thristy,sounds like a tin plate now though.

i was thinking the same thing when compared to mister darby or shelly foss it is alot of kit for the price,and you still have to seal up the wood in those kits.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 22, 2006, 08:28 PM
Micronaut
Palmdale, CA
Joined Dec 2005
120 Posts
Doc,

Thanks for the compliment! I'm in the process of more accurately painting the decks, and finding more pitfalls that I'm not used to in wood modeling. Hopefully will have more pix/videos in the next week or two.

Chris,

Two threads you may want to check out. Model Shipwright started a thread entitled "Artesania Latina's "Amsterdam" tug" that has some good reference info. kmot and patm have provided a lot of good links to reference pix. Also, for sealing wood, Ray Farina gave a good recommendation I'll be trying in the future. His recco is in Stickers 11 thread entitled "Painting and Priming Wood". Hope those help!

ERic
Old Mar 22, 2006, 08:44 PM
Cheif Bottlewasher
Canada, NS, Sydney Mines
Joined Sep 2005
3,181 Posts
THANKS AGAIN

finding this boat has become a chore ,i found one in new zealand ,and another in austrailia.it seems everyone else is sold out ,and well ,its been discontinued.. im making other considerations for the near future. darby or foss im not sure . darby has a price tag to match her gerth.i guess we'll see.

keep up the great work ! maybe we'll cross each others wake someday.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 22, 2006, 09:15 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Apr 2004
192 Posts
More Coffee, www.hobbycraft.com in Toronto say they can still get them. Check them out if you're still interested.

Bill.
dash8man is offline Find More Posts by dash8man
Old Mar 22, 2006, 09:16 PM
Cheif Bottlewasher
Canada, NS, Sydney Mines
Joined Sep 2005
3,181 Posts
hi
thanks bill
well check that out
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 22, 2006, 09:28 PM
Cheif Bottlewasher
Canada, NS, Sydney Mines
Joined Sep 2005
3,181 Posts
talk about a quick response from hobby craft.
flip it over its done , out of stock and cant get'em.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 22, 2006, 09:33 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Apr 2004
192 Posts
Hmm, e-mail response I had from Hobbycraft a few weeks ago said that they could still get them. Strange. Don't go by what their online stock says.

Bill.
dash8man is offline Find More Posts by dash8man
Last edited by dash8man; Mar 22, 2006 at 10:06 PM.