HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Doug Sipprell, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 11, 2009, 10:12 AM
leave nitro and go gas!!!
United States, ME, Bangor
Joined Jan 2004
362 Posts
I got it in a swap, I almost think it may have been from ColbySTS but not sure.
amitysanimal is offline Find More Posts by amitysanimal
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 11, 2009, 11:32 AM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitysanimal View Post
I got it in a swap, I almost think it may have been from ColbySTS but not sure.
The Elfi is a great plane, especially when upgraded with a brushless motor, 1320 3S Lipo, 9x6 APC SF or E prop. I have been known to haul one around with me when on business travel. Caused some concern at the US border once, had to convince the inspector the plane was not carrying some type of thermo-nuclear device.

Will be traveling in Maine next week. Not planning on having an Elfi with me, but just might pack an Ember!

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Old Nov 11, 2009, 03:10 PM
Joined Jan 2004
362 Posts
I might try a brushless on it sometime. Will probably try it with the stock motor first.
Is there anyplace I can download the manual? I have no idea where the CG is.

What part of Maine are you going to be in? I live near Bangor but I grew up in the county, bu Houlton.
Old Nov 11, 2009, 04:18 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,545 Posts
Quote:
I might try a brushless on it sometime. Will probably try it with the stock motor first.
Is there anyplace I can download the manual? I have no idea where the CG is.
The "building instructions" were basically prepared by Northeast Sailplane of Vermont. 4 pages. No download file available, but if you have access to a fax machine, PM or email me the number and I can fax you a copy. The CG should be 2-3/8" back from the leading edge of the wing. If you are going to fly the plane with it's original Speed 280 motor, try to get a 7 or 8 cell NiMH pack, at least 500 mAh, preferably more. I used 8-cell, AAA NiMH 720 mAh packs from Hobby Lobby back before my Lipo days. Pack got hotter than hell but the plane did OK with them. You could also use a 1300-1350 2S Lipo, but your voltage will not be that high, so prop RPM will not be up to full power. However, the Lipo will hold the charge longer.

Quote:
What part of Maine are you going to be in? I live near Bangor but I grew up in the county, bu Houlton.
If I can get an appointment with the mill in Bucksport, I will very likely be staying over in Bangor for at least one night. I make the tour of E. Millinocket, Bucksport, Madison, Jay, Rumford.

Does your Elfi have ailerons? The plane was available in two versions, actually a third but that never really made it to the US.

RD
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 12, 2009, 07:30 PM
Joined Jan 2004
362 Posts
My Elfi does have ailerons......I have quite a few KAN 650 nimh packs I can use in it too I guess. Any chance you would want to buy this Elfi? If so what is it worth to you? I may sell it if the price is right.

There is a decent hobby shop close to Bangor, you might want to check it out if you get a chance, its called Kings Mountain RC. Its not huge but his prices are cheaper than Tower Hobbies.
Old Nov 12, 2009, 08:48 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,545 Posts
Quote:
My Elfi does have ailerons......I have quite a few KAN 650 nimh packs I can use in it too I guess. Any chance you would want to buy this Elfi? If so what is it worth to you? I may sell it if the price is right.
Possible interest would be mostly for specific parts. I have two other Elfi kits on the shelf, one with ailerons, one without. Also, spares purchased from Northeast Sailplane when they dropped the line. I would have to see the plane to verify it's condition. The main wing might be the one part that might be of interest.

KAN 650's were good batteries in their day. An 8 cell pack should work well. A CC Pixie 14 (if still available) or Pixie 20 brushed ESC will work well also.

RD
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 12, 2009, 09:47 PM
Joined Jan 2004
362 Posts
It has the pixie 14 in it already and 2 multiplex servos. I do have some lipos, a bunch of 2s 740mah and a 3s 640mah and some 3s 2200mah. i just ordered a 2s 1000mah lipo for a wing I have. i also have some multiplex geared 400 motors I could try, with so many planes its hard to keep them all flying though. LOL
Old Jan 29, 2010, 07:38 PM
Gahanna, OH
Joined Apr 2008
3 Posts
Doug, do you think the following combo would be an adequate brushless setup? I'm ordering some lipo's for my Blade MCX and thought I'd look at upgrading the Elfi's powerplant.

I still haven't flown the Elfi yet. You guys scared the crap out of me! And I wanted to upgrade it first.

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...3.8_Prop_Combo
98Silverado is offline Find More Posts by 98Silverado
Old Jan 29, 2010, 08:48 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,545 Posts
The motor you have selected would have plenty of power for the Elfi, but it will present problems with mounting. Also, this motor (which I am familiar with) has the classic threaded prop shaft, better suited to GWS props. I personally feel the best way to attach a brushless motor to the fiberglass tube front fuselage of the Elfi is via the adaptor that accepts the 10mm rear shaft of the B/L motor. I sourced this adapter, complete with a short length of tube, from Hobby Lobby International. Not sure if they still have the adapter, but BP Hobbies did a while back. I basically used a short lenght of brass tubing to act as in internal sleeve that fit inside the Elfi fuselage tube and the tube portion of the motor adapter. I cut the adapter tube to the proper length so as to have the same prop clearance from the nose of the fuselage pod. 5 minute epoxy did the job for holding everything together. I routed the three wires from the motor to the three wires from the ESC in such a way as to have access to them externally from the pod. This allows me to change out a motor more easily, should there be a need for this. Sounds complicated but it really isn't. Unfortunately, the PJS motors are no longer available.

Quote:
I still haven't flown the Elfi yet. You guys scared the crap out of me! And I wanted to upgrade it first.
Not sure how we managed to do that. The Elfi is not difficult to fly, but I would not consider it a "first" plane for someone absolutely new to RC. This is more of a concern for damaging a beautiful plane that is now out of production, versus the plane being difficult to fly.

I can take some other close up photos of the B/L adaptation I made, if that will be of help.

Thanks for keep in touch.

RD
RCG Plus Member