HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Doug Sipprell, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 24, 2007, 09:35 AM
EXPERIMENTAL
Atlanta
Joined Nov 2002
1,568 Posts
Sorry, gents but my website had been down for a while. I just got lucky and found some very stiff plastic tubing that slips over the shaft of the Nippy motor. A little electrical tape holds it in place. Other outrunners may be more difficult to mount.
L8r
Kip
n111kx is offline Find More Posts by n111kx
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 25, 2007, 09:44 PM
Merced, CA
Joined Aug 2002
4 Posts
Elfi mounting an AXI or similar motor

I've just finished turning down half of a 10mm square GWS motor mount stick to fit snugly inside the Elfi's motor tube. It will leave a 10mm square extension on the tube allowing the use of numerous brushless mounts (several of which are sitting in my junk box) designed for stick mounting. I will try to post pictures when I am finished mounting the motor. (finally found a use for that little four-jaw chuck on the Unimat-1!)

Thanks for all the ideas and pics. I'm now getting pretty anxious to fly the Elfi. Do you know if there are any posted videos of Elfi (is that plural?) in flight?
rlcheek is offline Find More Posts by rlcheek
Old Sep 25, 2007, 09:56 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlcheek
Thanks for all the ideas and pics. I'm now getting pretty anxious to fly the Elfi. Do you know if there are any posted videos of Elfi (is that plural?) in flight?
The only videos I have of an Elfi in action is that of one with a video camera, hence you see what the camera sees. I'll have to check my files and see if there are any other videos that might apply.

FWIW: I always hand launch my Elfi's, as the small wheels get snagged by the grass on our runway. With my PJS B/L motor setups, I launch at about 50-60% throttle. Sometimes I get a torque induced left bank when the plane is first launched, but it's easy to catch and correct. Haven't crashed an Elfi on launching in years. Elfi #2 did a nose dive once, but that was because I forgot to reverse the servo switch on the transmitter. The same radio is used for other planes.

Get a photo of your motor mount if you can. Would be great info to add to my Elfi database.

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Old Sep 26, 2007, 11:44 AM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,546 Posts
Hand Launching

Sorry for the lousy picture, made worse by the reflection on the bottom of the wing. When hand launching your Elfi, be sure your hand and fingers are BEHIND the landing gear. It's easy to snag a finger on the landing gear upon launching, resulting in the plane being knocked off its proper path and possibly hooking off to the left or right. You don't have much altitude to correct a bad throw when hand launching. Guess how I found this out!!

RD
RCG Plus Member
Old May 15, 2008, 10:07 PM
Gahanna, OH
Joined Apr 2008
3 Posts
Thanks for the wealth of information! I have recently obtained a Elfi w/ ailerons off of Craigslist. It's my first plane. I've got pretty comfortable on the simulator, and am ready for the maiden voyage.

Can you provide any insight in to the location of the CG? Also, I'm curious if you know the specs for the throws of the rudder, ailerons, and elevators. Any help would be much appreciated.

My bird appears to be stock, with the 3 blade prop, and came with 2 Ni-mh batteries.

One other question, how do you transport these planes and protect them? Are there bags/boxes to put them in? I found a box large enough to stow the wing in, but not the fuselage.

Thanks in advance!!

Josh
98Silverado is offline Find More Posts by 98Silverado
Old May 15, 2008, 10:47 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,546 Posts
Josh: Thanks for your post. I have the original manual for the Elfi, showing the proper CG location. Also, the recommended initial throws for aileron, rudder, and elevator. Unfortunately, I am presently on business travel and won't be home until a week from this coming Sunday.

My Elfi with ailerons is what I call Elfi #2. The plane will turn well on ailerons alone. To do a tight aileron roll, however, you need to first input rudder and then bring in aileron. Sort of a lead with rudder, add aileron, release aileron, release rudder.

If you have the original three bladed prop, you almost assuredly will have the original motor, a Speed 280, geared 4:1. This power system will work, but it's marginal. If you turn too tight, or slow the plane down in a tight turn, the plane will tip stall and go into the classic death spiral. For the stock motor, an 8-cell NiMH pack is a must. I used 8 AAA 900 mAh packs for some time, available from most battery suppliers. I used Hobby Lobby at the time. The conversion to brushless was a huge step up, allowing for the use of LiPo's and having plenty of power. My Elfi #3 was pure stock when I bought it. I wanted to stay "retro" with it, but the performance was so marginal, I converted it to brushless.

If possible, check with me again on the 23rd or 24th. If I am home, I can get you the information needed. I now use more than the recommended throw's for all surfaces as I have had many, many flights with my Elfi fleet and know how the plane(s) will respond. I also know that a new flyer with an Elfi can get into trouble if the throws are TOO much. I decided arbitrarily to increase the throws on Efli 1, a three channel set up. Ended up with WAY too much sensitivity and crashed the plane on its maiden flight, after 20-30 seconds of
over controlling!

As a guess, you might want to try +/- 3/8" throws for rudder and aileron, and +/- 1/2" for elevator. You need to be able to flare the plane on landing.

Check out the photos here. You can see a white sticker I use to mark the CG on the bottom of the wing. You can see where these stickers are located, relative to the main spar, aileron servo. Perhaps this will help.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=25

What size/cell count are the NiMH packs that came with the plane?

Quote:
I've got pretty comfortable on the simulator, and am ready for the maiden voyage.
Do you have a simulator program that features the Elfi?

RD
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Doug Sipprell; May 16, 2008 at 03:01 PM.
Old May 16, 2008, 06:49 AM
EXPERIMENTAL
Atlanta
Joined Nov 2002
1,568 Posts
Doug is the expert and he's got some good info but let me just emphasize that this plane will tip-stall easily and it's a bit fragile relatively speaking. Therefore, it's not an ideal "first" plane. You may consider a cheap foamy to bang around and the move on to the beautiful Elfi. I'm glad to hear that you found one and wish you luck...
Kip
n111kx is offline Find More Posts by n111kx
Old May 16, 2008, 03:06 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,546 Posts
Yes, Kip is absolutely right. Being that the Elfi is now, as of this date, no longer in production, you might not want to "sacrifice" it during the learning process. You might start out with a GWS Slow Stik, or a Multiplex Easy Star. Then, move up to the Elfi.....with brushless conversion.

Good luck and stay in touch. "Elfi Speak" is always popular on my blog!

RD
RCG Plus Member
Old May 16, 2008, 05:25 PM
Go Forward, but Remember
Pawling NY
Joined Oct 2002
944 Posts
The nice thing about the Slow Stick for me is that they use the same Astro 010 geared brushless motor as I've got in my Elfi (#3 by the way).
reills is offline Find More Posts by reills
Old May 16, 2008, 08:31 PM
Gahanna, OH
Joined Apr 2008
3 Posts
Here are a few pic's of my Elfi.

I've been flying on FMS. I bought the USB cable on EBaythe plugs in to the trainer port of the Hitec Focus 4 that came with the Elfi. I couldn't ever find a Elfi plane to fly in FMS, are you aware of one?

I've found a few park flyers in there, and can fly them pretty well. I really like one that looks like a 'Flatout' Gee-Bee. It is very aerobatic, yet slow.

In response to the batteries, they are 7 cell 600 mAh. The previous owner said it has a Pixie-14 ESC. Did the plane come with the ESC? Just curious. It looks like it can't handle 3 servos at 8 cells, only 2.

"5 to 7 cells wit up to 3 micro servos, Up to 8 cells with 2 micro servos, 18 cells max with BEC disabled"
98Silverado is offline Find More Posts by 98Silverado
Last edited by 98Silverado; May 16, 2008 at 08:37 PM.
Old May 17, 2008, 09:39 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,546 Posts
Quote:
....Hitec Focus 4 that came with the Elfi.
Interesting! This is the same transmitter I use for two of my Elfi's, including the aileron version (Elfi #2).
Quote:
...I couldn't ever find a Elfi plane to fly in FMS,
Neither could I. I don't have a simulator program, but I have looked around at others and never did find one with an Elfi simulation.
Quote:
..the batteries, they are 7 cell 600 mAh.
I ran an 8 cell 710 NiMH pack (from Hobby Lobby) in my Elfi #2. I am concerned about a 7 cell pack in that top voltage will be 8.4 non-load, dropping to the mid 7 volt range when under load. Your motor appears to be the stock Speed 280, running through a 4:1 gearbox. Hence, prop RPM's will not all that high, and the three bladed stock prop is not the most efficient. I found the stock power system, as you have it, was somewhat marginal, but workable with an 8 cell pack. Many flights with that arrangement, before going to a Speed 300 brushed motor. Performance was better, but it was a drain on the battery pack.
Quote:
...it has a Pixie-14 ESC
This is a good choice. I used the same controller when flying with the Speed 280 and Speed 300 brushed motors. I never had a problem with running 3 servos and this ESC, on the 8 cell pack. I use Hitec HS55 servos in Elfi #2.

I recommend you make gentle turns, easily done on aileron alone, and keep the speed up. Not wide open, but probably 60-70% throttle. If you use the 7 cell packs, you will probably find you will need almost 100% throttle, certainly when climbing. Try to keep the plane up about 150-200 feet on initial flights, a good 2 mistakes high. The Elfi is not a "slow" flyer such as the GWS Slow Stik or Pico Tiger Moth. However, it's not a speed demon either. It's a great flyer, with some tip stall sensitivity when turning at slow speeds. If at low altitude when getting into this situation, it's a guaranteed crunch. Thanks for the photos.

RD
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 28, 2009, 11:44 AM
Maine
Joined Oct 2009
27 Posts
Hi I found a never flown Elfi at a yardsale last weekend and feel that i would total it as soon as i got it off the ground? It has ailerons has is in perfect condition. Would any one be interested in buying it?
ColbySTS is offline Find More Posts by ColbySTS
Old Oct 28, 2009, 01:06 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,546 Posts
Post some photos, especially of the wing, close-ups preferred. Make an offer that no one could refuse!

I might be up in your great State next month. If you want to , PM me with your location.

Regards,

RD
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 10, 2009, 07:24 AM
leave nitro and go gas!!!
United States, ME, Bangor
Joined Jan 2004
362 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColbySTS View Post
Hi I found a never flown Elfi at a yardsale last weekend and feel that i would total it as soon as i got it off the ground? It has ailerons has is in perfect condition. Would any one be interested in buying it?
I just picked one up last night, I am in Carmel, where in Maine are you? I may buy yours to have as a spare or I have lots of rcs to swap.
amitysanimal is offline Find More Posts by amitysanimal
Old Nov 10, 2009, 04:07 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitysanimal View Post
I just picked one up last night, I am in Carmel, where in Maine are you? I may buy yours to have as a spare or I have lots of rcs to swap.
Wow, also of a sudden, Elfi's popping up. Where did you find yours?

RD
RCG Plus Member