HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Doug Sipprell, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 07:06 PM
Go Forward, but Remember
Pawling NY
Joined Oct 2002
944 Posts
Yessir, any chance of maybe a group buy???
reills is offline Find More Posts by reills
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 10, 2006, 07:54 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,554 Posts
Reills:

Funny you should mention that. In one of my emails from Brian Anderson, he offered that as a possibility. So, I am sure we, or in this case I, would be glad to try and contact FVK again and ask about pricing on a group purchase. Would probably have to be a minimum of 4 or 5 planes, but I don't know that for sure. I'm game for one of them ("Q" model). Perhaps we should put out a general message in the Park Flyer forum for interested Elfi buyers. Not sure if many of the Park Flyer group hit on this blog.

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Old Aug 12, 2006, 12:33 PM
San Jose, California, United States
Joined Feb 2001
256 Posts
A group purchase would be a good idea. I would be interested in an Elfi B. Always wanted one but never got the chance to get one. I think posting in the Parkflyer forum would be a good idea to see whether others would be interested in a group purchase.

Alfred
atsiang is offline Find More Posts by atsiang
Old Sep 10, 2006, 01:02 PM
Atlanta,GA
Joined Jan 2001
152 Posts
I was an Elfi addict when I first got into RC in 2000. I went through probably about 10 of them within a span of couple years....that was when I was young and stupid...

I've still got one that is flyable but in ill-repair...I really think i'm gonna have to order a 'B' from FVK DE . has anyone actually got one of these yet?
I've got the Elfi itch again.

chris
wamdue is offline Find More Posts by wamdue
Old Sep 10, 2006, 07:32 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,554 Posts
Chris:

Many thanks for your comments and posting on my blog. Perhaps you could be the "first" to get an Elfi "B" and then relate to we Elfi enthusiasts how the new plane performs. I understand the motor mount arrangement allows the buyer to install his own choice of motor, probably a brushless. I have yet to get a "B" model. I would prefer the Q aileron version. Would be interesting to see the difference in the plane's aerobatic performance with the longer ailerons (when compared to the ailerons on the original Elfi with ailerons).

Should you contact FVK, ask about a group purchase. Perhaps we can get a better price on a package of 4 or 5 Elfi "B"s.

RD

PS: It was in 2000, if I recall correctly, I purchased my first Elfi!
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 15, 2006, 10:53 PM
Atlanta,GA
Joined Jan 2001
152 Posts
..I ordered the Elfi B (no aileron) from FVK a few days ago...should be here by airpost sometime later next week. I'm gonna try it with a hacker A20-26m and a ThunderPower 3s 1320.

we should organize an Elfi gathering somewhere between SC and ATL....

chris
wamdue is offline Find More Posts by wamdue
Old Sep 15, 2006, 11:39 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,554 Posts
Wamdue:

Great going! Glad to hear you will have the latest Elfi to evaluate. If possible, be sure to get some pictures of it. I am interested in seeing any changes made to the wing design, also the motor mount arrangement.

Possibly you could advise, in a PM, what the cost of the plane is or was. I may well be ordering in the next few months. Did you order directly from FVK via their website?

I am not familiar with the Hacker A20-26M, is this an outrunner? If it is similar to the PJS 500 or 550 series, you will have more than sufficient power for your Elfi. A 3S1P 1320 Lipo will also work great. I am using a Thunder Power 1320 3S1P ProLite pack, just ordered and received three more packs.

Thanks for posting.

RD
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 15, 2007, 01:33 AM
Merced, CA
Joined Aug 2002
4 Posts
Elfi Aileron Servo Mounting

I have an original Elfi with ailerons that I got quite a few years ago but never assembled. I would like to get it going, but I need some advice on the servo to use for the ailerons, and some idea on how it is mounted and connected to the ailieron cables. Any chance someone could post a photo of their aileron servo installation as a guide?
rlcheek is offline Find More Posts by rlcheek
Old Sep 15, 2007, 07:35 AM
USA, NY, Jamestown
Joined Jun 2000
2,910 Posts
If I remember correctly I used an HS-55 on its side. I put a EZ servo connectors on the arm and put both servo wires through the connector from opposite sides. Then adjust the ailerons and tighten the EZ connector set screw.

Its been a while since I have looked at the wing and its in a pile of boxes from a move. If my description isn't adequate or just sounds incorrect -and- if no one else chimes in with a picture let me know and I will dig out the wing and snap a picture.
JoeR is offline Find More Posts by JoeR
Old Sep 15, 2007, 04:59 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,554 Posts
Elfi's !!

OK, so I am smitten with this plane. They don't call me Elfi Flyer for nothing.

An HS-55 servo will work fine. If possible, lube the bowden wire (cable) with a light drop or two of machine oil, slide the wire back and forth to distribute the lube. I used a single EZ servo connector, best way to connect both wires from the ailerons. Also, allows for some "reflex" and/or aileron differential when using a simple 4 channel transmitter.

The secret to nice tight aileron rolls is to start with rudder and follow almost immediately with aileron input. Then at near completion of the roll, got to neutral rudder and finish with ailerons only.

205 flights on Elfi #2, not that many considering the model started flying in 2001. However, it competes with 14 other planes in the fleet, two of which are Elfi #1 and Elfi #3.

Yeah, the avatar says it all!!

RD
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 19, 2007, 10:27 PM
Merced, CA
Joined Aug 2002
4 Posts
Elfi Ailerons

Many thanks for the pics of servo mounting in the wing - very helpful. I have an AXI 2208/20 that I plan to stick on it in place of the original (and inexpensive to a fault) 280 gear & megaprop. I have to admit that I had not developed much interest in getting the Elfi geared up and flying until I came upon this thread. I am happy for the inspiration and look forward to first flights in the next week. How well does the Elfi handle wind?
Old Sep 19, 2007, 10:49 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlcheek
I have an AXI 2208/20 that I plan to stick on it in place of the original (and inexpensive to a fault) 280 gear & megaprop. I have to admit that I had not developed much interest in getting the Elfi geared up and flying until I came upon this thread. I am happy for the inspiration and look forward to first flights in the next week. How well does the Elfi handle wind?
The Elfi does amazing well in the wind. The non-aileron version would probably be better, less response to turns, sometimes a helpful trait in windy conditions, I believe. Just had Elfi #3 (non-aileron) up this weekend in 10-18 mph winds and had no problems. Of course, this would never have been the case with the stock 280 geared power train.

I would be very interested in seeing some photos of your brushless motor installation. I found the tube adapter worked very well with the PJS motors I am using on all three Elfi's. Other than the external wiring arrangement, the conversion has been very easy.

Let me know if I can be of any further assistance with your Elfi. It remains one of my favorite planes, as you can see from both the avatar and this blog!!

RD
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 19, 2007, 11:33 PM
Merced, CA
Joined Aug 2002
4 Posts
Elfi Brushless mount..

I've looked at Hobby Lobby for the tube adapter, but can't find it listed. I do remember seeing it in the past. Have you seen this type mount listed at any other suppliers?
Old Sep 20, 2007, 11:00 AM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,554 Posts
Quote:
I've looked at Hobby Lobby for the tube adapter, but can't find it listed. I do remember seeing it in the past. Have you seen this type mount listed at any other suppliers?
Apparently, H/L no longer has this part. I called them this morning, left a message requesting they check "unused inventory" and see if any of these adapter are laying around. I have never tried to source them from any place else, looks like I will have to start researching. The adapter is for a 10mm tube and will also fit brushless outrunners that have the 10mm shaft on the backside of the motor. PJS motors had this, there are probably others. Another Elfi enthusiast mounted a brushless motor via a different method. I'll see if I have any photos of that, if not, possible an email link so you can contact him directly.

RD

Edit: OK, located some pics and a contact for info on mounting a brushless outrunner without using the aluminum PJS001 adapter:

Attn: Kip

Advise him you got his website address from me. Photo's below are of his plane.

Note that the motor shown in the photos below is an Uberall Nippy Black B/L outrunner, very likely the 1210/103. It's available from H/L, as their UBR1210 Uberall. This motor is the same dimension (diameter, length) as the PJS500 I use on Elfi #1. However, it is 2.14 Oz, 12 Amp versus 1.76 Oz. 14 amp for the PJS. Naturally, you would need a brushless speed controller for use with a brushless motor.

Hope this will be of help.

RD
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Doug Sipprell; Sep 20, 2007 at 11:32 AM.
Old Sep 23, 2007, 11:55 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,554 Posts
Quote:
Here you go. Came across this possible supplier, and BP is a good supplier:

http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...69&pid=V847725

Hope this helps.

RD
RCG Plus Member