HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Doug Sipprell, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 16, 2006, 10:34 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,548 Posts
Discussion
Calling all Elfi's

Always interested in hearing from others who might be flying this plane. I have three of them, all of which are flying.

They don't call me Elfi Flyer for nothing!!

RD

Update, 07/2012:

Yup, another Elfi added to the fleet. This one was donated by someone who wanted a good home for his Elfi, which had been damaged. Elfi #4 was given a brushless upgrade, similar to the other Elfi's. #4 now flys very quick, and has a ton of power on tap. Elfi's will always remain my favorite plane. If you are an Elfi fan, please keep in touch!!

Thanks

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Doug Sipprell; Jul 24, 2012 at 07:31 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 17, 2006, 04:55 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Nov 2005
86 Posts
So, where do you get them???

Barf
Puke Master is offline Find More Posts by Puke Master
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 20, 2006, 07:04 PM
EXPERIMENTAL
Atlanta
Joined Nov 2002
1,568 Posts
Doug, I still have one flying and another in the box. I guess that the Elfi II never made it to the States, heh?

Kip
n111kx is offline Find More Posts by n111kx
Old Mar 20, 2006, 07:41 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,548 Posts
Kip:

From what I understand, Elfi II was to be marketed direct from the distributor in Germany, the plane itself probably being built in the Czech Republic. I would have to check my notes on that. Ostensibly, a few have made it over the pond. I have yet to get one, might do it just to add to the collection and see the improvements.

I have the three Elfi's shown above flying. Two more in the box, one a non-aileron and one an aileron version. I wanted to keep Elfi 3 as retro, but flying a speed 280 plane on a 2S1P LiPoly leaves alot to be desired in the power department. A 3S1P will smoke the motor for sure. Also, never realized how inefficient the original 3-bladed prop is. However, I do manage to get flights in on #3. The PJS B/L motors on Elfi's #1 & #2 do a real fine job, especially on 3S1P 1500 packs.

thanks for your note. Keep in touch. Nice to know you are still flying your Elfi.

RD
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Old Mar 20, 2006, 08:18 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,548 Posts
Elfi B

For those of you who are Elfi enthusiasts, here again is the information on the latest Elfi, known as Elfi B. If anyone out there has this version of the Elfi, please let me know.

"Elfi B
The Elfi B is fun sized Park flyer styled on an Ultra-light aircraft. The low flying weight and slow flying speed ensure a realistic flight performance.

The less experienced pilot will appreciate the well balanced easy handling of the model whilst the more experienced plot will want to explore the extraordinary agility of the model by performing the tightest of manoeuvres in the smallest of spaces, making the Elfi B a fantastic all-round fun machine.

The one-piece built up wing is covered in transparent Oracover.
The GRP and Carbon fibre fuselage has the motor mount fitted and the wing retaining holes drilled and tapped. The tailplane and fin are covered and the control surfaces cut and hinged. An Accessory pack and full instructions are included in the kit ensuring quick and easy completion of the model.

The model is delivered without motor and prop.

Optional Aileron "

Homepage: www.fvk.de
Technical questions should be addressed to:-
Brian Anderson Tel: **44 191 3887649
e-mail: Technical questions

RD
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 22, 2006, 07:30 PM
Go Forward, but Remember
Pawling NY
Joined Oct 2002
944 Posts
I have an Elfi again

Hey Doug,

So what brushless should I power this one with? I'm thinking a small outrunner...

Cheers,

Bob
reills is offline Find More Posts by reills
Old Jun 22, 2006, 08:08 PM
EXPERIMENTAL
Atlanta
Joined Nov 2002
1,568 Posts
Bob, I have a Nippy on the nose. It sips the juice and I can fly 45 minutes on a TP 1320 3 cell with GREAT power...

Kip (the other Elfi guy)
Old Jun 22, 2006, 08:55 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,548 Posts
Brushless Elfi's

Bob, Kip:

I continue to have good luck with PJS Brushless Motors, from Hobby Lobby, as installed now on all three (3 !) of my Elfies.

Elfi #1: PJS 3D 500
Elfi #2: PJS 3D 550R
Elfi #3: PJS 3D 550

I was concerned about how I would mount the motor on the 10mm carbon fiber tube of the Elfi. Hobby Lobby has an aluminum sleeve fitting that allows a PJS or other brushless motor that has a shaft mount to be installed directly on the carbon tube of the model. So, I used that mounting method, routing the three wires parallel to the tube and then into the fuselage thru a slot cut into the fuselage.

Performance has been good, using either 8x6 or 9x6 APC props. I use a Kokam 1500 3S1P on Elfi #1, a TP 2000 ProLite 3S1P on Elfi #2, and a TP 1320 3S1P ProLite on Elfi 3#. Yes, I can use the 1320 pack on all three planes if I so choose. 15-18 minute flights the norm, and I do NOT pull the packs down to low voltage cutoff.

Elfi Power!!

RD
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 02, 2006, 10:09 PM
EXPERIMENTAL
Atlanta
Joined Nov 2002
1,568 Posts
Elfi flying

Doug, all.
I got my new Elfi at the field together with my old one that I donated to a club member. The old one has seen many hours in the air and many crashes to boot. It has lot's of battle scars but lot's of stories to tell if it could. The new one has only 3 flights on it and is in mint condition. We flew formation and even had a bit of contact at one point! Hope that you like the pics...
Kip
Old Jul 02, 2006, 10:39 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,548 Posts
OK, you have me totally confugeled. Is your new Elfi the latest Elfi B or basically a new original Elfi? The picture of Elfi B, provided by the mfgr, showed a two color scheme for the wing. Also, there is supposed to be some change in the motor mount arrangement, the model now being supplied w/o a motor. Could you please clarify? The other Elfi, with the red nose and red wheel(s) appears to have a fair amount of milage on it!

I had Elfi #2 up today, will be flying Elfi #3 tomorrow (now that it is repaired).

RD
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Doug Sipprell; Aug 10, 2006 at 12:11 PM.
Old Jul 03, 2006, 08:33 AM
EXPERIMENTAL
Atlanta
Joined Nov 2002
1,568 Posts
Doug, both Elfi's were bought around the same time about 4 years ago. I had one in the box to build in the future and I decided to build it. I would like to keep it in good condition so I don't fly it often. The old one is my first and original Elfi. It was basically a scrap heap after a crash so I gave it to a club member and that is what he came up with. Hey, it flies!
Kip
Old Jul 03, 2006, 08:19 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,548 Posts
Well, I guess I will have to contact the Elfi factory and get an Elfi B on order, just to fill out Elfi fleet. Had Elfi #3 up today, it flys very well on the PJS 3D 550 motor, with 3S1P TP 1320 ProLite pack.

Elfi's forever!!

RD
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 10, 2006, 08:16 AM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,548 Posts
Elfi B Order Info

Here is as synopsis of the information I have on hand concerning the status of and the ordering procedure for the Elfi B. This information was supplied to me by Brian Anderson, the UK tech service and sale rep for FVK. I thank him for the information, hopefully it will be of interest and help to those interested in the latest version of the Elfi. Apparently, you can get the aileron version of the plane with a single servo linkage, as was the case with the original "Elfi with ailerons", or you can get the plane with a dual servo arrangement for the aileron version of the plane. The dual aileron servo arrangement IMHO is the better way to go.

Info as follows:

1.) The Elfi didn't go out of production, FVK stopped dealing with NES.

2.) The Elfi is available direct from FVK in Germany. Contact FVK via their
website. http://www.fvk.de/Englisch/Elfi%20B.html
Pricing is in Euros - not US $.

3.) The "B" version of the Elfi was introduced to take the modern breed of
brushless outer runners. The Aileron version is available in two
different (configurations):

a.) Single, centrally mounted servo with ailerons actuated via bowden
wires.
b.) Two servos, one for each aileron.

The Elfi - B has the single central servo, same as the original
(aileron version) Elfi.

The Elfi - Q has a separate servo which is directly linked to each of the
ailerons.

The model will not be supplied with a motor drive. This (allows) the
customer to (use) their choice of drive unit.

4.) At the moment FVK do not have any agents in the USA, It is probably
cheaper to purchase directly from FVK in Germany than from a USA
agent. The website price would be reduced by approximately 15% or
16%, as the German Tax would be removed for Non European residents

5.) The OLD Colors could be specially ordered, delivery would take a little
longer.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Doug Sipprell; Aug 10, 2006 at 11:53 AM.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 11:33 AM
Go Forward, but Remember
Pawling NY
Joined Oct 2002
944 Posts
Great work Doug! So the Elfi didn't go out of sale, it went out of Sal.

I just looked at the FVK website for the Elfi B. The photo is of the "Q" varient.
reills is offline Find More Posts by reills
Old Aug 10, 2006, 11:59 AM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reills
Great work Doug! So the Elfi didn't go out of sale, it went out of Sal.
I just looked at the FVK website for the Elfi B. The photo is of the "Q" varient.
LOL, yes, it appears Sal and FVK had an issue or two. The Elfi was also sold thu at least two other distributorships, I bought the last remaining aileron version from the firm in Texas when word got out of the "demise" of the Elfi. I believe it accurate to say the ONLY way to get one now is via the website you were able to pull up. Yes, the picture shows the "Q" version. You also can get the plane less ailerons, as I understand it. The original non-aileron version, of which I have two, flys extremely well and you can do great wingovers with it, provide you dial in enough rudder and elevator. If anything, the non-aileron version seems to do better at thermaling and high altitude sailplane type flying than the aileron version, even though I have had both versions WAAAY up there, in one instance approaching 1000 feet.

Are you getting the Elfi itch again??

RD
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Doug Sipprell; Aug 10, 2006 at 12:13 PM.