SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 16, 2006, 09:20 PM
North Plains, OR
Joined Nov 2003
491 Posts
Discussion
open question regarding control surface size on new kits

Do you think it would be a mistake for GWS to design the molds of future airframes with out mold lines for ailerons, elevators and rudders? That way people could cut their own elevator and ailerons for planes such as the Formosa II. No more hassle and weight gain of filling in control surface mold lines to resize the control surfaces.

Or would this just be too confusing for the average GWS kit builder?

How about the pre-painted warbirds coming with molded control surfaces and the unpainted slope versions coming with un-molded/uncut control surfaces?

Just an idea? Probably not enough people out there to take advantage of it.
Turbo442 is offline Find More Posts by Turbo442
Last edited by Turbo442; Mar 16, 2006 at 09:50 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 16, 2006, 09:53 PM
ElectriGlo Pilot
Ashburn, Virginia, United States
Joined Dec 2003
878 Posts
I can see where you're coming from as I had to fill in and expand my Formosa 1 ailerons and the F2's were just right! I think it would be too much hassle for the average joe flyer though...
Trogdor is offline Find More Posts by Trogdor
Old Mar 16, 2006, 09:58 PM
Excellence is Expected
Aurora, Colorado
Joined Nov 2005
3,736 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo442
Do you think it would be a mistake for GWS to design the molds of future airframes with out mold lines for ailerons, elevators and rudders? That way people could cut their own elevator and ailerons for planes such as the Formosa II. No more hassle and weight gain of filling in control surface mold lines to resize the control surfaces.

Or would this just be too confusing for the average GWS kit builder?

How about the pre-painted warbirds coming with molded control surfaces and the unpainted slope versions coming with un-molded/uncut control surfaces?

Just an idea? Probably not enough people out there to take advantage of it.
I wish they would, it is quite a bit of work to make them fit well with the oversized guides for the control surfaces. It also reduces performance: having big gaps in the control surfaces. They would still need some way of making easy to cut out the parts square, perhaps a template. I would just as soon take a measurement and cut them out with a razor saw; however, not everyone is competent enough to do this.
MakMov is offline Find More Posts by MakMov