HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by P. Tritle, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 30, 2006, 05:08 AM
North East England
Joined Feb 2004
3,181 Posts
A womans's handbag probably contains the answer to every modelling need (some must even have a workbench in there too, judging by the size of them...)

I used to use one of my mother's scent sprays - the old-fashioned ones with the 'squeezy bulb' - to water-shrink tissue. Thank goodness the dope took away the smell of the perfume residue though; never could get rid of the smell, no matter how many times I washed the bottle out! If you ever see one in a junk shop, buy it - they give a really fine misty spray.

Steve
Redbaron25 is offline Find More Posts by Redbaron25
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 30, 2006, 09:27 PM
It must have a machinegun
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Sep 2004
1,262 Posts
Has anyone else done this?
Its for those times when you realise you should have painted the inside of a part before you glued it on.
Scaledown is offline Find More Posts by Scaledown
Old Mar 31, 2006, 01:18 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,546 Posts
LOL, yeah!
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Mar 31, 2006, 06:07 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,463 Posts
Scaledown, I did that once -- but not on purpose. Now I wish I'd kept it. Will definitely have to do it again, for the Taylorcraft project. Great idea, thanks!
PAT
P. Tritle is offline Find More Posts by P. Tritle
Old Mar 31, 2006, 07:19 PM
I broke it
USA, NC, Clayton
Joined Feb 2001
5,718 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by matwiyj
In the burglar alarm industry that is called a "wet noodle". The ball-link chain is dropped into a hole and a small magnet on the end of a flexible stick is inserted into another hole and pulls the chain through. Works great!

Jarod Matwy
Winnipeg, Canada

You can also sometimes use a vacuum cleaner and a piece of string, esp in tubes or conduit. Vac at one end, feed the string in the other. The string will find its way to the vacuum nozzle, then use it to pull wire back thru. Even works uphill

One of the most important tools is the creative mind that most modelers possess....
David Hogue is offline Find More Posts by David Hogue
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 31, 2006, 08:30 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,546 Posts
A CHEAP modeller ....
Old Apr 09, 2006, 11:52 AM
USA, CA, Selma
Joined Sep 2004
394 Posts
For getting rid of bubbles when layering transparent iron on covering, the very light ones (Lite Film etc seem to pick up more bubbles than the others), use the smallest hypodermic needle you can find (usually 30ga.). They are very sharp and make a much smaller hole than a pin or Exacto blade and are almost invisible when ironed down.

Also if you lift up the covering just ahead of the iron with a small sheet of paper or thin plywood and work slowly you won't trap as many bubbles. Use just enough heat to stick the covering and after it is all down turn up the heat and go over it again.

The fuselage and wing logo on the Clipper and the wing logo on the Fling are layered Light Film.
Oian is offline Find More Posts by Oian
Old Apr 09, 2006, 12:20 PM
I even seen a house fly!
Montreal!
Joined Oct 2003
2,676 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by portablevcb
A CHEAP modeller ....
We prefer the term "less expensive"! LOL ^_^

Kitty
LedKitty is offline Find More Posts by LedKitty
Old Apr 09, 2006, 01:57 PM
Erk
All thumbs, no scents
Vallejo CA
Joined Nov 2005
597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Scully
Light up a gas burner, one used for plumbing - a wide flame turned down real low. Grab a cotton bud holding it with hands at both cotton ends, dunk into flame for a second or so, spinning it in you fingers, remove from flame and pull, the bud if heated right will stretch apart giving a thin tube, hold for a few seconds to cool.
I do the same thing with teflon tubing I bought at an electronics supply house. It's just the right size unstretched to fit the tip of a CA bottle. Even so, sometimes thin CA is still too thin!

Erik
Erk is offline Find More Posts by Erk
Old Apr 10, 2006, 05:55 PM
Sam Talley
Nashville, TN
Joined May 2003
299 Posts
Tool Caddy

It's too cold to work in the garage during the winter (it's unheated) as epoxy does not flow well at 40 degrees F. I moved my building board (2X2 ft 3/4 in plywood board covered with two layers of 1/8 in cork) into the laundry room.

The problem was tools. My board kept being cluttered with tools or the top of the washer was, and I had to move everything to wash a load of clothes. My solution? A homemade tool caddy.

(Edit) FWIW, the caddy is just four panels of 1/2 in Styrofoam (some really nice close-grained stuff from Dow) hot-glued together with a base glued inside the bottom and another panel glued inside the top, but pushed down several inches to allow items to be placed on top. All of this is hot-glued to a 12-inch turntable I purchased at Lowe's.
Ranger13 is offline Find More Posts by Ranger13
Last edited by Ranger13; Apr 10, 2006 at 06:20 PM.
Old Apr 10, 2006, 06:07 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,546 Posts
Very nice, and don't forget the balsa/wire/covering storage rack on the wall too. Both great use of inexpensive materials.

'Less expensive' is what I use when trying to sell one of my kits. 'Cheap' is me

charlie
Old Dec 15, 2007, 06:53 PM
Check your six
New Jersey
Joined Sep 2002
1,240 Posts
Packing blocks

I use EPP blocks of all different sizes (used as packing material to keep objects from moving during shipping) to stick my frequently used knives and pointed tools into. I use doubled sided tape and stick it to a section of my work bench that's out of the way. When it gets worn out, chuck it into the trash and grab another. If you check you local food store or mall cardboard bin, you can find lots of them. Martin
martys is offline Find More Posts by martys
Old Dec 16, 2007, 01:28 AM
Suspended Account
Grove City, PA
Joined Sep 2007
955 Posts
High precision thrust meter:
Bill Covert is offline Find More Posts by Bill Covert
Old Dec 16, 2007, 12:00 PM
United States, NJ, Browns Mills
Joined May 2005
1,812 Posts
I can't post the entire article here, so here are two links to articles on our club's web site:
First half of Bill Bowne's article:
Second half of the article

CD
Captain Dunsel is online now Find More Posts by Captain Dunsel
Last edited by Captain Dunsel; Dec 16, 2007 at 02:04 PM.
Old Dec 16, 2007, 07:54 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,474 Posts
Add a small length of silicone tubing (fuel line if you fly glow...some of you never had that pleasure) to the end of your favorite ball driver. Slide the silicone over the bolt head while it is on the driver

The silicone keeps the socket bolt snugly in place against the ball driver for insertion anywhere your fingers will not reach..deep into a fuselage for instance....and the bolt will not fall off.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel