HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by P. Tritle, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 21, 2006, 02:33 AM
Keep off the Grass!!
Cardiff Wales UK
Joined Jun 2003
1,681 Posts
One more for the Eggbox!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaledown
This is my home made paint viscosity gauge for airbrushing. Its like a funnel with a long handle, made from brass shim. Its just small enough to fit in the neck of the paint bottle. You dip it into the paint, lift it up and count how many seconds it takes to drain. It takes all the guesswork out of thinning the paint. You can even use it to stir in the thinner.
That's an innovative one, Scaledown. Sort of tool that could be made from all types of little closed-end tube things.

One more for my Asda Free Range portable Paintshop

Ade
Adrian Britton is offline Find More Posts by Adrian Britton
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 21, 2006, 07:27 AM
Trondheim, Norway
Joined Jun 2003
2,808 Posts
CG stand

Money can actually buy these, but you can just as easily make them yourself as the main ingredient, gravity, is free. The CG stand is simply two pencils epoxied into scrap wooden blocks at a slight angle. Even better with two wedge shaped erasers at the back.

OK - we can always argue if gravity really is 'free', but that was not my point

Thomas
thomanie is offline Find More Posts by thomanie
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 21, 2006, 10:51 AM
North East England
Joined Feb 2004
3,181 Posts
Gravity may be 'free' Thomas - but some of our models have paid a high price for it at one time or another!

Steve
Redbaron25 is offline Find More Posts by Redbaron25
Old Mar 21, 2006, 11:40 AM
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined Jan 2002
1,271 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomanie
Money can actually buy these, but you can just as easily make them yourself as the main ingredient, gravity, is free. The CG stand is simply two pencils epoxied into scrap wooden blocks at a slight angle. Even better with two wedge shaped erasers at the back.

OK - we can always argue if gravity really is 'free', but that was not my point

Thomas
Is there a reason they should be at 'a slight angle' ?
-Mike
FlyByMike is offline Find More Posts by FlyByMike
Old Mar 21, 2006, 11:55 AM
Trondheim, Norway
Joined Jun 2003
2,808 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyByMike
Is there a reason they should be at 'a slight angle' ?
-Mike
You mean other than looks?

Made them using the TLAR method. Seen them done by others where they stand upright. Mine are just a tad bit "springy" due to the slight angle.
If mounting upright, the model would balance on the *face* of the eraser. Tilting them back, balances the model on a *point* of the circumerence of the eraser.

Thomas
thomanie is offline Find More Posts by thomanie
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by thomanie; Mar 21, 2006 at 12:00 PM.
Old Mar 21, 2006, 12:40 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,929 Posts
Hey, I actually got that when I saw the picture! And, springy is good! Let's you know when you build too heavy

When I did mine I mounted them vertical and shaped the erasers to an edge. Also put both on a single 2x4 which made it less flexible.

Then, of course, I started building biplanes. Back to fingers. Maybe I'll make some laser cut ply parts to balance bipes.

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Mar 21, 2006, 03:29 PM
Joined Jan 2006
65 Posts
This is my home made paint viscosity gauge for airbrushing. Its like a funnel with a long handle, made from brass shim. Its just small enough to fit in the neck of the paint bottle. You dip it into the paint, lift it up and count how many seconds it takes to drain. It takes all the guesswork out of thinning the paint. You can even use it to stir in the thinner.
If anyone care they are known as Zahn cups ...
cosmic1 is offline Find More Posts by cosmic1
Old Mar 21, 2006, 05:24 PM
Valencia, CA
Joined Oct 2002
3,728 Posts
Regarding the "Zahn cup] (viscosity measuring device) -- Is there a table or guide for how long it should take to drain? Or do you just keep track of what worked in a previous application and create your own notes?

Pete G.
P_J_Glor is offline Find More Posts by P_J_Glor
Old Mar 21, 2006, 07:03 PM
It must have a machinegun
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Sep 2004
1,283 Posts
Well I didn't know it had been invented before. I suppose I'll have to withdraw my patent application.
The time depends on the size of the hole in the bottom. For mine, it needs to be 2 to 3 seconds depending on what needle I'm using.
Scaledown is offline Find More Posts by Scaledown
Old Mar 21, 2006, 07:58 PM
Single-task at best...
Telford, UK
Joined Feb 2000
7,508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaledown
Well I didn't know it had been invented before.
Actually, the motor manufacturers have been using viscosity cups for decades to check the viscosity of paint prior to spraying on to car bodies.

http://www.visco.co.za/html/products...ford-info.html

tim
tim hooper is offline Find More Posts by tim hooper
Old Mar 21, 2006, 08:02 PM
New Zealand, Otago, Harwood
Joined Sep 2004
2,406 Posts
I used to work as lab tech in the early 60's for a marine paint manufacturer and part of my job was to ensure the mix was the correct viscosity before packaging. I thought they were called a Krepp cup or something similar.
Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by Kiwi
Old Mar 22, 2006, 12:11 AM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,929 Posts
We used them in measuring viscosity of lubricating fluids and paints in the production of automotive wire as well.

There are tables for the factory produced versions. Never knew there was a name for one, but, in wide use. I do like the idea of one small enough to fit within the jar of model paints though.
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Mar 22, 2006, 03:31 AM
northern NSW
Joined Mar 2005
32 Posts
well done

Well, I've just read 5 pages of great, and cheap, ideas. Normally I'd take my hat off to you guys but you'd probably find a modelling use for it if I did. Seriously though, what is meant by making this topic a "sticky"?
hyphen is offline Find More Posts by hyphen
Old Mar 22, 2006, 04:22 AM
New Zealand, Otago, Harwood
Joined Sep 2004
2,406 Posts
Here's another idea I saw somewhere using a couple of cheap adjustable squares (mine are plastic on a light ally ruler.) Just the thing for ensuring that fuselage sides are square.

A "sticky" topic is one that always stays at the top of the page and doesn't end up getting buried amongst all the other topics.
Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by Kiwi
Old Mar 22, 2006, 03:40 PM
Seattle, WA
Joined Aug 2004
27 Posts
While not a tool...just a quick one about cotter pins for pull-pull systems. From someone else here on RC Groups, can't remember who. The small cotter pins have a tendency bend when the locking screw is tightened, making future adjustments kinda difficult. Try using fishhooks, "straight eye worm style" cut off at the bend. I find 2/0 hooks fit the micro connectors great!

Rich
richkn is offline Find More Posts by richkn