HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by P. Tritle, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 18, 2006, 08:06 AM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,802 Posts
Checkout the wooden coffee stirrers in McDonalds restaurants in the UK at the moment, they make excellent epoxy glue mixing sticks! Well I have have put enough money their way over the years!
Gary Binnie is offline Find More Posts by Gary Binnie
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 18, 2006, 08:21 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,463 Posts
This falls into the category of "tools that money already bought" , but don't forget those plastic cups and trays that pudding, fruit, and even whole meals come in. They make terrific mixing cups and parts trays, and are never "wasted", because they would have been thrown out anyway!
PAT
P. Tritle is offline Find More Posts by P. Tritle
Old Mar 18, 2006, 09:27 AM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,802 Posts
And metal biscuit tins of course! I still have quite a few tobacco tins that my dad used to keep all sorts of things in and they double as 'adjustable' dihedral props at times.
Old Mar 18, 2006, 09:41 AM
Joined Aug 2000
3,918 Posts
A pity that 35mm is going down the tubes. Fuji film canisters make great mixing cups for finishing resin. A strip of masking tape with pencil graduations lets you get the proportions accurate.
Gordon is offline Find More Posts by Gordon
Old Mar 18, 2006, 10:13 AM
FSR
Rewired Member
Woodstock, GA
Joined Apr 2001
85 Posts
Hinge Slotting Tool

Pat - Thank you! I normally dread cutting hinge slots with a #11 knife but your tool idea made it a breeze. I didn't have any thin brass stock, nor a usable dowel, so I made this tool from a single edge razor blade and an Xacto handle. Single edge blades are brittle and easily broken with a pair of pliers (be darned careful when doing this). The result is the same as yours. Again - thanks! I also vote to sticky this thread.

Fred
FSR is offline Find More Posts by FSR
Old Mar 18, 2006, 12:11 PM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,802 Posts
And from your photo Gordon it looks like you forgot to mention your bank card resin spreader! Good things for applying gap filler also but they don't work very well afterwards!
Old Mar 18, 2006, 01:12 PM
North East England
Joined Feb 2004
3,181 Posts
Forgot my fiendish 'gusset-applicator' device...!

When I'm building tailplanes I hate having to manhandle those little corner gussets into place, so I use a short length of 3/16" sq balsa with a pin CA'd to the end. Just 'spear' the gusset, apply the glue and position it.

Steve
Redbaron25 is offline Find More Posts by Redbaron25
Old Mar 19, 2006, 02:52 AM
Keep off the Grass!!
Cardiff Wales UK
Joined Jun 2003
1,681 Posts
Hard-Boiled Humbrol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Tritle
This falls into the category of "tools that money already bought" , but don't forget those plastic cups and trays that pudding, fruit, and even whole meals come in. They make terrific mixing cups and parts trays, and are never "wasted", because they would have been thrown out anyway!
PAT
Absolutely, Pat. So sometimes its almost worth volunteering to tidy up

Long brushes in little tins fall over, ..don't they just

After the Fish 'n Chips last night, I noticed in the kitchen (that I avoid visiting too casually!) an idea.....

Well, you can mark one "Matt" or whatever - even glue the tins in. Keep them on a shelf or in a drawer etc etc...

Ade
Adrian Britton is offline Find More Posts by Adrian Britton
Old Mar 19, 2006, 10:15 AM
I broke it
USA, NC, Clayton
Joined Feb 2001
5,719 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMBRAD
Pat,

Thank you for sharing your secrets. You may make a plane builder out of me yet, instead of just a poor pilot.

Jody
Jody,

Being a poor pilot will make a plane builder out of you too!

Quote:
Forgot my fiendish 'gusset-applicator' device...!

When I'm building tailplanes I hate having to manhandle those little corner gussets into place, so I use a short length of 3/16" sq balsa with a pin CA'd to the end. Just 'spear' the gusset, apply the glue and position it.

Steve
Steve,

I just use my xacto knife to do the same thing

Later,
David
David Hogue is offline Find More Posts by David Hogue
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 19, 2006, 12:32 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,547 Posts
Just so everyone doesn't forget, the humble foam board for a variety of uses.

1) templates for bowed outline parts.

2) jigs for rigging wings, especially biplanes

3) airplane and boat stands

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Mar 19, 2006, 01:39 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,063 Posts
I have a chunk of foam that I keep all my building pins stuck in. Got tired of sticking myself trying to pick them out of a tray. At least with the foam block, you're grabbing the right end.

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
Old Mar 19, 2006, 03:47 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,547 Posts
Almost forgot about pink foam (1/2"). I use it to block up wingtips to set dihedral/washout. Also to prop up different parts during setup and gluing.

Also for setting dihedral/washout, small (1"x3") blocks of balsa of various thicknesses, 1/2", 1/4", 1/8" cover just about everything to set a wing. You can cut the blocks longer for larger chord wings, or, just make up a set for the TE and one for the LE.

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Mar 19, 2006, 04:14 PM
Just Keeping UP
United States, ID, Moyie Springs
Joined May 2004
1,746 Posts
Pin Holder

For holding my building pins, I use a magnetic paper clip cup.

Nick
nfhill is offline Find More Posts by nfhill
Old Mar 20, 2006, 06:24 AM
Sam Talley
Nashville, TN
Joined May 2003
299 Posts
Need to block up the wings for 57/64 inch dihedral (or some other amount that you can't find a small bottle or can of the correct height)?

I cut a rectangle of paper with the width equal to the dihedral height. From above, I would cut a strip of paper 11 X 57/64 from an 8 1/2 X 11 sheet.

Now roll the strip into a tube, tape, repeat for another tube, and block up the wings.

More of a technique than a tool, but it helps get the job done.
Ranger13 is offline Find More Posts by Ranger13
Last edited by Ranger13; Mar 20, 2006 at 08:48 AM.
Old Mar 20, 2006, 06:34 PM
It must have a machinegun
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Sep 2004
1,262 Posts
This is my home made paint viscosity gauge for airbrushing. Its like a funnel with a long handle, made from brass shim. Its just small enough to fit in the neck of the paint bottle. You dip it into the paint, lift it up and count how many seconds it takes to drain. It takes all the guesswork out of thinning the paint. You can even use it to stir in the thinner.
Scaledown is offline Find More Posts by Scaledown