HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by P. Tritle, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 17, 2006, 09:58 AM
North East England
Joined Feb 2004
3,181 Posts
Not so much a 'tool', but an accidental discovery; if you're printing out your own enlargements of plans and you only have one wing half, print it on really thin, cheap paper - this will let the plan show through easily on the other side for you to build the second wing. (I tend not to trust plans which show both panels anyway!)

Steve
Redbaron25 is offline Find More Posts by Redbaron25
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 17, 2006, 11:28 AM
Formerly of mcba fame
Luxembourg
Joined Apr 2001
3,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbaron25
Not so much a 'tool', but an accidental discovery; if you're printing out your own enlargements of plans and you only have one wing half, print it on really thin, cheap paper - this will let the plan show through easily on the other side for you to build the second wing. (I tend not to trust plans which show both panels anyway!)

Steve
...And if it still doesn't show through, rub the paper with something greasy/buttery or accidentally spill oil all over it. Suddenly you have translucent paper.

You guys should submit some of these ideas to those 'Hints and Tips' pages in the magazines. Some (like RCME) give really good prizes for the best ones.

Thanks for the great thread, and yes, it should be stickied.

Matthew
Matthew Allen is offline Find More Posts by Matthew Allen
Old Mar 17, 2006, 11:31 AM
Sam Talley
Nashville, TN
Joined May 2003
299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbaron25

Steve
A trick I learned from RCM is to rub cooking oil (EVOO not required) on the plans on the side without the printing. This makes the paper translucent and allows the lines to show through the paper. Go easy on the oil, not much is needed.
Ranger13 is offline Find More Posts by Ranger13
Old Mar 17, 2006, 01:12 PM
Farnborough, Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2005
171 Posts
Cyno tips.

Although not long in the modelling game (3yrs) I seem to use more and more cyano in builds. Getting it in the right place when access is tricky and applying small amounts especially the thin stuff is not easy. There are thin tubes available to buy, but these seem expensive, so here's an idea which is as 'cheal as chips'
Buy a box of PLASTIC shafted cotton buds (those things you use for cleaning out ears!) 300 over here cost under a 1. Light up a gas burner, one used for plumbing - a wide flame turned down real low. Grab a cotton bud holding it with hands at both cotton ends, dunk into flame for a second or so, spinning it in you fingers, remove from flame and pull, the bud if heated right will stretch apart giving a thin tube, hold for a few seconds to cool. Cut off both cotton ends, cut thinned part in the middle and you have two very fine cyano applicators. Connect to top of Zap or similar with a small piece of fuel tubing. With practice you can achieve incredibly thin applicators, and by varying the length of the fuel tube you can reach almost anywhere.
Pics below of finished items.
Marc.
Marc Scully is offline Find More Posts by Marc Scully
Old Mar 17, 2006, 03:33 PM
Joined Aug 2000
3,920 Posts
OK

You do have to buy this tool

Bob Partington came up with this great idea for feeding cables through difficult paths. Use a length of beaded bathtub chain. It flops down the most tortuous paths in wings and fuselages. Tape the cable to the end, and pull it through.

Gordon
Gordon is offline Find More Posts by Gordon
Old Mar 17, 2006, 04:27 PM
North East England
Joined Feb 2004
3,181 Posts
You don't have to buy that chain. Just make sure that next time you're invited to a party at someone's house, you're carrying a small pair of wire cutters...

Steve
Old Mar 17, 2006, 04:32 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,921 Posts
Ah Steve - youve got class mate
Pat Lynch is offline Find More Posts by Pat Lynch
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A Small Diversion From Annie
Old Mar 17, 2006, 06:01 PM
Just Keeping UP
United States, ID, Moyie Springs
Joined May 2004
1,773 Posts
Another CA Tip

Credit this to Demon-Leather (Bob): one can use Hypodermic needles as fine tips for CA. I got mine at my pharmacy for free. The tips screw off the syringe and on to the CA bottle. When it clogs, just burn it out with a small flame. I think Bob recommends 20 ga for thin CA. Let the needle cool before putting CA through it.

DO REMEMBER, however, that CA is very flamable!

Nick
nfhill is offline Find More Posts by nfhill
Old Mar 17, 2006, 11:12 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,512 Posts
Here's a Couple More

For starters, I'd like to thank all who responded for some great ideas -- it's what makes this forum so terrific.

First is a simple angle finder. It doesn't tell you what the angle is, but allows an angle to be transfered to another surface easily and accurately.

Next is an angle gauge for setting root rib angles where dihedral is involved. I have several in different angles made up for different angular applications.

And finally, you just can't have too many clamps! These are made up from arrowfhaft pushrod scrap and 1/4 ply. Drill the holes at an angle about 5 degrees of center, and about .015" oversize, and when the preasure is applied they'll bind up and hold things nice and tight.

PAT
P. Tritle is offline Find More Posts by P. Tritle
Old Mar 18, 2006, 01:59 AM
USA, CA, Selma
Joined Sep 2004
394 Posts
Another way to cut notches, this one doesn't require gluing the sandpaper to a piece of wood, and they last a lot longer:

Use layers of hack saw blade. Two layers is about 1/16", Pick the correct # of layers for the thickness you need.

CA a short length of balsa or spruce stick parallel to the cutting edge as a depth gauge.
Oian is offline Find More Posts by Oian
Old Mar 18, 2006, 02:21 AM
In my Blu heaven! near Lincoln NE
Joined Mar 2003
2,000 Posts
First off, Let's sticky this thread!

Second, I'll need another tool box for all my new tools I will be making!

Some of these I already have or knew about but others I surely wish I had known about before now. I could have been making my own CA applicators long ago!
Pat that angle finder I could have used, on many occasions when scaling up plans I found here or there. An angle is the same no matter what scale you happen to be working with. I don't want to tell you how many ways I have tried to duplicate an angle only to have it come out wrong once in place...Never again!

Robert
willin is offline Find More Posts by willin
Old Mar 18, 2006, 04:44 AM
New Zealand, Otago, Harwood
Joined Sep 2004
2,405 Posts
Another use for hacksaw blades is as straight edges for cutting balsa, use the back of the blade and the teeth grip the balsa just enough to stop it slipping and giving you a cut where you didn't want it..
Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by Kiwi
Old Mar 18, 2006, 08:02 AM
North East England
Joined Feb 2004
3,181 Posts
As Kiwi has mentioned straight edges, I use a length of aluminium carpet-retaining strip (the sort that you nail down in the doorway to stop the carpet edge catching) as a cutting tool for stripping balsa. I have a few of these in various lengths and they're dead straight. A bit of double-sided tape on the back will stop it slipping on the balsa sheet while you're cutting.

Also very useful for using as a guide when pinning down wings spars, to ensure they're straight.

Add it to your 'party souvenirs' list, along with the bath chain...might need a diversion though...

Steve
Last edited by Redbaron25; Mar 21, 2006 at 07:22 PM.
Old Mar 18, 2006, 08:02 AM
Rio Rancho NM
Joined Dec 2004
1,257 Posts
For taper reamers old fishing rods can be had at yardsales cheaply. Cut into sections. Cut a strip of sandpaper and spiral up the sections.

Also you don't need sandpaper for that or notch cutters. Loose grit is available. Simply attach via epoxy. Lasts longer than sandpaper.

Cheap like me? Use a whetstone and a little oil to freshen your Xacto/Excel/scalpel blades periodically before they are obviously dull & ready to replace.
scrubs
scrubs is offline Find More Posts by scrubs
Old Mar 18, 2006, 08:47 AM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,646 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oian
Another way to cut notches, this one doesn't require gluing the sandpaper to a piece of wood, and they last a lot longer:

Use layers of hack saw blade. Two layers is about 1/16", Pick the correct # of layers for the thickness you need.

CA a short length of balsa or spruce stick parallel to the cutting edge as a depth gauge.
Yep, that works really well as a makeshift spar slotter tool. If you use the two ends of a broken hacksaw blade you can even put a small bolt through the two fixing holes to hold the segments together.

Here's my boy using such a tool to slot the spars on his model.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...1&postcount=24
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer