HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by P. Tritle, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 12:49 PM
Turkey
Joined May 2002
2,179 Posts
I am using that on my latest model, and I am happy with the result. I applied light class cloth on the balsa using dope - no epoxy - on some (flatter) sections, and on that I used talcum/dope as sealer. The only minor trouble is that the dope expands or swells a bit when applying a new layer on top, so the glass weave shows a bit until it dries. Since this is a sealer that is not much of a problem - it will get sanded down.

Maybe using epoxy for the glass cloth is better due to this swelling problem.

Bulent
bmutlugil is offline Find More Posts by bmutlugil
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 03, 2011, 12:16 AM
Joined Nov 2005
11 Posts
Finding small parts on floor and a CA applicator

To find small parts on floor shine a flashlight across the floor, the darker the room the better, the parts will cast a shadow.

The CA applicator I made is a large sewing needle stuck point first into a 1/8" dowel handle. The end of the eye of the needle is cut off leaving two prongs, the prongs are used to pick up the CA and apply to area being glued, this works best when a very small area is to be glued. I pick up the CA by dipping the prongs in a small puddle of CA that has been placed on plastic lid.

Larry
cessna310b is offline Find More Posts by cessna310b
Old Jul 29, 2011, 08:21 PM
The Low-wing Super Cub
Houston, TX
Joined Sep 2007
595 Posts
Glue pot

It is difficult for me to discard anything that 'can be used for something'. I get fussed at for that.

I emptied a 3-One Oil bottle a few days ago and set it back thinking........

Well, I discovered a use for it.
grubbyjeans is offline Find More Posts by grubbyjeans
Old Sep 02, 2011, 11:56 AM
The Low-wing Super Cub
Houston, TX
Joined Sep 2007
595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by martys View Post
Here's one of the best tools you can have for scratch building or repairs. Well worth the money. Marty

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=93211
Just a link correction
Old Sep 02, 2011, 01:04 PM
More Motors, More Fun... :-)
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Jan 2008
700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grubbyjeans View Post
I prefer the Japanese made Micro-Mark table saw. Way more expensive then the $38 dollar Harbor Freight saw linked, but a very accurate, versatile, and precise saw. I can honestly say I could not live without it in my shop; I use it that much.

Nick

Micro Mark Saw
nioa is offline Find More Posts by nioa
Old Sep 02, 2011, 01:09 PM
South of Boston, Ma.
Joined Mar 2004
1,273 Posts
For $127.95 you can get Micro Mark's mini table saw like the one I bought.
It will do anything I need for modelling at less than half the cost.
Skyshark is offline Find More Posts by Skyshark
Old Sep 03, 2011, 11:12 AM
Norwood, CO
Joined Jul 2009
624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nioa View Post
I prefer the Japanese made Micro-Mark table saw. Way more expensive then the $38 dollar Harbor Freight saw linked, but a very accurate, versatile, and precise saw. I can honestly say I could not live without it in my shop; I use it that much.

Nick

Micro Mark Saw
This one too expensive for my taste, but just the tip about Micro-Mark and the link is invaluable.

Thanks!

Jackson
jaksno is offline Find More Posts by jaksno
Old Sep 03, 2011, 11:57 AM
Madison, WI
Joined Feb 2004
917 Posts
Grubbyjeans, Nice idea! I've seen this 3 n' 1 oil in stores. Would you use that for holding alphatic, Titebond type glues only? Do you find the glue develops a hard skin on the top? Thanks
Fast Freddy is offline Find More Posts by Fast Freddy
Old Sep 05, 2011, 11:21 AM
USA, MO, O'Fallon
Joined Dec 2003
2,088 Posts
I wound up with a jig saw rather than a table saw. With a couple of clamps and a 1 by 2 you can even make straight cuts! Very handy to be able to make circular cuts for airfoils and the like.
martimer is offline Find More Posts by martimer
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 05, 2011, 12:28 PM
The Low-wing Super Cub
Houston, TX
Joined Sep 2007
595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Freddy View Post
Grubbyjeans, Nice idea! I've seen this 3 n' 1 oil in stores. Would you use that for holding alphatic, Titebond type glues only? Do you find the glue develops a hard skin on the top? Thanks
I use Titebond in mine.

I haven't noticed any skinning. I adjusted the brush to hang just above the bottom, so there would be no distortion of the bristles, and glued it at that depth. The existing seal, and the glue around the brush block the glue from exposure to air.
Old Sep 05, 2011, 12:31 PM
Madison, WI
Joined Feb 2004
917 Posts
Thanks Grubby! I'll make the purchase and save the oil in a plastic prescription bottle, oil lasts forever.
Fast Freddy is offline Find More Posts by Fast Freddy
Old Sep 05, 2011, 12:32 PM
The Low-wing Super Cub
Houston, TX
Joined Sep 2007
595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by martimer View Post
I wound up with a jig saw rather than a table saw. With a couple of clamps and a 1 by 2 you can even make straight cuts! Very handy to be able to make circular cuts for airfoils and the like.
I picked up a small band saw at a pawn shop for $30.00 and grabbed a scroll saw from HF.
Old Sep 05, 2011, 02:11 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,929 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Freddy View Post
Thanks Grubby! I'll make the purchase and save the oil in a plastic prescription bottle, oil lasts forever.
Don't know if I posted it before...

For wood glue I get a small bottle and put a syringe needle on it, about 16 ga. Thin the glue about 1:4 ratio. The small area of the needle means the glue doesn't skin over.

Bottles and blunt tip needles from Small Parts Co. And the steel needles can be cleaned out by heating or with a 1/16 drill bit.
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Sep 28, 2011, 04:02 PM
Joined Nov 2009
3 Posts
Seen this bench circular saw? (and other mouth-watering tools...)
jakkesb is offline Find More Posts by jakkesb
Old Sep 28, 2011, 04:18 PM
The Low-wing Super Cub
Houston, TX
Joined Sep 2007
595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakkesb View Post
Seen this bench circular saw? (and other mouth-watering tools...)
Linky?