HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by P. Tritle, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Apr 23, 2011, 12:49 PM
Joined Mar 2011
114 Posts
I just couldn't resist... The rubber motor in the Guillow's kits, is really a tool for shaping balsa. And when all your clamps are in use (or storage...).
Skeletor1 is offline Find More Posts by Skeletor1
Last edited by Skeletor1; Apr 26, 2011 at 10:41 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 23, 2011, 12:58 PM
Joined Mar 2011
114 Posts
And this is a home-made wing alignment jig. 36"-10/24 all-thread, cut into 4-9" lengths. 16-nuts, 16-washers. 2'-1/2" x 2" poplar, 2-2' Hobby Lobby something or other. 1-Walmart TV tray and most importantly, landscapeing bricks to tame the wobble............

Oh yeah,,, I put acorn nuts on the bottom ends of the rods and stuck them to the table with double sided tape. Before I cover the wings, I think I will put some on the top as well... The holes are 1/4" to allow for angle changes. It took what seemed like hours to get it set up with the Robart incidence meters.

Maybe this one should go in the "You know your a RCRedneck when..." forum.
Last edited by Skeletor1; Apr 25, 2011 at 09:43 AM.
Old Apr 23, 2011, 05:40 PM
USA, NY, Amsterdam
Joined Jun 2007
1,230 Posts
A very impressive and easy to use jig for sure. Nice job.

Todd
Prowler901 is offline Find More Posts by Prowler901
Old Apr 24, 2011, 09:19 PM
Gary
USA, CT, Sandy Hook
Joined Dec 2009
793 Posts
I like that jig. Great job.
gklein is offline Find More Posts by gklein
Old Apr 25, 2011, 06:27 PM
Hey y'all... watch this!
Bellevue, WA
Joined Jan 2004
852 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeletor1 View Post
And this is a home-made wing alignment jig. 36"-10/24 all-thread, cut into 4-9" lengths. 16-nuts, 16-washers. 2'-1/2" x 2" poplar, 2-2' Hobby Lobby something or other. 1-Walmart TV tray and most importantly, landscapeing bricks to tame the wobble............

Oh yeah,,, I put acorn nuts on the bottom ends of the rods and stuck them to the table with double sided tape. Before I cover the wings, I think I will put some on the top as well... The holes are 1/4" to allow for angle changes. It took what seemed like hours to get it set up with the Robart incidence meters.

Maybe this one should go in the "You know your a RCRedneck when..." forum.
Correct me if I'm wrong but... don't you have to disassemble the jig to extract the finished wing assembly?
Rex A Lott is offline Find More Posts by Rex A Lott
Old Apr 25, 2011, 07:35 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,546 Posts
That's OK. I've built wing jigs before that had to be broken to get the wings out (out of foam core poster board).

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Apr 25, 2011, 08:52 PM
Joined Mar 2011
114 Posts
Yes. But, I only have to remove the top 4 nuts, washers and the 2 top wing supports, to get the plane out. I will break it down all the way this time because I think I will build a Grumman Goose next and I won't need it for that. It has proven invalueable for building the struts and aligning the wings. I am building a Guillow's Stearman. I made my own struts out of 1/64" ply. 4 interlocking lamanents. Every build thread I have read here, has said the plans don't match the plane where the "N" struts are concerned. I set the wings up in the jig so I wouldn't have to juggle everything. And, by drillng a .032" hole through the trailing edge and pinning the wings to the jig, everything is in the in same place, every time I do anything.

I have considered building one on the cantalever principal (picture a big "F"), where the plane could be removed without taking anything apart. But of course, that was after I had built this one. (hehehe) I can use the same hardware and wood for that if I ever build another Bipe. Thanks for your interest, James.
Last edited by Skeletor1; Apr 26, 2011 at 10:28 AM.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 02:19 AM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Sep 2007
1,332 Posts
Nice wing jig James !

Grumman Goose ??? Which one are you referring to ?
CaptAhab is offline Find More Posts by CaptAhab
Old Apr 27, 2011, 11:03 AM
Joined Mar 2011
114 Posts
The one in Microsoft Flight Simulator X. It flys great, very stable and some-what forgiving.
I have 2- Hacker ES-49 4900kv. motors that need a home. I'm looking for plans for a Grumman Goose. I think about 36" ws. I am not sure what scale would be right for these motors so any input is welcome.
I have a "Guillow's PT-17 build in Texas" thread going on in "Scale Electrics". Contact me there so we don't hijack this thread. Thanks for your interest, James
Old Apr 28, 2011, 02:40 PM
Warbird crazy!
United States, CA, San Mateo
Joined Sep 2004
3,727 Posts
Man, wish I'd seen that before I built my Rapide .

That is sweet!

John
new2rc is offline Find More Posts by new2rc
Old Apr 28, 2011, 09:57 PM
Joined Mar 2011
114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2rc View Post
Man, wish I'd seen that before I built my Rapide .

That is sweet!

John
My Stearman? thanks.

new 2 rc, There are now 2 brands of models I would rate as "Builder's Only Kits", Bud Nosen Models and now.....wait for it..... Guillow's conversions. Now that I have built both brands, ARFs and Foamies are looking real good,,,, no, wait, I didn't really say that, did I? Naw, I'm too much of a "do it my way" kinda person to trust ARFs mfg. quality. If you do get into kit building, Go slow, read all the threads you can. Especially for the Guillow's kits.
Welcome to your new addiction, James.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 10:02 PM
Joined Mar 2011
114 Posts
CaptAhab, I went through a lot of your Goose thread, BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!
James
Old Apr 30, 2011, 12:19 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Sep 2007
1,332 Posts
Thanks, I was hoping that was the kit you were going to build...
CaptAhab is offline Find More Posts by CaptAhab
Old Apr 30, 2011, 08:26 PM
Two left thumbs
Muncie, IN
Joined Sep 2006
4,230 Posts
Yeah, we need a few more ACME/Fly-2-Build Goose kits out there! And they're about 25% cheaper now than they used to be. Mine's about 75% done, but still don't have a proper space for finishing it.

Geoff
GeoffinIN is offline Find More Posts by GeoffinIN
Old May 08, 2011, 10:50 AM
What's 3D?
Australia, WA, Ellenbrook
Joined Feb 2008
3,316 Posts
speaking of water birds, from memory there were of Ivan's Solents that were near on ready for maiden along with your beautiful Goose! all were fantastic threads and top notch builds, hope they get completed and reported on!

Craig
trumps is offline Find More Posts by trumps