HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by P. Tritle, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 16, 2006, 01:54 PM
Keep off the Grass!!
Cardiff Wales UK
Joined Jun 2003
1,681 Posts
Roll it on with Cyano!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbaron25
Sometimes when using a standard sanding block, you damage delicate parts of the model, so spend a half hour making 'mini sanders' from offcuts of hard balsa or thin ply with sandpaper glued to them - square ones, long ones, any shape or size - they come in very handy. My most-used one is 1" square with a bit of hardwood CA'd to it as a grip - just been using it to round-off the edges of a fin/rudder ready for hinging.

Steve
I use "wet & dry" rather than sandpaper, wrapping it around pencils, marking pens etc, with med cyano... great for the wing fillets

Well started Pat!!

Ade
Adrian Britton is offline Find More Posts by Adrian Britton
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 16, 2006, 02:47 PM
Pontificating Member
Atlanta
Joined May 2003
4,297 Posts
Fantastic soldering jig Pat! I have used clothespins for a couple years now, and never thought of how to get them aligned and standing up easily. I have wedged and taped and stuck them in my vice, all to unsatisfactory result.

I also really like the Coaming cutter. Straightforward and effective.

Thanks so much for this thread.
I have a little thing for cutting foamy bevels that went around here on the threads about a year ago... Basically just a single edged razor blade screwed to a peice iof triangle stock so the blade sticks down about the thickness of the foam you are cutting. line it up with a ruler and drag the jig along the ruler. perfect straight cuts at a very usable angle. I'll look for mine and shoot a pic or find the old thread.
tone is offline Find More Posts by tone
Old Mar 16, 2006, 04:29 PM
Single-task at best...
Telford, UK
Joined Feb 2000
7,501 Posts
Pat,

Great thread!

I can only expand on your clothes peg idea by using one to hold 4mm connectors vertical whilst soldering on the battery cables.

Ooops! Nearly forgot this pic of the correct tools to use when tightening a propnut..........

tim
tim hooper is offline Find More Posts by tim hooper
Old Mar 16, 2006, 04:47 PM
Wisconsin
Joined Nov 2003
2,954 Posts
i like the soldering idea pat, i use a similar idea using a popsicle stick and 2 clothespins, then the clothespins hold down the wire flat om the popsicle stick while i solder away..
ZRS4 is offline Find More Posts by ZRS4
Old Mar 16, 2006, 05:01 PM
The Netherlands, ZH, Boskoop
Joined Mar 2001
1,150 Posts
Tim, better to push the male connector in a female one, to act as a heatsink and prevent the leaves losing their springiness. I prefer to clamp it directly in the vise for the same reason.
Now show us that specially prepared crowbar you use to block the S400 while tightening that propnut......

Max.
max z is offline Find More Posts by max z
Old Mar 16, 2006, 05:15 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
12,199 Posts
Plastic Sandwich Bags and C-Clips

Put that GWS gearbox in a plastic bag while removing the C-clip, the C-clip won't "de-materialize".

Attach a length of wire to the radio antenna when you are trying to pull it through the fuselage and out the tail.

You can easily make your own pull-pull connectors out of small cotter pins and Dubro e-z connectors and Kevlar thread. I install brass eyelets in thin ply sheet control horns so that the Kevlar won't saw into the ply.

A little CYA holds the tiny Phillips screw to your jewler's screwdriver while you attact the tiny servo arm to the servo.

I use my vise grips as a vise to hold Deans Ultra connectors while soldering wires to them.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Mar 16, 2006, 05:59 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,847 Posts
Excellent stuff.

This needs to be another Sticky!

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Mar 16, 2006, 07:07 PM
hul
Switzerland
Joined Mar 2003
2,115 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by max z
better to push the male connector in a female one, to act as a heatsink and prevent the leaves losing their springiness
I just take the leaves off the plug for soldering

Hans
hul is offline Find More Posts by hul
Old Mar 16, 2006, 07:56 PM
Blacksburg, VA 24060 USA
Joined Feb 2000
3,217 Posts
Gents,

The most vital tool that no one of us can do without is a head-full of smarts. The older I get, the more I realize I have much, much more to learn about how to do the right things the right way!

Jim R
JRuggiero is offline Find More Posts by JRuggiero
Old Mar 17, 2006, 12:08 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,513 Posts
Tim, If you would put a 3 foot hunk of used sewer pipe on that torque wrench you could make thae 150 foot lb. with far less effort!!!
PAT
P. Tritle is offline Find More Posts by P. Tritle
Old Mar 17, 2006, 12:11 AM
New Zealand, Otago, Harwood
Joined Sep 2004
2,405 Posts
Here's another variation on the triangular stock cutter. Can't remember where I originally saw it but it is good!
Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by Kiwi
Old Mar 17, 2006, 06:14 AM
The Netherlands, ZH, Boskoop
Joined Mar 2001
1,150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hul
I just take the leaves off the plug for soldering

Hans
Maybe I am using the wrong word. I meant the springy parts of the male plug that provide positive electrical contact to the female plug. Too much heat from soldering, and they become "heat treated", taking away the internal stresses but unfortunately also their springing quality, which will result in a poor electrical contact.

Max.
max z is offline Find More Posts by max z
Old Mar 17, 2006, 06:40 AM
Keep off the Grass!!
Cardiff Wales UK
Joined Jun 2003
1,681 Posts
Blown It!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Tritle
Tim, If you would put a 3 foot hunk of used sewer pipe on that torque wrench you could make thae 150 foot lb. with far less effort!!!
PAT
Why waste time and effort? A 1/2" drive air/impact tool can be adjusted to around 150 ft/lbs, and the spinner banged back on like an old hub-cap...

then there's always that old, cold chisel.....fits anything

-Ade (ex Slo-Fit Fitter)
Old Mar 17, 2006, 06:57 AM
Keep off the Grass!!
Cardiff Wales UK
Joined Jun 2003
1,681 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by portablevcb
Excellent stuff.

This needs to be another Sticky!

charlie
I'll second that, Charlie!
Old Mar 17, 2006, 07:40 AM
St.Petersburg, FL
Joined Feb 2004
1,392 Posts
A notch cutter can be made by gluing a piece of ply the thickness of the desired notch edge on to the back side of a piece of sandpaper. Trim the paper even with the edges of the wood and you can sand notches in trailing edges and formers in a heartbeat.
sp
sperry is offline Find More Posts by sperry