Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by P. Tritle, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 07:44 AM
Check your six
New Jersey
Joined Sep 2002
1,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man View Post
Small tap holder. I purchased and new 4-40 tap and when I got home I realized that it was too small for my holder. Then I saw a prop adaptor on my work bench. It was too small so I went thru my adaptors and found an adaptor that held it prefectly. I installed an old prop for the handle. Works like a charm.

David
Nice Idea, just make sure those blades on that prop aren't sharp! Marty
martys is offline Find More Posts by martys
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 29, 2010, 08:20 AM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,618 Posts
Just get a wood prop Cool idea
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Oct 03, 2010, 11:59 PM
Sydney Australia
Joined Mar 2005
897 Posts
Just two tools:

For a building jig I draw a line down the centre of the building board & use bricks to hold everything square & together.

I could never seem to get Robart hinge points lined up until I built this gadget.
Draw a hinge line with a straight edge on the trailing edge.
Push the locating pin into the trailing edge at the hinge line where you need a hinge.
Slide the jig over the locating pin & use normal pins to pin it to the trailing edge.
Remove the locating pin & drill the hole for the hinge (locating pin makes a pilot hole).

The jig has a brass tube in the centre to guide the drill.

John.
Boomerang1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomerang1
Old Nov 30, 2010, 08:05 AM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,030 Posts
My Master Airscrew Stripper Just Can't Handle Spruce

I'm trying to make a small model of a Northrup Primary and making the fuse (just a couple of sticks) out of 1/8th balsa looked risky, but my balsa stripper definitely balks at spruce. I've got quite a bit of spruce lying around, but no easy way to get straight slices. I could do a crude job with my band saw and then spend the rest of the day cleaning it up, but I think I've got a better way!

This is adapted from a gizmo I first made to do purfling on musical instruments. It worked really well in it's first incarnation and a quick test indicates that I probably have a pretty decent power stripper. It's too early in the morning to give it a full test, and I have to clamp it in my bench vice, which is buried under tons of modeling detritus, so a full test will have to wait. I expect it to work pretty well since I already used it in a similar (table based) set-up. BTW, the vice clamps onto the wood underneath the table rather than the Dremel tool.

Hmm... I might make another one (wunnadeezdaze) with the saw blade vertical and on top of the wood, spinning towards the oncoming wood. More like my flying buddy's radial arm saw, which works very well. This is adapted from stuff lying around. I hope I don't have to!

Edit:

Well I tried it and it works! It is best to run it wide open. I tried to run it at medium power and the blade got hot and finally I managed to jam it. At full power it cuts smooth if you feed smooth and I think the blade gets better cooling by feeding on fresh cool wood. Not kidding!

Gotta go cut some wood for my primary. If I get it done I will post pictures here even though this is an electric powered forum. If all goes well I will put a video camera on it, so maybe it belongs in the FPV forum. Also indoor and scale glider while I'm at it!

Maybe I should finish it first though.. .

Edit Again:

Cut all the spruce strips I need. Found some very close grain spruce, so I even have scale grain!

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by PeteSchug; Nov 30, 2010 at 11:12 AM.
Old Nov 30, 2010, 05:43 PM
Two left thumbs
Muncie, IN
Joined Sep 2006
4,233 Posts
Good idea, Pete. If you're either rich or lazy or both you can buy the Dremel router table which can be used in the same way.

Geoff
GeoffinIN is offline Find More Posts by GeoffinIN
Old Nov 30, 2010, 06:32 PM
Or current resident
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Jul 2002
4,746 Posts
Thats a cool tool idea Pete.
One question, where did you find the saw blade?
I wore the teeth slap off of mine years ago and haven't been able to find a replacement.
Glenn
glewis is online now Find More Posts by glewis
Old Dec 01, 2010, 04:27 AM
South of Boston, Ma.
Joined Mar 2004
1,273 Posts
Dremel discontinued the saw blades a long time ago.
They could open you up like the sharpest scalpel if you weren't careful.
Don't ask me how I know...
Skyshark is offline Find More Posts by Skyshark
Old Dec 01, 2010, 04:45 AM
Turkey
Joined May 2002
2,171 Posts
For cutting lots of bass strips I use this Unimat saw table attachment I had made years ago. The height is adjustable. The saw blade is a 0.8 mm circular mill blade, but that causes trouble because it has no set in the teeth. The strip binds up easily while cutting, if wood exists on both sides of the saw disc and the motion is not exactly parallel to its plane. My solution is to cut the strips slightly oversize and then make a final cut, with a slight angle between the strip and disc, so the excess is gone. It gives a very fine surface needing almost no sanding.

Bulent
bmutlugil is offline Find More Posts by bmutlugil
Old Dec 01, 2010, 07:19 AM
Joined Apr 2004
7,030 Posts
Interesting about the saw blades not being made anymore! Mine is quite burned but still cuts well. I guess I will have to get out my diamond needle files and a jeweler's loupe if the teeth start to go. Not kidding, and it will probably only take fifteen minutes or so to resharpen the teeth.

I'm in NYC and I will poke around looking for sources. I also always attend the WRAM show I'm a WRAM member and I am forced to attend for not only the three days of the show, but for setting up the two days prior. For me that's a bit like turning a kid loose in a toy shop at Christmas with a bunch of blank checks and no conscience.

There are usually a couple or three vendors who sell all sorts of stuff for Dremel tools that are not from Dremel. Large diameter diamond cutoff wheels for one. They would be like a slow cutting saw blade with plenty of set. The diamond is also deposited on both sides of the blade for about 1/16th. Worst case I would try that. One of the tool vendors is basically an HO model railroad supplier and he is flipped by the attention his tool get from RC modelers. He's my first choice for odd tools. If I had his business address I would post it.

Edit:

Ah... Found it. I ordered some stuff at the show and I found the box it was sent in.

http://www.ehobbytools.com/

He has a great variety of saw blades and mandrels. Most look bigger than the standard one that used to come with Dremel sets, but there seem to be a few smaller diameter ones that are part of mandrel and sawblade sets. Worth a try. Also lots of diamond cut off wheels with diamond on the sides to act a bit like set teeth. Mostly pretty large. I like the diamond stuff best since all other types of cutoff wheels are likely to shatter unexpectedly. I don't have goggles at home, but my normal eye glasses are plastic, which I think are polycarbonate.

I never line up with anything that can shatter, goggles or no. That includes grinding wheels with windows on them

Pete
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by PeteSchug; Dec 01, 2010 at 08:16 AM.
Old Dec 01, 2010, 08:43 AM
South of Boston, Ma.
Joined Mar 2004
1,273 Posts
Fantastic Pete!!
Just in time! I am down to my last Dremel saw.
Just a note to anyone using one of these circular saws in a Dremel type tool, USE EXTREME CAUTION!! I cannot express hard enough how fast these saws cut through flesh!! Get careless and it is off to the emergency room or worse!
Jim
Skyshark is offline Find More Posts by Skyshark
Old Dec 01, 2010, 09:10 AM
Elyria, Ohio
Joined Sep 2004
723 Posts
If your looking for a sharp blade that is strong and as sharp as a scalple go to a carpet supply store and get yor hands on a Persona carpet blade . Mine are silver in color and have sharp square corners . They can be broken in half like the old carbon shaving blades but please use pliers when doing so. Mine came in a box of one hundred but perhaps you can get them from an installer in a smaller quanity.

Mike1484
Mike1484 is offline Find More Posts by Mike1484
Old Dec 01, 2010, 02:44 PM
Or current resident
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Jul 2002
4,746 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyshark View Post
USE EXTREME CAUTION!! I cannot express hard enough how fast these saws cut through flesh!! Jim
Yeah, I know....
Lucky the few times I cut myself with one it was not serious.
I think I still have my old worn out one somewhere, maybe I should sit down and sharpen it. Funny how fast cutting G10 fiberglass dulls a saw blade....

Dremel now sells a larger version saw blade with a million warnings about only using it with the saw guard, saftey glasses, seat belts, grab handles,, air bags,,,,,
Old Dec 01, 2010, 03:12 PM
Joined Apr 2004
7,030 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glewis View Post
Yeah, I know....
Lucky the few times I cut myself with one it was not serious.
I think I still have my old worn out one somewhere, maybe I should sit down and sharpen it. Funny how fast cutting G10 fiberglass dulls a saw blade....[snip],
That's what diamond cutoff wheels are for!

In my wilder, younger days I was a White Water kayaker and a friend repaired my kayak for me, and used a Dremel tool with a plain old cutoff wheel to trim off excess fiber glass.

I don't want to give the impression that white water kayaking is a "wild" sport, but I did drive a bit faster than the numbers on the signs along the road said was safe on my way too and from rivers and camp grounds.

I once got flagged down by a police officer in a neighboring state. He had gone whizzing by me to catch a speeder. My heart was in my mouth but all he said was that the lines holding my kayak down were slack in the rear. I said it really doesn't matter since the wind lifts the front of the kayak and slackens the ropes. I didn't add that it only happened at speeds well above the posted limit.

Them was my wild days. Now I just set the cruise control for a few notches past the numbers on the signs and hope that I blend in. The plane in the back seat makes a nice conversation piece and an officer engaged in conversation doesn't always give tickets.

Pete the babbler!
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some Books About Flying
Old Dec 01, 2010, 04:06 PM
Or current resident
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Jul 2002
4,746 Posts
When I was cutting fiberglass there were no diamond disks for the Dremel that I knew of. Regular cutoff disks were useless for cutting G10, it would burn the material, smoke and stink to high heaven! Once you get that smoke in your nose you'll smell it for two days.

Yep, in my younger days it was fast cars, fast motorcycles, fast boats,
and yes,,,fast women...
Glenn
Old Dec 01, 2010, 08:17 PM
Check your six
New Jersey
Joined Sep 2002
1,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glewis View Post
When I was cutting fiberglass there were no diamond disks for the Dremel that I knew of. Regular cutoff disks were useless for cutting G10, it would burn the material, smoke and stink to high heaven! Once you get that smoke in your nose you'll smell it for two days.

Yep, in my younger days it was fast cars, fast motorcycles, fast boats,
and yes,,,fast women...
Glenn
Yeah me too Glenn! In my younger days it was building fast cars and chasing fast women. Today I only chase fast airplanes after they land! Marty
martys is offline Find More Posts by martys