HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by P. Tritle, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 08:50 PM
My hangar is,... "almost" full
Everett, Washington
Joined May 2003
3,980 Posts
I haven't used an exacto blade in about 10 years,.... a scalpel is way better. Blades on ebay.
No Step is online now Find More Posts by No Step
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Please visit my Hangar,.....
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 13, 2010, 07:52 PM
Joined Mar 2007
151 Posts
Measuring calipers/dividers are really easy to make with some hardwood, pins for the tips, and a nut/bolt fastener. These work awesome for measuring tight inside spaces. It's far more accurate than a ruler.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_CrG2YiT_tZ...20/Divider.jpg

Nole
nolebotic is offline Find More Posts by nolebotic
Old Sep 09, 2010, 04:21 PM
Build 'em break 'em fix 'em
Joined Oct 2009
439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiperCub49 View Post
Yep, those are the exact ones that I'm using Mark.

It's nice to see that you guys have gotten some use out of this idea. I like the modifications.
So how do you cut/break/divide the two edged blades without having to take a trip to the ER???
Inquiring minds want to know!
chinaclipper63 is offline Find More Posts by chinaclipper63
Old Sep 09, 2010, 06:58 PM
Übung macht den Meister..
United States, OR, Fairview
Joined Jul 2006
3,019 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaclipper63 View Post
So how do you cut/break/divide the two edged blades without having to take a trip to the ER???
Well, you have someone else do it, of course!

As I recall doing it as a kid, to break the blade in half, I just bent the thing with my fingers until it broke! To break the half to a point, I took a pair of needle nose pliers and held the blade at the desired angle and pressed it against the building board until it snapped. Holding something over the blade for that operation kept any shrapnel from going "astray!"

If I was to do this now, I'd use pliers for all the operations, and wear safety glasses, as well as holding something over the blade while doing it all.

But maybe that's just part of getting older and wiser!

James
Deuce is offline Find More Posts by Deuce
Old Sep 09, 2010, 07:58 PM
Two left thumbs
Muncie, IN
Joined Sep 2006
4,245 Posts
The old carbon steel blades broke much more cleanly than the stainless variety.
This is a case wherein "progress" is more fad than actual progress.
GeoffinIN is offline Find More Posts by GeoffinIN
Old Sep 10, 2010, 08:24 AM
United States, MA, Boston
Joined Jun 2006
1,080 Posts
I just used two pairs of pliars and the carbon steel baldes would snap VERY cleanly.

I've found the stainless steel blades to be ENTIRELY inferior to the ol carbon steel blades I have.
umdpru is online now Find More Posts by umdpru
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 10, 2010, 10:31 PM
Playing with AutoCAD!
United States, ME
Joined Oct 2008
2,654 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaclipper63 View Post
I have found that tin snips work well for me. Glenn uses regular old scissors, and that works well for him. The nice thing about cutting the blades versus snapping them is that you can easily cut at desired angles and make the tips as sharp as you want.

-PC49
PiperCub49 is offline Find More Posts by PiperCub49
Old Sep 11, 2010, 08:29 AM
Joined Jun 2006
1,080 Posts
with the carbon steel blades, you can snap em easily at any angle you need.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 11, 2010, 09:00 AM
Or current resident
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Jul 2002
4,829 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by umdpru View Post
with the carbon steel blades, you can snap em easily at any angle you need.
I have stainless steel blades bought from the drug store. They bend when you break them leaving a 'hook' on the point. They are easy to cut with an old pair of scissors to leave a straight point.
I would prefer the harder steel.
Where do you get the carbon steel blades?
Glenn
glewis is offline Find More Posts by glewis
Old Sep 11, 2010, 09:41 AM
Playing with AutoCAD!
United States, ME
Joined Oct 2008
2,654 Posts
Glenn,

I'm not sure if you're asking Umdpru where he gets his blades in particular, but the Candidius blades are carbon steel and are available from A2Z. I have heard rumors that you can pick up the old, good shaving blades in bulk from Ebay. They are supposedly sold under antique shaving stuffs.

-PC49
PiperCub49 is offline Find More Posts by PiperCub49
Old Sep 11, 2010, 08:48 PM
Joined Jun 2006
1,080 Posts
Quote:
Where do you get the carbon steel blades
I don't anymore. That's the problem. I got about 50 five-packs from an old timer who got them himself from a swap meet. I can't find anymore and I'm nearly out. When I use the drug-store stainless ones, I'm sorely dissapointed.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 12, 2010, 01:31 AM
Übung macht den Meister..
United States, OR, Fairview
Joined Jul 2006
3,019 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by umdpru View Post
I don't anymore. That's the problem. I got about 50 five-packs from an old timer who got them himself from a swap meet. I can't find anymore and I'm nearly out. When I use the drug-store stainless ones, I'm sorely dissapointed.
I purchased some from A2Z hobbies: https://www.a2zcorp.us/store/Category.asp?Cguid={F37C827D-8C76-4D52-933B-E78FF778AC67}&Category=ModelTools%3AKnivesBladesSt ripper

Okay, for whatever reason, that link just doesn't copy/paste correctly. Remove the space in the last word "Stripper," after you paste it into your browser...

James
Deuce is offline Find More Posts by Deuce
Old Sep 27, 2010, 09:49 PM
Master of the figure 9
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined May 2004
2,677 Posts
Small tap holder. I purchased and new 4-40 tap and when I got home I realized that it was too small for my holder. Then I saw a prop adaptor on my work bench. It was too small so I went thru my adaptors and found an adaptor that held it prefectly. I installed an old prop for the handle. Works like a charm.

David
Old Man is offline Find More Posts by Old Man
Old Sep 28, 2010, 10:26 PM
Two left thumbs
Muncie, IN
Joined Sep 2006
4,245 Posts
Clever!!!
GeoffinIN is offline Find More Posts by GeoffinIN
Old Sep 29, 2010, 04:05 AM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,050 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man View Post
Small tap holder. I purchased and new 4-40 tap and when I got home I realized that it was too small for my holder. Then I saw a prop adaptor on my work bench. It was too small so I went thru my adaptors and found an adaptor that held it prefectly. I installed an old prop for the handle. Works like a charm.

David
Very neat idea, especially for me since I don't think I have a tap handle. I use my drill press, but that's not always possible on a model.

I see you consider yourself the master of the figure nine. Here is an on board video of a figure nine right out of a hand launch. I was planning to fly FPV and my flying buddy was on the box, but the problem was the servo had come off the double stick tape rendering elevator control moot.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=538618

(I'm the one with the goggles on in the brief inverted glimpse.)

Hmm... I know I once bought a tap handle. Maybe I used it to hold a prop on a plane???

Edit: As soon as I get things a bit cleaned up around here I have an interesting project/tool I plan to make and will post if it works as planned.

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug