HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 28, 2002, 06:36 PM
TN
Joined May 2000
1,136 Posts
Aeronaut F7F Tigercat at SEFF

Hey Guys

I put in some long days to get some planes finished for SEFF, the F7F-3 Tigercat from Aeronaut was one of them. Did the classic, "bring the airplane to the event to test fly". With the help of good friend David Payne all went as well as I could possibly have wanted. We test flew the plane for the first time Friday evening just before dark, all went perfectly. We were then able to fly the plane in the noon time demo's on Saturday and Sunday. The group seemed to enjoy the big twin go thru it's paces, one thing that stood out was how quiet it is, kind of odd actually.

The basic specs:

52 wing span, 426 sq.in. wing area, 79oz. flying weight.
2-AXI 2814/12 Outrunner Motors
2-Jeti 30-3 Brushless Controllers (didn't use the BEC on either)
1-8 Cell, CP-2400SCR NiCad pack
2-10x7 Aeronaut Carbon Props

Flight times about 5-6 min. (We flew more like 4-5 during the demo's)
Very easy to hand launch, lots of power.

I will post some video clips on Monday.

Mike Hines
Hiflyer is offline Find More Posts by Hiflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 28, 2002, 06:42 PM
TN
Joined May 2000
1,136 Posts
Sorry I forgot to attach the static photo.

Mike H
Old Jun 28, 2002, 08:11 PM
EDF all the way!
Gilbert, Az
Joined Jun 1999
8,020 Posts
Tigercat

Working on mine. Trying to decide fixed gear or retracts. I'm using 2 AXI 2820/10 motors. The kit is very nice. Well guys should I go fixed or retracts? The retract are EJF micro's they are smaller than the micro Spring Air version. Here in Arizona I have to have LG due to the dirt and rocks at our flying site.
bruff is online now Find More Posts by bruff
Old Jun 28, 2002, 08:14 PM
ὅπερ ἔδει δεῖξαι
Joined May 2000
3,339 Posts
Mike, that was a real nice looking model. Looked realistic in flight too. How is it going to be sold, as an ARF or ARTC? Here's a photo I took with it nestled amongst the Hobby Lobby fleet:
Gerald is offline Find More Posts by Gerald
Old Jun 28, 2002, 10:57 PM
EDF all the way!
Gilbert, Az
Joined Jun 1999
8,020 Posts
Tigercat

My kit is fiberglass fuselage, nacells and prebuilt balsa builtup wings,horizontal stab. All the bulkheads are die cut. Includes all misc hardward to assembly the kit. The quality is fantastic. It is a pleasure to build.
bruff is online now Find More Posts by bruff
Old Jun 28, 2002, 11:05 PM
Head...Paper...Now!
Valley Village, California, United States
Joined Mar 2002
1,264 Posts
Retracts

RETRACTS!!!!

Bruff

I would rather have no landing gear and
belly it in, then have a WARBIRD with fixed gear.

But thats just me.

John
JFGrn is offline Find More Posts by JFGrn
Old Jun 29, 2002, 12:34 AM
Cape Coral, FL
Joined Nov 2001
1,910 Posts
Re: Retracts

Quote:
Originally posted by bruff
Well guys should I go fixed or retracts? The retract are EJF micro's they are smaller than the micro Spring Air version.
I've been searching for some small retracts. Can you please elaborate on these you mention? Who sells them? A website maybe? Any info is most appreciated.

I'm considering retracts in a small B-25, but I think the mains have to rotate as they go back. I'll bet I'm out of luck there.

Oh. Sorry to stray from the subject. Your Tigercat looks veeery nice. I wish I was there. I had the SEFF flyer pinned to my bulletin board for 3 months, then I FORGOT !!!! Ughh. 30 lashes.

Derek
DerekB is offline Find More Posts by DerekB
Last edited by DerekB; Jun 29, 2002 at 12:37 AM.
Old Jun 29, 2002, 04:04 AM
Joined Aug 2000
3,920 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Gerald
Mike, that was a real nice looking model:
It looks great.

What did you cover the wings with, and what paint finish did you use?

Gordon
Gordon is offline Find More Posts by Gordon
Old Jun 29, 2002, 11:59 AM
TN
Joined May 2000
1,136 Posts
Gerald
Thanks for adding the photo from SEFF. The plane is an ARTC like Bruff said. The quality of the Aeronaut kits is second to none, super glass work with seams that are as fine as I have ever seen. In that I did not add retracts, the construction was very straight forward. The wings and stab are balsa built up and done to a very high standard, aside from cutting the ailerons free, there was little to do. Kit comes with a full size black line drawing that is beautiful in its own right.

Gordon
I covered the wings and tail with Insignia Blue Monocote and the painted fuselage, nacelles and cowls were done with the matching LustreKote paint. I have had good luck with this paint on gelcoated fiberglass parts. I just wash and wetsand the parts (400-600 wet and dry paper), dry them and clean them off with a tack rag, then just paint them without primer. I have gotten a lot smoother results without the primer than with and so far no adhesion problems.

Bruff
Really glad that you are enjoying the building of the F7F, so did I. With the larger AXI's that you are using, you should have tons of power. I used the Speed 500-600 Aeronaut motor mounts for my motors. I had to epoxy the air holes in the firewall back in so that the mounting had a place to attach. Worked quite well. The wing loading of this model is pretty high, but you would never know it in the air, it slowed down well without any bad stalls. Please keep us updated on your progress with the retracts, I think that it will be great!

Mike Hines
Old Jun 29, 2002, 11:40 PM
jah
BALD MEMBER
North Georgia
Joined Nov 2001
1,851 Posts
Some more Pics from Saturday at SEFF
jah is offline Find More Posts by jah
Old Jun 29, 2002, 11:41 PM
jah
BALD MEMBER
North Georgia
Joined Nov 2001
1,851 Posts
More Sat SEFF pics
Old Jun 29, 2002, 11:41 PM
jah
BALD MEMBER
North Georgia
Joined Nov 2001
1,851 Posts
One more
Old Jun 29, 2002, 11:42 PM
jah
BALD MEMBER
North Georgia
Joined Nov 2001
1,851 Posts
Yet more
Old Jun 29, 2002, 11:43 PM
jah
BALD MEMBER
North Georgia
Joined Nov 2001
1,851 Posts
At Rest!

Last TC pic
Old Jun 29, 2002, 11:44 PM
jah
BALD MEMBER
North Georgia
Joined Nov 2001
1,851 Posts
Beautiful plane, one of the first thing's I noticed is how quiet, and fast! I don't know if you are the indiviual I talked to, but I was sold on the Hellcat. I got the maiden flight in this afternoon. Great plane. Here is a pic!