HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 28, 2002, 02:30 PM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,458 Posts
How many tree landings have you made with your foamie?

This is a foamie question because most other planes wouldn't have survived even one of my tree landings and I now have two great tree landings with my Zagi. The first was a couple years ago with Zagi while on a church campout in the High Sierra. While looping back to the small space I launched from I lost signal and the plane self landed in a Ponderosa Pine high off the ground. It stayed there several days until a windstorm blew it out of the tree and I had to drive three hours plus each way to retrive it. This past weekend I did landing number 2 in a local tree at the neighborhood park. I was sure I was in front of tree on my final approach for landing when suddenly the plane entered the tree from behind and lodged there. 60 throws and about 15 hits later with baseballs and I had my Zagi back with a need to retape an elevon but otherwise it was fine. (Well as good as it was when it went in.) That was flight # 603 with the Zagi and it is now at 608. It is one of only two planes I have landed in a tree although I have touched the tops of a pine with a glider once or twice for the fun of it. My other tree landing was with a parkflier, Mad Max, on my own street when the speed controller failed and the plane stopped responding to the transmitter and flew straight into a neighbors tree.
I am sure that some of you have much better stories about your tree landings and I hope you will share them. I wonder who will get the record for most tree landings.
Michael Heer is offline Find More Posts by Michael Heer
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Michael Heer; Jun 28, 2002 at 02:33 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 28, 2002, 02:45 PM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,458 Posts
Close up of latest "landing"
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 28, 2002, 02:46 PM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,458 Posts
full tree shot

Here you get the full effect of my great depth perception.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 28, 2002, 03:03 PM
Oskaloosa, IA
Joined Apr 2002
363 Posts
Well, I don't have any "tree landing" stories to tell, mainly because where I live there are not many trees to land in.

But, I have "landed" my Razor 400 on top of the Radio impound shed. A gust of wind caught it on final and blew it over the fence and on top of the shed. Luckily no one was hurt and we all had a big laugh instead.

And I "landed" that same airplane withing 6 inches of a pond (cow pond that is) trying to avoid a few trees while I was at another flying field.

No pics though, so there is no proof. (other than witnesses).
latch66 is offline Find More Posts by latch66
Old Jun 28, 2002, 03:13 PM
Near Austin
Joined Dec 2001
5,398 Posts
We've been in almost every cedar tree on my property and some of the surrounding property as well! The way we play aerial "tag" with our ZagNutz, we kind of consider a tree landing a GOOD landing!

CenTexFlyer
CenTexFlyer is offline Find More Posts by CenTexFlyer
Old Jun 28, 2002, 03:33 PM
Toledo Ohio, USA!
Joined Dec 2001
647 Posts
i havent had any tree landings, We have 1 tree i nmy 60 acre field, and i managed to hit it, it bounced off the trunk, so it wasnt exactly a tree landing
Gonflyin01 is offline Find More Posts by Gonflyin01
Old Jun 28, 2002, 03:39 PM
Amarillo,Texas
Joined Jan 2002
17 Posts
tree? whats a tree? we aint got no tree's...
hawkeye_abm is offline Find More Posts by hawkeye_abm
Old Jun 28, 2002, 03:42 PM
I ain't got it!!!
USA, SC, Spartanburg
Joined Apr 2001
867 Posts
Tree Landings

I can claim 3 (2 in one night with the same plane). Two were with the Wingo I had, the other was with one of my Push E Cats.
Flying Low is offline Find More Posts by Flying Low
Old Jun 28, 2002, 03:48 PM
Oskaloosa, IA
Joined Apr 2002
363 Posts
At our club we do have a story about a fellow club member (still is) who landed an airplane in one of our few trees a few years ago.

He couldn't climb the tree, so he got a chainsaw to cut the tree down.

The tree (in an act of revenge) then "landed" on top of the airplane he was trying to retrieve.
Old Jun 28, 2002, 05:42 PM
Pennsylvania
Joined Dec 2001
87 Posts

I've used a tree to catch my trick razor twice now. I had to use a 20 foot extension pole to get it down once, and my buddy climbed the tree the other time! Luckily no damage was done either time except torn tape and ripped off winglets. The area I fly in is a 11 acre field that is surrounded by woods, but the trees I landed in were along my road. Oh well.
HILDY is offline Find More Posts by HILDY
Old Jul 08, 2002, 08:06 AM
Oskaloosa, IA
Joined Apr 2002
363 Posts
Well, It finally happened.

I took my Razor on vacation and landed it in a tree (more like a large bush than a tree). Didn't even have to climb to get it back. It just fell back to earth.

I was being lazy and trying to land it as close to me (and the van) as possible so I wouldn't have to walk.

No damage other than a "chipped" leading edge which was easily repaired with some white glue.

It flew again on the next day.

Once again, no picks, no camera, no witnesses.
Old Jul 08, 2002, 12:35 PM
Outside of Dyer, Tn. USA
Joined May 2000
7,135 Posts
21 times to date. My depth perception stinks. I keep a fishing rod and PVC pole handy at all times while flying. Didn't you know that trees have magnetic fields that attract batteries and motor magnets??
Don Sims is offline Find More Posts by Don Sims
Old Jul 08, 2002, 12:41 PM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,458 Posts
Don you are winning so far

With 21 landings announced so far you are the leading candidate for the Woody award. We will keep the slate open for new candidates for awhile longer but that is a hard number to overtake. Mike
Now I know why you want a float plane, to get away from those darn trees...but watch out for lawyer eating alligators when you play in the water with your float plane...they have been known to eat non lawyers on occassion.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 08, 2002, 02:16 PM
Liverpool, UK
Joined Jun 2002
456 Posts
Managed to put my T-Hawk into a tree 3 times. First 2 times, there were quite low bushy trees, and managed to shake it down. Yesterday I landed quite high in a tree with no low branches

Took an extendable ladder and three brush handles taped together to get it down, and crumpled the wing when it fell But, at least I got it back, just waiting for a new wing now, and also expecting a Multiplex Cub kit tomorrow.
charlatan is offline Find More Posts by charlatan
Old Jul 08, 2002, 02:40 PM
EFlight=Fun,Big-T=BIG FUN
San Antonio, TX, USA
Joined Jan 2001
964 Posts
I think I own this record

Zagi #1 - I stopped counting how many times it "landed" in a tree after a while. Once lost him over the highway into a heavily wooded area where he was found 30 dyas later and returned by a construction worker. A tree finally killed him after 9 months of learning to fly R/C.
Zagi #2 - ditto. Currently, undergoing complete renovation with a cobalt motor.
T-52 - aka "Tree Finder". Number of times in a tree does not matter, he likes them all - mesquite, oak, pine, thorny what-ever. Currently, in a very sad way, looking to donate electrics to another airframe.
Big-T - He has also landed in a number of trees and his custom 8ft wing makes getting him down "interesting". Ready to fly as soon as the field dries out.
Wally Wonder Wing - 4 times in 5 trees. He actually got stuck with each wing in a different tree! Ready to fly.
SoarStar - almost every flight (about 20-30) until a radio malf killed it.
Windstar (not a foamie) - son stalled it directly over a large oak tree. It soft laned in the crown than slowly slid over and down to stick itself in the mud, buried up the the LE. Minor damage, ready to fly.

We have 2 fields - big and small.
I found a tree at the big field - it is in the no fly zone (windy!).
Our small field is surrounded by thick wooded area.
We keep four pieces of PVC pipe (bell ends) under the bleachers for those "unplanned" landings.
Check out my nick name and you will why I claim this "honor".
I even found a tree at the Heart of Texas Soaring Society site (where there are darn few trees!).
bjsiegel@texas.net is offline Find More Posts by bjsiegel@texas.net