HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 14, 2006, 05:27 PM
Joined Mar 2006
1 Posts
Discussion
Artesania Latina's "Amsterdam" tug

Hi all,

New to this forum and leaping in with my first question - I am trying to find info on the "Amsterdam" tug that Artesania Latina produce in 1:50 scale.

The usual Google searches don't turn up anything on the prototype and I can't find anything relating to what the model is based on. I have an old kit and some of the plans, and wish to rebuild it (I have the hull and half-completed superstructure) but would like to base it on something.

Does anyone know where I can find info on the real Amsterdam - if there was such a thing - or if not called that, then the type of tug it was based on?

Any help appreciated!

Regards,

Darren
Melbourne, Australia
ModelShipwright_ is offline Find More Posts by ModelShipwright_
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 15, 2006, 09:36 AM
Boats on the brain!!
Arnold, Mo.
Joined Jul 2005
4,534 Posts
On one of these forums there is an entire thread devoted to the Amsterdam with pictures of the model and the real one. Type Amsterdam into the forums search window.
green-boat is offline Find More Posts by green-boat
Old Mar 15, 2006, 09:58 AM
Newburgh New York
Joined May 2005
823 Posts
this might help.
there is one on eBay now.
: TECHNICAL DATA: LENGTH 1060MM, BEAM 250MM, HEIGHT 600MM. THE AMSTERDAM TUGBOAT WAS BUILT AT THE JOHAN ALKERS SHIPYARD IN HAMBURG, GERMANY IN 1971. IT WAS SPECIALLY BUILT TO HANDLE AND SERVE VERY LARGE SHIPS AND SUPER TANKERS OF THIS MODERN AGE. THREE OTHER SISTER-SHIPS WERE BUILT, CALLED MALABAR, TENACE AND CENTOUR, AND THESE ARE SERVING AT THEIS MOMENT WITH THE FRENCH NAVY. COPYRIGHT 1995, ARTESANIA LATINA, S.A. MAKE IN SPAIN. REF. 20201
wingnut163 is offline Find More Posts by wingnut163
Old Mar 15, 2006, 10:22 AM
Boats on the brain!!
Arnold, Mo.
Joined Jul 2005
4,534 Posts
Modelshipwright,

I've pm'd you.
green-boat is offline Find More Posts by green-boat
Old Mar 17, 2006, 08:49 AM
Micronaut
Palmdale, CA
Joined Dec 2005
120 Posts
Darren,

The Amsterdam was the lead ship in what my research seems to indicate was a 4-ship series. I'll have to check my records, but I believe 1 unit is serving with the French Navy, and two with the British Fleet (or reverse). Those units are painted gray, and have considerable differences in superstructure and top hamper from the kit. Window placement is different, and all units subsequent to the Amsterdam herself used life rafts instead of lifeboats, eliminating the need for the boat davits.

The Amsterdam herself was lost (to my understanding ) when she ran aground after the loss of her main reduction gear. You can find some information on her if you search the Wijsmuller site.

There's a video of my model (under construction) that kmot kindly posted yesterday. It takes a while to load: the buffering seems to be working strangely. You'll see the start of the paint scheme. The box top is all wrong.

I have a number of pictures that I'll post here. They are on my home computer, so that will be later today. The only information I don't have for colors is the deck: I intend to make it green, but have not been able to identify a good color or source for that. The predominant colors are black, white (Latina got those right), blue (about Ford engine blue in place of most of the orange) and medium brown (lifeboat trim, davits, aft hatch, bulwarks)

Hope that helps a little for now, and I'll try to post those pix tonight of all of the ships in the class.

ERic
Micronaut is offline Find More Posts by Micronaut
Old Mar 17, 2006, 08:57 AM
Micronaut
Palmdale, CA
Joined Dec 2005
120 Posts
Darren,

Only real problem I had with the kit was that the two forward frames seem to be a little too large, and stretched the hull plastic a little. With the hull finished, you can see the location of the ribs if the light is right.

I would also recommend replacing the smaller pieces of wood (1.5 mm x 1.5 mm, and a few larger) with plastic if possible. The wood is very porous, and tough to fill and still look like metal.

When you build the "macks" (mast/stacks), be carefull that you build them so that they are mirror images of each other (don't ask....)

The cast fittings have large seams, so that is a bit of work. On the aft double tow bit, I just rebuilt the unit from plastic Evergreen pipe. Of course, that had it's own problems.

ERic
Old Mar 17, 2006, 08:10 PM
Micronaut
Palmdale, CA
Joined Dec 2005
120 Posts
Amsterdam/Malabar/Tenace pictures

As promised, here are some pix I've accumulated over the last few years for my Amsterdam build. I don't know the sources, as I scavenged them where and when I could, and have switched computers about three times since then. My apologies for no credits.
Old Mar 17, 2006, 08:56 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,315 Posts
I found windows on Malabar!
http://www.shipspotting.com/modules/...php?lid=135754

Here's Tenace:
http://www.shipspotting.com/modules/....php?lid=72362

Pat M
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Old Mar 20, 2006, 10:28 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
22,911 Posts
More info. Apprently the Iranians bagged it.

http://www.zeesleepvaart.com/amsterdamII.eng.htm
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Mar 20, 2006, 10:36 PM
Grumpa Tom
Joined Sep 2003
22,911 Posts
Gold mine!

http://www.tugspotters.com/tugs/amsterdam.htm
Old Mar 20, 2006, 10:40 PM
Grumpa Tom
Joined Sep 2003
22,911 Posts
Malabar!

http://www.tugspotters.com/tugs/malabar.htm
Old Mar 20, 2006, 10:41 PM
Grumpa Tom
Joined Sep 2003
22,911 Posts
Tenace!

http://www.tugspotters.com/tugs/TENACE.A.669.htm
Old Mar 08, 2007, 09:59 AM
Liverpool, England.
Joined Mar 2007
19 Posts
Hi all. I just joined after seeing these pictures to say thank you! I've been looking for roughly 8 years for pictures, and only ever found one. (the one showing her roughly port amidships, sunny weather). Found this site by chance, whilst searching for the Tenace.

I've owned this model since I was 11, stopped sailing her for a few years whilst at school/college, and have just took her out of 'drydock' to prep her for sailing again. I'll post some pictures when she's done. Once again, thanks a lot, and it's a great site.
Jayshum is offline Find More Posts by Jayshum
Old Mar 08, 2007, 12:42 PM
Grumpa Tom
Joined Sep 2003
22,911 Posts
Jayshum, welcome to the forum! You need to know, that all of us here love pictures.

So please do post pictures of your models.
Old Feb 06, 2009, 07:33 PM
Datsmar
Gulf Coast of Mississippi
Joined Jun 2006
11 Posts
Hey Kmot

Thanks for the picture postings of the various Amsterdam hulls. I am 1/2 way through building one and the pictures have given me a whole to path to follow. I really like the French version. I like the Haze Gray ships ( 20 years in the USN). I'm just at the point where adding the small craft crane and the few items won't be a problem. The dome radars add a little class to it.

Will post some pictures when I get the masts finished...

Thanks again
Datsmar is offline Find More Posts by Datsmar