HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 13, 2006, 09:59 PM
Around the World
Scottsville, KY
Joined Jun 2002
5,641 Posts
Gallery
Solarfilm converts reporting for roll call

Ok guys, it seems that even the great Martin Hunter has become a recent convert to Solarfilm as evident from this recent quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Hunter
...I'm a solarfilm convert. I've decided that I shall be using solarfilm on everything weighing in at more than 5 oz. I like it that much...
I want to know how many more of you'uns there is. Don't just tell me about, let me see some pics.

If you're wondering what this new product is all about (really, its not that new) and some more information, you can check out this thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=308824

Ok, here's a couple of my examples and let's see yours.

Come on Solarfilm Converts!
cadconversions is offline Find More Posts by cadconversions
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 13, 2006, 10:00 PM
Around the World
Scottsville, KY
Joined Jun 2002
5,641 Posts
BTW, for those wanting to check out some quick info...

visit www.stevensaero.com and look under aerofilm. It's the same stuff just different name.
Old Mar 13, 2006, 10:08 PM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
Yes! I'm a convert and I'm not afraid to admit it! Bill knows this better than anyone as I just placed another $100 covering order

Martin
Martin Hunter is offline Find More Posts by Martin Hunter
Old Mar 14, 2006, 12:31 AM
Truss-Loc Monkey
Colorado Springs, CO
Joined Feb 2002
4,362 Posts
Appreciate the order Martin. I think Greg had you all packed and shipped when I left for the day. Ok, well I never really leave for the day - but I grab my bag and pretend to leave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Hunter
Yes! I'm a convert and I'm not afraid to admit it! Bill knows this better than anyone as I just placed another $100 covering order

Martin
Stevens AeroModel is offline Find More Posts by Stevens AeroModel
Old Mar 14, 2006, 12:36 AM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
Bill, I got the email so I suspect you're right Thanks for being so quick on the draw for this kind of stuff.

It's not much, but here's what I've done with solarfilm / solartrim so far. The Cessna 170 (also pictured above) was done in solartrim sheets and done without shrinking due to the discoloration of chrome when it gets heated. The red is partially solartrim and partially solarfilm but I defy you to tell one from the other when it's on. The red is true red unlike the Maxim Gorky

The Tupolev ANT-20 Maxim Gorky is covered in silver and dark red - nice strong Russian colors. The covering is plenty strong enough for this size of airplane and I can see no reason to ever use Ultracote in plain ol' colors again, even for things this size. As a contrast, the smaller ANT-20 is covered in solite - decent for the purpose but a little too transparent. By my best guess, I'd add about 1.5 to 2 oz to the AUW of the 64" Gorky (up from 20 oz AUW) were I to go with Solarfilm instead of solite.

Martin
Last edited by Martin Hunter; Mar 14, 2006 at 12:43 AM.
Old Mar 14, 2006, 01:12 AM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
Whoah.... frozen browser. Here are the pics.

Martin
Old Mar 14, 2006, 08:43 AM
Around the World
Scottsville, KY
Joined Jun 2002
5,641 Posts
Any other converts still lurking???
Old Mar 14, 2006, 09:16 AM
WAA-08 Survivor
Joined May 2004
2,631 Posts
You bet I do Solarfilm!

Lets see, here's my list so far: Stevensaero Stella, G-Ride, Groove and SQuiRT, Dandy sport, Dandy glider, Gambler DLG, Scratch built Sherpa, Scratch built Cessna 152, mini-Telemaster, telemaster aileron wing and Jitterbug. Yikes!--11 planes with this "new" covering. All of them include some solite, particularly on the bottom where I like my black and yellow bands. -Steve
Griffin is online now Find More Posts by Griffin
Old Mar 14, 2006, 10:29 AM
Around the World
Scottsville, KY
Joined Jun 2002
5,641 Posts
nice plans Steve!
Old Mar 14, 2006, 11:42 AM
Manhattan, Kansas, United States
Joined Oct 2001
3,501 Posts
I'm get'n there CAD, I threw some silver Solarfilm on my LA P51, and wow is it nice. The Solarfilm trim is great to work with as well.

-Mike
KSU Flyer is offline Find More Posts by KSU Flyer
Old Mar 14, 2006, 11:54 AM
Around the World
Scottsville, KY
Joined Jun 2002
5,641 Posts
Wow, Mike I've got something really special planned for your tyro when I can get to it. It involves White, transparent red, tranparent blue, and probably some metallic red/blue for the fuse. Glad to see some others are coming around. Hopefully Brian will start recommending solarfilm for the Mountain Models products soon
Old Mar 14, 2006, 12:07 PM
Miami, FL. USA
Joined Aug 2003
1,923 Posts
Erm. Hi. My name is James. I'm also converting to Solarfilm. Just covered the tail of a Laser Arts P-51. Yellow Solite is quite see-through, Solarfilm is much much better. I still went with Silver Solite for the fuse though, the Silver is pretty good.

Good stuff!

-James.
jamesgood72 is offline Find More Posts by jamesgood72
Old Mar 14, 2006, 12:17 PM
Around the World
Scottsville, KY
Joined Jun 2002
5,641 Posts
Good job on the Mustang James.
Old Mar 14, 2006, 01:29 PM
Manhattan, Kansas, United States
Joined Oct 2001
3,501 Posts
Hi James!
KSU Flyer is offline Find More Posts by KSU Flyer
Old Mar 14, 2006, 04:38 PM
Motor Maniac
Orange County, CA
Joined Feb 2002
2,874 Posts
One Solarfilm gripe: gold

I've got 4 or 5 rolls of Solarfilm and about a dozen rolls of Solite. So far I do prefer Solarfilm over Solite, especially the white. I'll take the slight weight penalty for the better opaqueness.

My one gripe is the gold Solarfilm. It is almost the same color as the silver Solarfilm. When I first opened my shipment that had both silver and gold I thought I had two rolls of silver. It wasn't until I did a close inspection in good light that I could make out the difference.
10Thumbs is offline Find More Posts by 10Thumbs